10 Commandments for Atheists

The Plague on the Firstborn​

11 Now the Lord had said to Moses, “I will bring one more plague on Pharaoh and on Egypt. After that, he will let you go from here, and when he does, he will drive you out completely. 2 Tell the people that men and women alike are to ask their neighbors for articles of silver and gold.” 3 (The Lord made the Egyptians favorably disposed toward the people, and Moses himself was highly regarded in Egypt by Pharaoh’s officials and by the people.)

4 So Moses said, “This is what the Lord says: ‘About midnight I will go throughout Egypt. 5 Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well. 6 There will be loud wailing throughout Egypt—worse than there has ever been or ever will be again. 7 But among the Israelites not a dog will bark at any person or animal.’ Then you will know that the Lord makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel. 8 All these officials of yours will come to me, bowing down before me and saying, ‘Go, you and all the people who follow you!’ After that I will leave.” Then Moses, hot with anger, left Pharaoh.

9 The Lord had said to Moses, “Pharaoh will refuse to listen to you—so that my wonders may be multiplied in Egypt.” 10 Moses and Aaron performed all these wonders before Pharaoh, but the Lord hardened Pharaoh’s heart, and he would not let the Israelites go out of his country.

I didn’t write the Bible
If I did, I wouldn’t make God out to be such a nasty prick

But the God of the Bible had no problem killing innocent babies, puppies and kittens
And those who did write the Bible did not write it in English through the lens of today's Western culture. This language and this culture blinds us to how they saw God, how they saw themselves; how they saw the flood and the lesson it provided. It provides a reflection on whether or not mankind learned from this lesson.

And those who did write the Bible did not write it in English through the lens of today's Western culture. This language and this culture blinds us to how they saw God, how they saw themselves; how they saw the flood and the lesson it provided. It provides a reflection on whether or not mankind learned from this lesson.
Regardless of the language

God sent the flood and killed the first born of Egypt

Jews still celebrate that their children were not killed

Jews still celebrate that their children were not killed
Why shouldn't they celebrate considering all the Hebrew children who were killed by the Egyptians before that Passover? It began a new era where Hebrew children might live in freedom rather than meet death at the hands of the Egyptians.

Why shouldn't they celebrate considering all the Hebrew children who were killed by the Egyptians before that Passover? It began a new era where Hebrew children might live in freedom rather than meet death at the hands of the Egyptians.

But at what price?

I can understand a God who punishes those who own slaves.
But to kill innocent children who did nothing wrong?

Who can support that?

Why, after all that, did God not include….”Thou shall not own slaves” as one of the Ten Commandments?

What did the Egyptian children do to deserve to die?
“This is what the Lord says: ‘About midnight I will go throughout Egypt. 5 Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well. 6 There will be loud wailing throughout Egypt—worse than there has ever been or ever will be again.

About midnight I will go throughout Egypt. Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill

Why would God kill the firstborn sons of slaves to force the freeing of slaves?

Not a just God

At a very small percentage out of the number of children the Egyptians killed...and would keep killing.

Well lets see then…

If Egyptians are killing children, you punish those doing the. Killing
You don’t kill innocent babies

See how it works?

Well lets see then…

See how it works?
“Woe to the one who quarrels with His Maker—an earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the potter, 'What are you doing? ' Or the thing you are making say, 'He has no hands'? The clay may not call into account the potter and say, “What are you doing?

Why, after all that, did God not include….”Thou shall not own slaves” as one of the Ten Commandments?
Slavery is not necessarily bad.

You welcome your slavery to the federal government. There were reasons people PUT THEMSELVES into slavery. Indentured servitude, comes to mind.

You believe a better way is to force the Taxpayer into servitude by supporting the lazy

Slavery is not necessarily bad.

You welcome your slavery to the federal government. There were reasons people PUT THEMSELVES into slavery. Indentured servitude, comes to mind.

You believe a better way is to force the Taxpayer into servitude by supporting the lazy
:slap:

“Woe to the one who quarrels with His Maker—an earthenware vessel among the vessels of earth! Will the clay say to the potter, 'What are you doing? ' Or the thing you are making say, 'He has no hands'? The clay may not call into account the potter and say, “What are you doing?
Sorry
God does not get a free pass

You slaughter innocent children, puppies and kittens and you don’t get to play the “But I am God” card

1695163310375.jpeg

Well lets see then…

See how it works?
The death of one of my children would be the worst punishment ever for me. Were the Egyptians punishing the Hebrews for having children?

The death of one of my children would be the worst punishment ever for me. Were the Egyptians punishing the Hebrews for having children?

But it is worse for the child

Do you advocate killing children for the sins of their parents?
God does

Sorry
God does not get a free pass

God, as the author of life itself, has authority that you and I do not have. God is the ONLY one in all of existence who has the right to take ANY life as He sees fit.

For you to try to put God on our level, as if God is just another finite little mortal like us just shows your lack of understanding.

As for the flood, that meme also shows complete ignorance. The world at that time was extremely evil and violent, and btw I posted a thread about the Book of Enoch, which goes into detail about WHY the world was that way at that time. If you actually cared about truth, you would seek it sincerely and wholeheartedly, instead of quickly pointing the finger at God based on your total lack of knowledge and wisdom.

Forum List

Back