100 Greatest films of all time - discuss

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras

They run this poll every 10 years. Sight and Sound is a highbrow review magazine so I think the results reflect that. I used to get it in the early 80s when I was a bit pretentious.

They run a critics poll alongside it and there are a few crossovers. Personally I am siding more with the critics against the directors.

I confess that I havent even seen a lot of the films listed. There are also a lot of faves that dont make the list. Shane is one, Battle of Britain is another. And Jungle Book.

Still its all moot. Its only a list of opinions.

I like musicals so you probably won't like mine opinion of the greatest movies.
Also, I have too many to pick just 1 for the greatest.

For me , near perfect en bloc , though my order would be different -----because , of course , we all are different .

My personal favourite is L'avventura at number 38 but I am happy to see it recognised as being somewhere in the list of the best .

The good news for me is that very little of modern Hollywood figures . And rightly so.

The list is rightly less concerned with just entertainment but more about films with wider themes and more artistic and thoughtful treatments .

On what basis could any Stallone film feature for example ?
None without cheapening and trivialising . imho Though some of the films he starred in are hugely entertaining .
Good meals but hardly pieces of near timeless art .

How about 1989's "No Holds Barred"? When Mean Gene Okerlund reviewed the film, he declared that it was "without a doubt the greatest motion picture ever made".

You are aware that the movie "Cobra" is fiction and that Stallone is not, and has never been, a cop?

Sure, I understand that. I was talking about Stallone's character which was very realistically done, and could be a role model for modern, urban police officers.

It is always hard to say what is "the best" but one movie I thought was excellent was the 1927 "Sunrise A Song of Two Humans".

One of the greatest films that should be on the list is Death Wish 3.

Not only is it a tremendous flick, its currently very relevant as New York City has basically devolved back to where it was when this documentary was filmed originally.

Forum List

Back