1950's book review of Paul Ryan's idol

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
Not only was this author one whom Paul Ryan demanded all of his (tax-payer funded ;) ) staff read but she was also Alan Greenspan's idol as well

Big Sister Is Watching You - Whittaker Chambers - National Review Online
Something of this implication is fixed in the book’s dictatorial tone, which is much its most striking feature. Out of a lifetime of reading, I can recall no other book in which a tone of overriding arrogance was so implacably sustained. Its shrillness is without reprieve. Its dogmatism is without appeal.
Can we agree that her tomes should (rightfully) be relegated to the dustbin of history & people like greenspan & Ryan's devotion be openly mocked :funnyface: ?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KmPLkiqnO8]William Buckley on Ayn Rand & Atlas Shrugged - YouTube[/ame]

discuss...

Are you saying people shouldn't avail themselves of ideas from all perspectives in order to understand the rational behind ideas, some of which they may agree or disagree? After all isn't that what education is all about? Or are you about suppressing ideas and opinions that are contrary to yours, come on fess up, what are your true motives for this post.

Are you saying people shouldn't avail themselves of ideas from all perspectives in order to understand the rational behind ideas, some of which they may agree or disagree? After all isn't that what education is all about? Or are you about suppressing ideas and opinions that are contrary to yours, come on fess up, what are your true motives for this post.

I'm saying her zaney novels are not the gospel as Ryan (R) & Greenspan have treated them as. Were you a college Republican by any chance?

This is Greenspan prior to his testimony and during the testimony he admitted his Randian theories (the markets policing themselves) didn't work

Greenspan: Financial Crisis Doesn?t Indict Ayn Rand Theories - ABC News

This is DURING his testimony:

Greenspan Says He Was Wrong On Regulation

Last edited:
Unfeeling

Scorn for charity and altruism

Lack of goodness

Yep, sounds EXACTLY like the Republican Party. Doesn't it?

Are you saying people shouldn't avail themselves of ideas from all perspectives in order to understand the rational behind ideas, some of which they may agree or disagree?

They will tell you what ideas to avail yourself of.

heres some more fun facts:

Ayn Rand - RationalWiki
Generally, the work of Ms. Rand is hugely enjoyed by people with the literary sensitivities of 11 year olds who imagine they have fierce political sophistication. These people, due to their often-slavish devotion to Objectivist principles, are often called Randroids.

Alan Greenspan is known to be one. So is U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (R - WI), who unfortunately is the chairman of the House Budget Committee ran for Vice President. Outsiders perceive them as greedy, callous wankers with economic OCD. Insiders know they are greedy, callous wankers with economic OCD.

Last edited:
And yet Alinsky books collect dust in every liberal library.

So, the author disagrees and find the writer arrogant. Nice of some to share their opinion and, as usual, can't tolerate the fact that some disagree. Thankfully, no one is forced to read and many just don't know how. If you get bored, there are always copies of Al Gore's books in the Goodwill stores for 1.00.

Unfeeling

Scorn for charity and altruism

Lack of goodness

Yep, sounds EXACTLY like the Republican Party. Doesn't it?

Paul Ryan, just like Ayn Rand, didn't pass up the opportunity to "get free stuff" from the taxpayers. Social security was there for when they needed it. Paul Ryan has brought in very little money that didn't come from the taxpayers to this day, but it didn't stop these two hypocrites from trying to destroy entitlements and criticize people that are helped by them. No way to prove it but I believe a good percentage of tea baggers on this board are getting "free stuff".

So, the author disagrees and find the writer arrogant. Nice of some to share their opinion and, as usual, can't tolerate the fact that some disagree. Thankfully, no one is forced to read and many just don't know how. If you get bored, there are always copies of Al Gore's books in the Goodwill stores for 1.00.

Did you run a dust test on library books in a few hundred libraries to come to this conclusion about Alinsky's books?

Not only was this author one whom Paul Ryan demanded all of his (tax-payer funded ;) ) staff read but she was also Alan Greenspan's idol as well

Big Sister Is Watching You - Whittaker Chambers - National Review Online
Something of this implication is fixed in the book’s dictatorial tone, which is much its most striking feature. Out of a lifetime of reading, I can recall no other book in which a tone of overriding arrogance was so implacably sustained. Its shrillness is without reprieve. Its dogmatism is without appeal.
Can we agree that her tomes should (rightfully) be relegated to the dustbin of history & people like greenspan & Ryan's devotion be openly mocked :funnyface: ?

discuss...

Whittaker Chambers and Buckley were both religious zealots, so it's hardly surprising that they would pan Ayn Rand, who was an atheist.

What this shows is that the left-wing belief that capitalism is "conservative" is erroneous. Capitalism is a radical program. It always has been.

I don't think either man looks to Rand's principles exclusively as both have a much broader education and experience. Free markets are capable of policing themselves with one major caveat, they have to function honestly. But to imply that Greenspan and Ryan rely solely on Rand for their philosophies is disingenuous at best. And no I was not a college Republican, in fact like most young people I had very little interest in politics back then.

heres some more fun facts:

Ayn Rand - RationalWiki
Generally, the work of Ms. Rand is hugely enjoyed by people with the literary sensitivities of 11 year olds who imagine they have fierce political sophistication. These people, due to their often-slavish devotion to Objectivist principles, are often called Randroids.

Alan Greenspan is known to be one. So is U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan (R - WI), who unfortunately is the chairman of the House Budget Committee ran for Vice President. Outsiders perceive them as greedy, callous wankers with economic OCD. Insiders know they are greedy, callous wankers with economic OCD.

If it's on Wiki, then it must be true!

Everyone knows that Wiki never lies.

Last I heard, Ayn Rand was req'd reading for serious college Repubs. Has that changed? Ryan, no doubt, was a college Repub.

Is Paul Ryan for or against Ayn Rand? - CNN.com
But that's not the way he was talking in 2005, when he gave a speech to the Atlas Society, a group dedicated to promoting Rand's beliefs.

In that speech, Ryan said, "I grew up reading Ayn Rand and it taught me quite a bit about who I am and what my value systems are and what my beliefs are. It's inspired me so much that it's required reading in my office for all my interns and my staff."

Its story merely serves Miss Rand to get the customers inside the tent, and as a soapbox for delivering her Message. The Message is the thing. It is, in sum, a forthright philosophic materialism. Upperclassmen might incline to sniff and say that the author has, with vast effort, contrived a simple materialist system, one, intellectually, at about the stage of the oxcart, though without mastering the principle of the wheel. Like any consistent materialism, this one begins by rejecting God, religion, original sin, etc. etc. (This book’s aggressive atheism and rather unbuttoned “higher morality,” which chiefly outrage some readers, are, in fact, secondary ripples, and result inevitably from its underpinning premises.) Thus, Randian Man, like Marxian Man, is made the center of a godless world.

Therein lies the central perplexity behind the far right's Randian philosophy fetish.

Reviewers are not immune to prejudices.

Care to comment on this review?

According to ABC's Jon Karl, Barack Obama's retelling of his own life in Dreams Of My Father has been exposed as "unreliable." On June 16 in the pages of the Wall Street Journal, the correspondent reviewed David Maraniss' new book, a 641 page tome that "raises questions about the carefully crafted story that Mr. Obama has told about himself." However, Karl and ABC have yet to interview or highlight Mr. Maraniss on the network.

Read more: ABC Reporter's Book Review: Obama's 'Unreliable' Retelling of His Own Life Story; Network Skips | NewsBusters

I don't think either man looks to Rand's principles exclusively as both have a much broader education and experience. Free markets are capable of policing themselves with one major caveat, they have to function honestly. But to imply that Greenspan and Ryan rely solely on Rand for their philosophies is disingenuous at best. And no I was not a college Republican, in fact like most young people I had very little interest in politics back then.

And the free market regulates itself as regards to pollution also, according to Rand.

Its story merely serves Miss Rand to get the customers inside the tent, and as a soapbox for delivering her Message. The Message is the thing. It is, in sum, a forthright philosophic materialism. Upperclassmen might incline to sniff and say that the author has, with vast effort, contrived a simple materialist system, one, intellectually, at about the stage of the oxcart, though without mastering the principle of the wheel. Like any consistent materialism, this one begins by rejecting God, religion, original sin, etc. etc. (This book’s aggressive atheism and rather unbuttoned “higher morality,” which chiefly outrage some readers, are, in fact, secondary ripples, and result inevitably from its underpinning premises.) Thus, Randian Man, like Marxian Man, is made the center of a godless world.

Therein lies the central perplexity behind the far right's Randian philosophy fetish.
yep. the reviewer knew what he was talking about. A friend of Bill Buckley's.
Reviewers are not immune to prejudices.

Care to comment on this review?

According to ABC's Jon Karl, Barack Obama's retelling of his own life in Dreams Of My Father has been exposed as "unreliable." On June 16 in the pages of the Wall Street Journal, the correspondent reviewed David Maraniss' new book, a 641 page tome that "raises questions about the carefully crafted story that Mr. Obama has told about himself." However, Karl and ABC have yet to interview or highlight Mr. Maraniss on the network.

Read more: ABC Reporter's Book Review: Obama's 'Unreliable' Retelling of His Own Life Story; Network Skips | NewsBusters

thats funny. I thought my OP dealt w/ Rand? :eusa_hand: BTW- Buckley printed the review. Do you think he didn't read it? :lol:

Last edited:

It's true the Christian fundies reject Rand because of her atheism. There has always been tension on the right between the libertarian wing and the Christians. Capitalism is fundamentally a-religious, and it works to undermine religion. As a result, Christians have always had a love-hate relationship with it.

Forum List

Back