100 years since the Amritsar Massacre

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
India marks 100 years since Amritsar massacre

You will remember the scene in the film Gandhi. A day of shame for Britain.

Ceremonies have taken place to mark 100 years since the massacre in the Indian city of Amritsar.

Hundreds of Indian civilians were shot by British troops while attending a public meeting, in defiance of a ban by colonial authorities.

This week British Prime Minister Theresa May described the incident as a "tragedy" and "a shameful scar on British Indian history", but stopped short of the formal apology that some have called for.

The death toll is disputed. An inquiry set up by the colonial authorities put the figure at 379, but Indian sources put it nearer to 1,000.

70018734a1cd5f298c5b7eedbfd6f5e5fd3443759662c30812f08029364a11eb.jpg

When I was in India last month, I hired a tour guide to take me around Mumbai. He was a young Muslim guy, and I asked him how are the British currently viewed in India? He said that it depended on the generation. The grandparents still hate the British, because they still remember the atrocities of the British Raj. The parents don't like the British because their grandparents have told them about British rule. But the young people have a balanced view of the British, acknowledging their history but being able to view the many positive aspects of British culture.

When I was in India last month, I hired a tour guide to take me around Mumbai. He was a young Muslim guy, and I asked him how are the British currently viewed in India? He said that it depended on the generation. The grandparents still hate the British, because they still remember the atrocities of the British Raj. The parents don't like the British because their grandparents have told them about British rule. But the young people have a balanced view of the British, acknowledging their history but being able to view the many positive aspects of British culture.
Young India is getting a lot of work from UK companies. They have a vested interest in looking to the future.

British rule gave to the both parts of India civilization and 19c. they lived it 14c. before Brits took over

Forum List

Back