1858 Remington Buffalo

You can't generate enough pressure in a black powder .44 cal cylinder to be considered a "hot load" unless you use a very tight ball. The unburned powder flies out the barrel. As a matter of fact it is recommended that the cylinder be filled enough for the ball to be even with the end of the cylinder. Brass frame revolvers will stretch with a lot of firing no matter what load you use.

Tell that to my brass frame, it's doesn't believe you. I'm so glad your formula works well in a controlled laboratory setting. Funny how it doesn't work as well where people are involved.
Look you have your bias, great, don't have a problem with it. I have mine, we disagree. Such is life.

"People are involved"? I'm not sure you understand the difference between smokeless and black powder. They make .44 cal black powder cylinders so that you can load them to the point that the ball sits even with the top of the cylinder so that there is no space between the cylinder and the barrel. It's almost impossible to generate dangerous pressures in cap and ball black powder cylinders using conventional black powder and pyrodex. Brass frame revolvers eventually stretch because of the difference between the hard steel barrel and the relatively soft brass frame.
I've, been shooting black powder, not pyrodex, for at least 30 years, so I'm getting nothing confused. I'd say I have a little real world experience concerning this issue. In all that time, myself and a large group of thousands of others have fired brass framed revolvers thousands of times. I have yet to see or even heard of any brass frames stretch in that entire period even though some claimed it would. Are you familiar with the PB tables for different calibers and why they were put together? They talk about "hot loads" in the tables and the potential damage it can do.

Last edited:
Where did you come across "yahoos using hot loads" in cap&ball shooting in the last 30 years?

Have you ever been involved in Civ War reenacting? Went to a lot of shoots, half the people there were idiots (yahoos) who I wouldn't trust with a wet noodle. Luckily over the decades many were eventually weeded out, unfortunately many formed their own units and have their own shoots. I wouldn't be surprised if those groups collectively qualify for the Darwin Awards.

Where did you come across "yahoos using hot loads" in cap&ball shooting in the last 30 years?

Have you ever been involved in Civ War reenacting? Went to a lot of shoots, half the people there were idiots (yahoos) who I wouldn't trust with a wet noodle. Luckily over the decades many were eventually weeded out, unfortunately many formed their own units and have their own shoots. I wouldn't be surprised if those groups collectively qualify for the Darwin Awards.

remember the re-enctor that was accidentally shot at Gettysburg?

Never met him. :eusa_whistle:
By the way, do you know what really happened ( I do) or were you simply trying to make some "anti-gun" point?

By the way, do you know what really happened ( I do) or were you simply trying to make some "anti-gun" point?

wasn't it a French guy that had a gun loaned to him and there was a live l;oad in the cylinder?

wasn't it a French guy that had a gun loaned to him and there was a live l;oad in the cylinder?
Nope. Modern firearms bullets are copper coated to prevent barrel fouling from the lead. Old black powder firearms, specifically revolvers, fire round lead shot with no copper coating. What happens is lead from the shot will occasionally fill the rifling in the barrel and if not cleaned properly with a brass brush can eventually work it's way loose and become a small projectile, this is what happened in this case. If it had been a full .44 caliber load the reenactor would be dead so it was a simple case of careless cleaning by the owner who lent the revolver to the French guy.
Thankfully it's a rare occurrence, so rare that it's the only one I've ever heard of.

Forum List

Back