11 Year Old Gives CNN Something They Never Expected

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
An 11-year-old college graduate? Wow—that’s impressive! William Maillis wants to be an astrophysicist, and he hopes to have his doctorate by the time he’s 18. But what caught my attention even more than William’s impressive intelligence and his hard work was that he didn’t hesitate to talk about God in his CNN interview. He told the media, “Everybody has gifts from God. I was gifted with knowledge and science and history." He also went on to tell them WHY he wanted to be an astrophysicist. William said, “I want to prove to the world that God does exist through science."

11-year-old William Maillis graduates St. Petersburg College - CNN

I do love to see smart kids, but....

I'd think science is about being open-minded, curious and honest. If you're at Point A, and you've already decided what Point B is, it's possible you'll ignore/avoid/distort all evidence that is contrary to getting to point B.

We have enough of that in our politics. Good luck to this kid, I hope he learns this along the way, too.

I'd think science is about being open-minded, curious and honest. If you're at Point A, and you've already decided what Point B is, it's possible you'll ignore/avoid/distort all evidence that is contrary to getting to point B.

We have enough of that in our politics. Good luck to this kid, I hope he learns this along the way, too.
The problem is a majority walk in with a point B that God doesn't exist.

Years ago I wrote in an astronomy publication on the topic because of a lot of anti-God stuff being put out. I said astronomers should present their findings and let the reader decide for themselves about God from the findings.

Friend at Keck observatory showed it around to a couple of dozen people there, only about a third agreed with me.

An 11-year-old college graduate? Wow—that’s impressive! William Maillis wants to be an astrophysicist, and he hopes to have his doctorate by the time he’s 18. But what caught my attention even more than William’s impressive intelligence and his hard work was that he didn’t hesitate to talk about God in his CNN interview. He told the media, “Everybody has gifts from God. I was gifted with knowledge and science and history." He also went on to tell them WHY he wanted to be an astrophysicist. William said, “I want to prove to the world that God does exist through science."

That's a good thing for this young fellow to pursue and an excellent grounding for such a live wire. The wheel is coming around; coming around no matter how many backs press against it in attempts to slow its turning. A nephew of mine diagnosed Aspergers is at age 10 obsessed with architecture and steam engines. He somehow uses my Blender 3D program to whip up all kinds of intricately detailed buildings that would take me weeks to figure out. He just has this keen eye for fitting together and manipulating geometry. It's amazing.

The problem is a majority walk in with a point B that God doesn't exist.

Years ago I wrote in an astronomy publication on the topic because of a lot of anti-God stuff being put out. I said astronomers should present their findings and let the reader decide for themselves about God from the findings.

Friend at Keck observatory showed it around to a couple of dozen people there, only about a third agreed with me.
Yeah, I can see that. Something this BIG, I'd guess, would require a great deal of (honest) peer review along the way, so that any real findings can't be dismissed out of hand.

Oh you mean like globull warming

Oh you mean like globull warming
Could be.

That's a good thing for this young fellow to pursue and an excellent grounding for such a live wire. The wheel is coming around; coming around no matter how many backs press against it in attempts to slow its turning. A nephew of mine diagnosed Aspergers is at age 10 obsessed with architecture and steam engines. He somehow uses my Blender 3D program to whip up all kinds of intricately detailed buildings that would take me weeks to figure out. He just has this keen eye for fitting together and manipulating geometry. It's amazing.

I was pretty good with legos

I am more interested in how he got to where he is today, not what his theories on God are. Was he homeschooled? Because surely the slowest in the group based educational system we chain kids to in public school is not a place for mobility of the smartest and most talented. They want them to be cemented in the slow groups to help the others(as the theory goes).
When I was in the army doing advanced training on missile systems we were not in lock step which meant you could accelerate your learning by completing the course study at your own pace.
Unfortunately, they changed it back to the snail-paced learning for the gifted later that same year.

Belief in God is faith based. It takes an open mind to have that much faith. But more importantly to your point, he wants to use science to prove it. He's not asking you to have faith like he does, he wants to prove it to you in way you'll understand. Good for him. Sounds like he completely understands the difference between "faith" and "science".

With your logic, scientists shouldn't look for life outside of earth because there's no proof it exists.

The existence of God is obvious. This is why virtually every society and culture in the history of the world has concluded that "this" must have been created by a cogent, infinitely-powerful being. Essentially all of the great thinkers of the past, whether they be scientists, artists, philosophers, what have you, they all believe in "god," in one form or another.

It is only very recently that "intellectuals" have come to conclude that "this" all occurred by chance - a proposition that becomes more and more Unbelievable every day.

Belief in God is faith based. It takes an open mind to have that much faith. But more importantly to your point, he wants to use science to prove it. He's not asking you to have faith like he does, he wants to prove it to you in way you'll understand. Good for him. Sounds like he completely understands the difference between "faith" and "science".

With your logic, scientists shouldn't look for life outside of earth because there's no proof it exists.
Sure, I can see that. My point is that, especially with something this important, objectivity is absolutely essential, or the whole thing is essentially a wasted exercise. So it just needs to be done carefully and with the clearest mind possible.

This The Big Freakin' Question. So trying to answer it requires a lot.

I am more interested in how he got to where he is today, not what his theories on God are. Was he homeschooled? Because surely the slowest in the group based educational system we chain kids to in public school is not a place for mobility of the smartest and most talented. They want them to be cemented in the slow groups to help the others(as the theory goes).
When I was in the army doing advanced training on missile systems we were not in lock step which meant you could accelerate your learning by completing the course study at your own pace.
Unfortunately, they changed it back to the snail-paced learning for the gifted later that same year.

Think man!

He is a Christian and not worshipping the devil with Trump derangement syndrome, so he was either homes schooled or went to a private school.

Lol good luck with that, kid.

Forum List

Back