14 slaves finally freed

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
Better late than never I guess.
New Hampshire has posthumously emancipated 14 slaves who fought in the Revolutionary War and asked state lawmakers for their freedom more than 230 years ago.

A group of 20 slaves submitted a petition to the New Hampshire General Assembly on Nov. 12, 1779, while the war was still being fought. They argued that the freedom being sought by colonists should be extended to them, as well, and maintained that "public tyranny and slavery are alike detestable to minds conscious of the equal dignity of human nature."

234 years later, NH slaves are granted freedom - Houston Chronicle

Wow, wonder why it took so long.
I dunno, but if you've ever been to NH you'll discover that their accents are so out there that they practically can't understand each other.

Plainly they didn't understand Lincoln's Illinois accent when he issued the Emancipation Proclamation, nor Congress's when they proposed the 13th amendment. Both of which preceded this NH "law" by quite a few years, I believe.

When will New Hampshire rule that the world is round?

Wow, wonder why it took so long.
I dunno, but if you've ever been to NH you'll discover that their accents are so out there that they practically can't understand each other.

Plainly they didn't understand Lincoln's Illinois accent when he issued the Emancipation Proclamation, nor Congress's when they proposed the 13th amendment. Both of which preceded this NH "law" by quite a few years, I believe.

When will New Hampshire rule that the world is round?

The Emancipation Proclamation did not free slaves outside the Confederacy.

While values were certainly different in the 18th and 19th century, our values today reflect that slavery is an unacceptable practice - however this belief is not true eveywhere.

"While slavery is illegal across the globe, the SumAll Foundation noted, there are 27 million slaves worldwide, more than in 1860, when there were 25 million."

Global Slavery, by the Numbers - NYTimes.com

"There are, shockingly, more people in slavery today than at any time in human history - but campaigners think the world is close to a tipping point and that slavery may be eradicated in the next 30 years."

BBC News - A tipping point in the fight against slavery?

Hopefully the practice will be eliminated once and for all.

Forum List

Back