1913 Law Snags Same-Sex Marriages

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
An obscure 90-year-old statute in Massachusetts could prevent gay couples from elsewhere in the U.S. from tying the knot there in May.

Municipal clerks await a ruling on a law that bars them from issuing marriage licenses "if such marriage would be void" in a couple's' home state, i.e., everywhere but the land of John Kerry and Teddy Kennedy.

It "is going to take some time to sort out these issues, and non-Massachusetts couples should, for the moment, adopt a wait-and-see attitude and not commit to any Massachusetts marriage plans," stated Gay and Lesbian Advocates & Defenders, the group that sued to legalize gay marriage in Massachusetts.

http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/3/9/115834.shtml

here's the thing i don't really get...conservatives are overwhelmingly against gay marriage and they want the president to do something about it. a constitutional amendment. yet conservatives are the ones that want less government in our lives. someone please explain.

Originally posted by deciophobic
here's the thing i don't really get...conservatives are overwhelmingly against gay marriage and they want the president to do something about it. a constitutional amendment. yet conservatives are the ones that want less government in our lives. someone please explain.

There are plenty of reasons in any of the OTHER Gay Threads. :)

Originally posted by deciophobic

This has nothing to do with conservatives or democrats. The politicians like to fight about it since it's election year, but over 60% of the entire nation is opposed.

Trust me, there are plenty opposed from nearly every affiliation.

There are certain things or times when the government must step in and save the populace from the abhorrent behavior of a few. In this case it is judges who have usurped their authority to interpret laws as they are written and public officials who have no regard for law.

this will have ole fatso teddy up all nite!!!! only guy I have ever known that wants the world WORSE when he dies instead of better...

This isnt really that tough. Conservatives are conservative culturally as well as politically. We are also big on the rule of law and the Constitutional process. Which is why we are so outraged with the blatant violations of laws, especially the one in California which was voted on through direct refferendum and the activists judges who are trying to legislate from the bench.

If the same sex groups want to marry. They should be the ones going through the legistlative route, we shouldnt be the ones who have to go the legislative path to keep things the way they are.

Forum List

Back