2 American journalists held in North Korea - 'very scared' as they await trial

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
The two American journalists held captive in North Korea are "very scared" as they await trial this week, relatives said Monday in their first public remarks.

"We are terrified and that's why we are here," said Lisa Ling, sister of Laura Ling, who was detained with fellow TV reporter Euna Lee on March 17.

The two women are charged with crossing the North Korean border from China and with other unspecified "hostile acts."

Their trial is slated to begin Thursday in Pyongyang's Central Court.

"We don't really know what to expect with this trial," Lisa Ling, also a television journalist, said on the "Today" show during an interview with the families. "The situation is so sensitive."

Relatives said they laid low so far in hope of a resolution.

But they decided to speak out as the trial date nears and tensions in the region escalating by the day.

Kim Jong-Il's regime tested a nuclear bomb and then launched a series of short-range missiles last week, sparking international outrage. Experts warn that the volatile and isolated nation may use the captured Americans as bargaining chips.

"We need to try to encourage our countries to talk to resolve this issue separate from the greater nuclear issue," Lisa Ling said.

She added that Ling and Lee had no intention to cross the border, but if they mistakenly had, "We, the families, apologize profusely on their behalf."

The detained reporters, who work for Current TV, a news organization founded by former Vice President Al Gore, received two visits from a Swedish diplomat since their capture and were allowed to send one letter and make one phone call to loved ones.

"They are very, very scared," Lisa Ling said.
Read more at below link:
Euna Lee, Laura Ling - American journalists held in North Korea - 'very scared' as they await trial

OH. MY. GOD.

I would be shitting my pants. A "trial" in North Korea? If they have any of those special suicide pills, this would be the time.

Good luck. '0_0

Have you guys ever seen pictures or documentaries about the place? It is seriously scary. Huge, amazing landmarks, imposing architecture, subways, highways, roads...

... but nobody there to use it.

Ahhh, scary shit!

I'm kind of surprised that I didnt find a thread about this here already:

BBC NEWS | Asia-Pacific | North Korea 'holds US reporters'

Thoughts?

I personally find it interesting that this comes at a time when relations between N. Korea and the U.S. arent excatly in tip top shape.

I wouldnt be too surprised if what the S. Korean media is saying is true: South Korean television station YTN and unnamed diplomatic sources said that North Korean guards crossed the Tumen river into Chinese territory to arrest the journalists.

Just another move in this giant friggin chess game.

The sister Lisa Ling had done documentaries about North Korea, and the situation there for ordinary citizens are dire. People are literally starving. The average North Korean is 3 inches shorter than the average South Korean.

I hope President Obama can intervene and work something out with the Kim Jong Il. I saw the family of Laura Ling on Larry King Live last night and they were worried and fearful about what could happen to Laura.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLN5LqY6XXM]YouTube - North Korea Grabs Two U.S. Journalists[/ame]

The two journalists were by Tumen River which is a border between N. Korea and China. It isn't clear whether they were in N. Korea or China.

This is just for show, they will be fine.

I hope so,, but I think there is a reason NK is being so aggressive,, working hand in hand and backed by Iran, and Hugo,, they are emboldened and I think these two will be used a pawns.. we'll see.

Well Al Gore had to bite his lip and call hillary for help. Maybe if someone sends him an IPOD loaded with Elvis and a pallet of Jack Daniels.

I hope so,, but I think there is a reason NK is being so aggressive,, working hand in hand and backed by Iran, and Hugo,, they are emboldened and I think these two will be used a pawns.. we'll see.

N. Korea should torture them. They might get some good information from them. But for sure torture them before letting them go.

No reason not to. Its not like we wouldn't torture them first.

And do not give them a fair trial. Just have a military tribunal, find them guilty, and then start a prison called Kimtanimo Bay N. Korea and humiliate these two and torture them until they confess.

Just like how they got John McCain to confess. Did John McCain give them credible intelligence? I guess he did since he thinks torture works.

Ah yes, all the enemies of the US. I bet you think Fedel has something to do with this too.

And I'm the conspiracy theorist. :cuckoo:

You do approve of these people being tortured, right wiwwow? If you can dish it out, I'm sure you can take it too, right?

And if you justify us doing it, why not justify the "enemy" doing it too?

And remember Bush gave N. Korea billions to stop firing off nukes and long range rockets? I thought we don't negotiate with terrorists? :eusa_liar:

How did a berserker like North Korea’s Kim Jong Il get the bomb in the first place? Answer: He bought it from the Dr. Strangelove of Pakistan in 2001 — while all our President’s men ordered our intelligence agents to keep their eyes shut tight.

On November 9, 2001, BBC Television Centre in London received a call from a phone booth just outside Washington. The call to our Newsnight team was part of a complex prearranged dance coordinated with the National Security News Service, a conduit for unhappy spooks at the CIA and FBI to unburden themselves of disturbing information and documents. The top-level U.S. intelligence agent on the line had much to be unhappy and disturbed about: a “back-off” directive.

How George Bush Gave Krazy Kim The Bomb | NWOTruth

So Reagan gave arms to Iran, we definately supplied Saddam with arms, and now we find out that we're the ones giving N. Korea their ammo?

And you doubt it is American weapons manufacturers who are supplying weapons to Mexico/Columbia? Sucker!!!

N. Korea should torture them. They might get some good information from them. But for sure torture them before letting them go.

No reason not to. Its not like we wouldn't torture them first.

And do not give them a fair trial. Just have a military tribunal, find them guilty, and then start a prison called Kimtanimo Bay N. Korea and humiliate these two and torture them until they confess.

Just like how they got John McCain to confess. Did John McCain give them credible intelligence? I guess he did since he thinks torture works.

You have doubts?? You think NK is gonna follow the army field manuel???

Forum List

Back