10 Reasons to legalise all drugs

Sure thing. That you believe that is an indication of your failure to understand reality.

The reality is that the policy has failed. It's failed here too. There are other methods of reducing harm but using the criminal law shouldn't be the only response. The criminal law has a place for sure, but it needs to be finely targeted.

The reality is that the policy has failed. It's failed here too. There are other methods of reducing harm but using the criminal law shouldn't be the only response. The criminal law has a place for sure, but it needs to be finely targeted.

It all comes down to where you want to draw the line. It is so relative and gray. At what age should people be allowed to drink alcohol – 12, 14, 16, 18, 18.5, 21? At what age should people be allowed to smoke, consent to sex, and gambol? Why is the speed limit 55 and not56, 25 or 95?

It all comes down to where you want to draw the line. It is so relative and gray. At what age should people be allowed to drink alcohol – 12, 14, 16, 18, 18.5, 21? At what age should people be allowed to smoke, consent to sex, and gambol? Why is the speed limit 55 and not56, 25 or 95?

Yes, good question and good examples. I don't have the answers. But if we (society in general, yours and mine) are about harm reduction then we need to address those questions. As a matter of observation the prohibition of certain substances is a failed policy. What should replace it is moot. The problem is that our - yours and mine - legislators have painted themselves into a corner and continually told the public that the criminal law is the only answer to the issue of harmful subtances. It isn't and they know it. But they have been lying to the public for so long that they feel unable to tell the truth unless they feel the wrath of the deceived.

What a moronic come back. You and I and any sane person with any Intelligence know perfectly well you can NOT legally do "anything" you want with your body. If you could we would be living in anarchy.

Read to, son. What are you not allowed to do to your own body? Drugs are about nobody else except the person using them.

Sure thing. That you believe that is an indication of your failure to understand reality.

And what "reality" do you believe she is failing to understand ?

Yes, good question and good examples. I don't have the answers. But if we (society in general, yours and mine) are about harm reduction then we need to address those questions. As a matter of observation the prohibition of certain substances is a failed policy. What should replace it is moot. The problem is that our - yours and mine - legislators have painted themselves into a corner and continually told the public that the criminal law is the only answer to the issue of harmful subtances. It isn't and they know it. But they have been lying to the public for so long that they feel unable to tell the truth unless they feel the wrath of the deceived.

Lets look at some other aspects as well. Does the US govt even WANT to stop the illegal black market of drugs anway? Could they possibly have other interests that involves NOT wanting drug use to be lower and benefitting from the illegal trade itself? There is a plus for even our corrupt govt for keeping it in the black market, they have used this black market to fund operations (as we have seen in Iran/Contra) and have backed groups that use drug money to fund their goals.

Look at afghanistan. The heroin supplies were pretty non-existant til the US invaded and took over. Now they are UP and the world supply is now flush with heroin once again.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,434523,00.html

Afghan leader Hamid Karzai is facing increasing criticism in Kabul. Indeed, the talk these days is not of an additional term for the 48-year-old president, but rather who will succeed him. His time in office has been a sobering one: Afghans are deeply disappointed by the slow pace of reconstruction, an abysmal security situation, rampant corruption and a flourishing drug trade. Many chastise Karzai for being too docile in his dealings with corrupt governors and police chiefs and for maintaining ties for the country's former warlords. But Karzai's latest troubles are closer to home in nature: They center around allegations that one of his brothers is involved in drug trafficking. His younger brother Ahmed Wali Karzai is influential among the Popalzai, a Pashtun clan, in Karzai's home province of Kandahar and is the chairman of the provincial council. It is believed the Ahmed Wali is also the head of a group involved in opium and heroin trafficking that smuggles drugs to the West through Iran and Turkey. Sources in security circles claim that he provides protection for drug transports in southern Afghanistan.

Its not new that his brother is accused, its been well known for YEARS that his brother was involved in the drug trade. Its one of the reasons the taliban and his family HATE each other, the taliban bastards wouldnt let the drug running bastards have their drugs. Two bastard groups is all they are, neither should have ever recieved a bit of support.

and

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-03-09-afghan-corruption_N.htm

KABUL, Afghanistan — When the deal went down in Las Vegas, the seller was introduced only as "Mr. E." In a room at Caesars Palace hotel, Mr. E exchanged a pound-and-a-half bag of heroin for $65,000 cash — unaware that the buyer was an undercover detective. The sting landed him in Nevada state prison for nearly four years.
Twenty years later and Mr. E, whose real name is Izzatullah Wasifi, has a new job. He is the government of Afghanistan's anti-corruption chief.

Wasifi leads a staff of 84 people charged with rooting out the endemic graft that is fueled in part by the country's position as the world's largest producer of opium poppy, the raw ingredient of heroin.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/03/09/asia/AS-GEN-Afghan-Convicted-Corruption-Chief.php

An Associated Press review of criminal records in Nevada and California revealed that the 48-year-old Wasifi was arrested at Caesars Palace on July 15, 1987, for selling 650 grams (23 ounces) of heroin. Prosecutors said the drugs were worth US$2 million on the street.

US tax money is being given and allocated by this guy and he is sopposed to help GET RID OF CORRUPTION!

and from same article

Afghanistan produces more than 90 percent of the world's opium. The drop in Farah bucked an alarming nationwide trend that saw poppy cultivation rise 59 percent between 2005 and 2006 to an all-time high — producing enough for about 670 tons of heroin. U.N. officials warn that this year could see a record crop.

The US has been there a few years and now the drug trade is skyrocketing and seeing record level production.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/heroin_harvest_in_afghanistan_soars.htm

HEROIN production in Afghanistan has soared by up to 1400 per cent since the war on terror and the fall of the Taliban, a drugs conference will hear today.

I submit the US govt hasnt a CLUE on how to handle the drug problems and at worst, HELPS the drug trade.

Lets look at some other aspects as well. Does the US govt even WANT to stop the illegal black market of drugs anway? Could they possibly have other interests that involves NOT wanting drug use to be lower and benefitting from the illegal trade itself? There is a plus for even our corrupt govt for keeping it in the black market, they have used this black market to fund operations (as we have seen in Iran/Contra) and have backed groups that use drug money to fund their goals.

Look at afghanistan. The heroin supplies were pretty non-existant til the US invaded and took over. Now they are UP and the world supply is now flush with heroin once again.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,434523,00.html

Its not new that his brother is accused, its been well known for YEARS that his brother was involved in the drug trade. Its one of the reasons the taliban and his family HATE each other, the taliban bastards wouldnt let the drug running bastards have their drugs. Two bastard groups is all they are, neither should have ever recieved a bit of support.

and

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-03-09-afghan-corruption_N.htm

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/03/09/asia/AS-GEN-Afghan-Convicted-Corruption-Chief.php

US tax money is being given and allocated by this guy and he is sopposed to help GET RID OF CORRUPTION!

and from same article

The US has been there a few years and now the drug trade is skyrocketing and seeing record level production.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/heroin_harvest_in_afghanistan_soars.htm

I submit the US govt hasnt a CLUE on how to handle the drug problems and at worst, HELPS the drug trade.

Where is Larkinn? Go ahead and tell me this claim is reasonable.

Go ahead and tell me what isnt FACTUAL. Did we not catch our own govt participating in the drug trade under Iran/Contra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Contra_Affair

In 1998, CIA Inspector General Frederick Hitz published a two-volume report[38] that substantiated many of Webb's claims, and described how 50 contras and contra-related entities involved in the drug trade had been protected from law enforcement activity by the Reagan-Bush administration, and documented a cover-up of evidence relating to these activities. The report also showed that Oliver North and the NSC were aware of these activities. A report later that same year by the Justice Department Inspector General Michael Bromwich also came to similar conclusions.

Is it not a fact that since the US has taken over afghanistan Herion production has increased to record levels AND those in the US backed govt are tied to the drug trafficing trade including ONE who has a previous conviction for it.

Facts are facts.

For those willing to take some time and learn the history behind the marijuana laws:

<embed style="width:400px; height:326px;" id="VideoPlayback" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-7417904870843277177&hl=en" flashvars=""> </embed>

Narrated by: Woody Harrelson

That video is great! It was also pretty entertaining and it had me laughing.

Go ahead and tell me what isnt FACTUAL. Did we not catch our own govt participating in the drug trade under Iran/Contra?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iran-Contra_Affair

Is it not a fact that since the US has taken over afghanistan Herion production has increased to record levels AND those in the US backed govt are tied to the drug trafficing trade including ONE who has a previous conviction for it.

Facts are facts.

So let me see if I have this right. Supposedly two Government agencies discovered illegal drug trafficing by US Government officials and No charges were ever filed? NO legal action taken against the supposed ring leaders? Sounds more like a " golly we all know it where I live story" followed by " but no court will take it"

I can find Government reports about illegal activity by Bill and Hillary Clinton, remind me what you think of them.

So let me see if I have this right. Supposedly two Government agencies discovered illegal drug trafficing by US Government officials and No charges were ever filed? NO legal action taken against the supposed ring leaders? Sounds more like a " golly we all know it where I live story" followed by " but no court will take it"

I can find Government reports about illegal activity by Bill and Hillary Clinton, remind me what you think of them.

I have put thousands of Americans away for tens of thousands of years for less evidence for conspiracy with less evidence than is available against Ollie North and CIA people. . . . I personally was involved in a deep-cover case that went to the top of the drug world in three countries. The CIA killed it."
— Former DEA Agent Michael Levine
CNBC-TV, October 8, 1996

or this DEA agent

"I really take great exception to the fact that 1,000 kilos came in, funded by U.S. taxpayer money." — DEA official Anabelle Grimm, during a 1993 interview on a CBS-TV "60 Minutes" segment entitled "The CIA's Cocaine." The 1991 CIA drug-smuggling event Ms. Grimm described was later found to be much larger. A Florida grand jury and the Wall Street Journal reported it to involve as much as 22 tons.

Who really paid for the crimes committed in the Iran/Contra scandal...how many pardons were doled out? Thats how we do convictions, we give it a shallow appearance and then let the public move onto the next while we pardon those on the lower rungs who took the fall and we protect the highest up.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/reagan/peopleevents/pande08.html

Speculation about the involvement of Reagan, Vice President George Bush and the administration at large ran rampant. Independent Counsel Lawrence Walsh investigated the affair for the next eight years. Fourteen people were charged with either operational or "cover-up" crimes. In the end, North's conviction was overturned on a technicality, and President Bush issued six pardons, including one to McFarlane, who had already been convicted, and one to Weinberger before he stood trial.

Do you really expect a corrupt govt to rid itself of what it lives on? Thats simply far too naive.

Oh I dont like Bill Clinton or Hilary. They are the same corrupt puppets most of the other elected representatives are.

Exactly what claim are you referring too? The main claim made by Ruby was that "I submit the US govt hasnt a CLUE on how to handle the drug problems and at worst, HELPS the drug trade.", which I fully agree with.

Exactly what claim are you referring too? The main claim made by Ruby was that "I submit the US govt hasnt a CLUE on how to handle the drug problems and at worst, HELPS the drug trade.", which I fully agree with.

Will you admit that they are wrong about marijuana?

BTW did you watch the video I put up? Nixon ignored his own research to keep it illegal.

There is no reason why marijuana is illegal.

Will you admit that they are wrong about marijuana?

BTW did you watch the video I put up? Nixon ignored his own research to keep it illegal.

There is no reason why marijuana is illegal.

They are wrong about most drugs. Marijuana, E, Pslocibyn, etc, etc. All of these CAN be harmful, and need to be regulated strongly, but none should be completely illegal except perhaps the crazy addictive ones such as heroin.

Any particular reason you are asking me to admit things, considering I've been arguing against RGS's asinine position that all drugs are insanely bad ?

I cant figure out whats so earth shattering about that statement either, its pretty self-evident.

I cant figure out whats so earth shattering about that statement either, its pretty self-evident.

I think its that RGS has trouble figuring out the difference between making a claim (I think X is true) and stating the possibility of truth (I think X COULD be true). You did say that the US might want to fuel a war on drugs, which I think is untrue, but I don't consider that a claim. Also considering how incompetent the US has been in waging the war on drugs, I think that it could use some looking into, but I think it would be found to be untrue.

AH- No sweat.

I think its that RGS has trouble figuring out the difference between making a claim (I think X is true) and stating the possibility of truth (I think X COULD be true). You did say that the US might want to fuel a war on drugs, which I think is untrue, but I don't consider that a claim. Also considering how incompetent the US has been in waging the war on drugs, I think that it could use some looking into, but I think it would be found to be untrue.

AH- No sweat.

I dont think its exactly an all or nothing on that particular point. It has been one dept that has been caught actually doing it and one dept who would find it beneficial in certain circumstances, that is of course the CIA. We dont have a cohesive govt that are all working towards the same goal or aware of each others actions.

My criteria to have strong suspicions (which is what I have here about CIA involvement in drug trafficing and/or supporting drug trafficers) is to have compelling evidence. Many theories can have plausability but that isnt compelling evidence. The compelling evidence that makes me strongly suspect that we have one dept trying to stop the flow of drugs and another dept helping the flow of drugs is ..

1. They have been caught. They have given support and protection to very well known drug trafficers (contras, noriega etc).

2. Overwhelming amount of CIA agents who have admitted so and DEA agents who have reported CIA interferrence in their investigation (and even had to back completely off) and the DEA also claiming that many of their larger international drug investigations lead them directly to the CIA who would then shut the investigation down. Too many eye-witnesses.

3. In those cases the REASONS for the CIA being involved makes sense. I will use an example of where they were caught. The contras were given support, training, weapons etc. from the US. They were horrible and brutal guys who murdered, raped and trafficed in drugs (you probably know this already). This was too well known but the US didnt like the economic plans that the sandanistas had and the sandanistas had the popular backing so we, the US, support the Contras. The CIA was paying people who were under investigation for drug trafficing and supporting a group that was trafficing drugs and the CIA did this because they didnt want the sandanistas to take power, the opposition were the contras so thats who we supported and backed. If the contras drug trafficing was stopped, funds would dry up and so would the opposition to the sandanistas.

The DEA were given a list of airfields they were not allowed to keep under surveillence for the drug trafficers and later as the scandal breaks we find out that those airfields were being used for the illegal weapons to Iran and drugs coming into the US courtesy of the Contras.

http://ciadrugs.homestead.com/files/outline.html#Micheal Levine

In 1985 and 1986, Ayers surveilled airplanes (parked at Miami International Airport) belonging to two CIA-related airlines ("formerly owned" by the CIA) under contract with the Dept. of Defense to transport materiel for the Contras.

He repeatedly found traces of cocaine and marijuana inside the planes.

Ayers' findings became court evidence in a lawsuit by the airlines against a Miami TV station, and was found to be truthful and accepted as evidence.

His affidavit is available right in the link.

There are numerous other DEA agents who provide information, documents, provided court testimony etc. Its a pretty good link if you feel like reading it.

I find it all to be compelling evidence that the US tax payer is paying for one dept to try and stop or slow the flood of drugs into the country and another one who helps groups get drugs INTO the country for geo-political reasons.

They are wrong about most drugs. Marijuana, E, Pslocibyn, etc, etc. All of these CAN be harmful, and need to be regulated strongly, but none should be completely illegal except perhaps the crazy addictive ones such as heroin.

Any particular reason you are asking me to admit things, considering I've been arguing against RGS's asinine position that all drugs are insanely bad ?

Heroin's okay, it's crap like Ice that's really scary. The producers of Ice need twenty-five years prison minimum for a first offence.

Forum List

Back