0.01% of all the 247 billion trees absorb the 1.7 Billion tons of CO2 coal utilities emit..

Now this may seem rather simple but please follow these numbers and tell me where I'm wrong...
Carbon sequestration, air quality, and climate change

• A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year, and can sequester one ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old.
  • One large tree can provide a supply of oxygen for two people.
  • Tree Facts American Forests

In 2011, utility coal plants in the United States emitted a total of 1.7 billion tons of CO2.
A typical coal plant generates 3.5 million tons of CO2 per year.
coal power air pollution Union of Concerned Scientists

According to the last forest inventory, there are almost 247 billion trees over 1 inch in diameter in the U.S. Tree Facts Facts About Trees

So according to my figures... 40,800,000 trees can absorb ALL the 1.7 billion tons of CO2 emitted each year by all the coal fired utility plants.

That means 0.01% of all the TREES in USA are absorbing the 1.7 billion tons of CO2 emitted each year.

What is wrong with these figures then?
A 1 inch diameter tree will not sequester 48 lbs of CO2 per year!!!!! So like always your numbers are whacked!

Here are some real numbers:

Carbon Sequestration - Office of Sustainability

Tree density varies, and we used an average of 700 trees per acre (this number was taken from DOE’s "Sector-Specific Issues and Reporting Methodologies Supporting the General Guidelines for the Voluntary Reporting of Greenhouse Gases under Sections 1605(b) of the Energy Policy Act of 1992")
25 year old forest: 1,760 lbs of CO2 per acre per year / 700 trees =
average of 2.52 lbs of CO2 per tree per year (rounded to 3 lbs)

120 year old forest: 3,909 lbs of CO2 per year per acre =
average of 5.58 lbs of CO2 per tree per year

Northeast, white and red pine forests

25 year old forest: 67,000 lbs of carbon / 25 = 2,680 lbs of C per acre per year x 44/12 = 9,826 lbs of CO2 per acre per year / 700 =
average of 14 lbs of CO2 per year per tree (rounded to 15 lbs)

120 year old forest: 246,000 lbs of carbon / 120 = 2,050 lbs of C per acre per year x 44/12 = 7,516 lbs of CO2 per acre per year / 700 =
average of 11.7 lbs of CO2 per year per tree .

Now this may seem rather simple but please follow these numbers and tell me where I'm wrong...

• A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year, and can sequester one ton of carbon dioxide by the time it reaches 40 years old.

In 2011, utility coal plants in the United States emitted a total of 1.7 billion tons of CO2.

According to the last forest inventory, there are almost 247 billion trees over 1 inch in diameter in the U.S. Tree Facts Facts About Trees

So according to my figures... 40,800,000 trees can absorb ALL the 1.7 billion tons of CO2 emitted each year by all the coal fired utility plants.

That means 0.01% of all the TREES in USA are absorbing the 1.7 billion tons of CO2 emitted each year.

A 1 inch diameter tree will not sequester 48 lbs of CO2 per year!!!!! So like always your numbers are whacked!

Tree Facts American Forests
Take it up the with the American Forests services...

Tree density varies, and we used an average of 700 trees per acre (this number was taken from DOE’s "Sector-Specific Issues and Reporting Methodologies Supporting the General Guidelines for the Voluntary Reporting of Greenhouse Gases under Sections 1605(b) of the Energy Policy Act of 1992")

25 year old forest: 67,000 lbs of carbon / 25 = 2,680 lbs of C per acre per year x 44/12 = 9,826 lbs of CO2 per acre per year / 700 =

120 year old forest: 246,000 lbs of carbon / 120 = 2,050 lbs of C per acre per year x 44/12 = 7,516 lbs of CO2 per acre per year / 700 =

Roughly speaking, the number of trees decaying into sawdust is the same as the number growing. If anything, the number of trees worldwide is shrinking, but for the purposes of this argument, let's pretend the number is stable. Thus the amount of sequestered CO2 being released by breakdown is equal to theadditional amount being taken into sequestration. They have no effect.

Besides, are you challenging the accuracy of the Keeling curve?

Last edited:

[Tree Facts American Forests
Take it up the with the American Forests services…]

Please stop altering my posts with your comments, when you do that you admit your dishonesty.

From your link:
"A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year"

"As much as" means a maximum, not an average for a 1 inch diameter tree which is what you stupidly used to get your even more stupid total.

Humans, Trees, Crops, Livestock, Ethanol & Termites keep recycling the same carbon that is already in the atmosphere.

Digging up & burning Coal & Oil is adding carbon to the atmosphere.

I'm not even going to respond to the stats as far as the numbers are concerned. I'll merely respond to the claim of trees as a carbon sequestration destination.

To paraphrase your OP, please follow along. Carbon-based fuel (in the form of coal and oil) has been sequestered and buried underground for millions of years. At best, a tree might be expected to hold on to the carbon for a couple of hundred years before it dies (and decays) or burns in a natural fire, or is cut down (and is burned or decays) thereby releasing the CO2 back into the air.

Consequently, trees are not much of a carbon sink, all things being equal. That's especially true considering that the carbon is being taken out of a proven secure sink (until humans get to it) and placed in a temporary location. It's like taking your money out of an underground vault and placing it in a coffee can buried in your back yard. It damn sure isn't safer there.

What is your expertise that you can spout without ANY substantiation?
I at least am giving you the sources of where I came up with the numbers... where's your sources?

I've read several books on global warming for one thing. But what I just said is obvious once people stop to think about it because it's a mathematical truth that many people haven't really thought through when they think of planting trees as a sequestration solution.

Simply put, once you take carbon out of the ground where it's been for millions of years (and would likely continue to be for millions more years if we left it there), that carbon dioxide is reintroduced into the evironment (the air). One tree is not going to take that CO2 molecule out of the atmosphere for any longer than the tree lives. If trees lived millions of years, than it would be a wash. But trees don't live for millions of years, do they? What that means is that once that particular variety of tree approaches its statistical end of life based on its general longevity (lifespan), ANOTHER tree will have to be planted to take up that same carbon. The same process would have to be repeated over and over again by subsequent generations just for the CO2 released today.

But realistically, on a planet with a growing human population which needs more and more arable land for growing food, how many trees can be planted to take up all the CO2 we are creating now, and tomorrow, and next year, only to need to continue to plant even more trees to replace the ones that die (or that we cut down)?

But the trend is just the opposite, isn't it? More and more old growth forests are being cut down, and it takes one HELL of a lot of saplings to make up for all the carbon in a 200 year old tree.

Again... "you read several books"... wow!
Here is some real numbers ok?

For example, in 2010, Weyerhaeuser reported planting 50 million seedlings.

In theory, planting any kind of tree to produce more forest cover would absorb more carbon dioxide from the atmosphere. On the other hand, a genetically modified tree specimen might grow much faster than any other regular tree.
Some of these trees are already being developed in the lumber and biofuel industries. These fast-growing trees would not only be planted for those industries but they can also be planted to help absorb carbon dioxide faster than slow-growing trees.
Reforestation - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

See what you are forgetting is that "TREES" are a crop! And they want to have more trees..meaning more sequestration!

Divide the life of an average tree into a hundred million years. That's about how many trees you'll have to plant to take care of all the carbon dioxide molecules that one tree could absorb from burning carbon fuel.

The facts ... where are YOUR FACTS? YOUR sources???

A tree can absorb as much as 48 pounds of carbon dioxide per year

Multiple 247 billion trees X 48 pounds of sequestered CO2 equals 5.9 billion tons of CO2 that trees can absorb.

That means Trees absorb ALL the CO2 emitted by all the coal plants. nearly 3 times!

Do you understand math? Or more specifically, do you understand what's known as the fundamental counting principle (example: Q. how many possible lock combinations are there in a four digit number? A. 10,000) I have to assume you do since you throw around a lot of numbers. The trees that are already planted are not CO2 deprived. Therefore, any additional CO2 we put into the air will require additional trees. If you take CO2 out of a current sink that would otherwise contain it for another 200 million years, in order to sequester that additional CO2 for more than the life of one tree (about 200 years), you would need a million different trees over that 200 million year period (200 million years divided by 200). Either that, or the CO2 would go back into the air if it wasn't sequestered in another sink.

However, let's not lose the point here. Even though it's highly unlikely that the human race will even be around 200 million years from now (or even a million years from now), the point is that one planted tree which only lives temporarily, will only temporarily remove the CO2 from the atmosphere. Therefore, if we want that additional CO2 sequestered, either we find a type of sequestration that takes the carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere for a MUCH longer period of time, or we have to be prepared to plant more and more trees each and every years. The reason for that is clear if you'll follow along. Here goes: 200 years from now in 2214, we would have to plant trees for the carbon burned that year, AND for the carbon burned 200 years earlier in 2014. 400 years from now in 2414, we would have to plant trees to take up the carbon burned that year, PLUS for the carbon burned 200 years before in 2214, PLUS for the carbon burned 400 years before in 2014. Get it?

Last edited:

The real question is...what's wrong with your head?

The amount of carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere is the result of a complex interaction between the Earth's natural carbon sources and the natural carbon sinks. There has been a homeostatic balance between sources and sinks for millions of years that has kept CO2 levels between about 180ppm during the 'ice ages' or periods of heavy glaciation and 280-300ppm during the interglacials. Humans have now dug up and burned massive amounts of fossil carbon that had been deeply buried away from the atmosphere for tens of millions of years, and this has raised atmospheric CO2 levels to over 400ppm, a level higher than the Earth has seen in over 15 million years, when sea levels were over a hundred feet higher and the world was a very different place.

So NO, dumbass, your delusions about trees easily absorbing ALL, or even any, of the CO2 that is emitted by coal fired power plants is ignorant nonsense. The trees and other natural carbon sinks were already fully occupied with the carbon from the natural sources so they are now overwhelmed by the vast amounts, close to 40 billion tons a year, of extra excess CO2 that humans are adding to the air, which has raised global CO2 levels by 43% (so far) over pre-industrial levels.

Another failed thread based on the ignorance and gullibility of the bamboozled AGW denier cultists.

The amount of carbon dioxide in the Earth's atmosphere is the result of a complex interaction between the Earth's natural carbon sources and the natural carbon sinks. There has been a homeostatic balance between sources and sinks for millions of years that has kept CO2 levels between about 180ppm during the 'ice ages' or periods of heavy glaciation and 280-300ppm during the interglacials. Humans have now dug up and burned massive amounts of fossil carbon that had been deeply buried away from the atmosphere for tens of millions of years, and this has raised atmospheric CO2 levels to over 400ppm, a level higher than the Earth has seen in over 15 million years, when sea levels were over a hundred feet higher and the world was a very different place.

So NO, dumbass, your delusions about trees easily absorbing ALL, or even any, of the CO2 that is emitted by coal fired power plants is ignorant nonsense. The trees and other natural carbon sinks were already fully occupied with the carbon from the natural sources so they are now overwhelmed by the vast amounts, close to 40 billion tons a year, of extra excess CO2 that humans are adding to the air, which has raised global CO2 levels by 43% (so far) over pre-industrial levels.

Another failed thread based on the ignorance and gullibility of the bamboozled AGW denier cultists.
So, where is the experiment that proves your post? Provide the lab experiment that shows that 120 PPM of CO2 on top of 280 causes temperature changes? you ain't got one.

Take it up the with the American Forests services...

Boy was I wrong!
OK... Assume YOUR figures are correct and using 2.52 lbs per year per tree...
There are almost 247 billion trees over 1 inch in diameter in the U.S.
Tree Facts Facts About Trees
at 2.52 lbs per tree it takes 794 trees to absorb 1 ton of CO2.
1.7 billion tons divided by 794 trees means 2,142,000 trees can absorb 1.7 billion tons of CO2!

Data for Global Carbon Emissions (Fossil fuels, cement, land-use change)

Year
Carbon Emissions
9.7 billion metric tonnes per year (+2.1%)
9.47 billion metric tonnes per year
9.19 billion metric tonnes per year
8.74 billion metric tonnes per year
8.77 billion of metric tonnes per year
8.57 billion metric tonnes per year
8.37 billion metric tonnes per year
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Global Carbon Emissions CO2 Now Current CO2

Where in the hell did you get 40 billion tons???

Data for Global Carbon Emissions (Fossil fuels, cement, land-use change)

Year Carbon Emissions
20129.7 billion metric tonnes per year (+2.1%)
20119.47 billion metric tonnes per year
20109.19 billion metric tonnes per year
20098.74 billion metric tonnes per year
20088.77 billion of metric tonnes per year
20078.57 billion metric tonnes per year
20068.37 billion metric tonnes per year
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Global Carbon Emissions CO2 Now Current CO2

Where in the hell did you get 40 billion tons???

LOLOLOL....you are sooooo ignorant....you don't even understand the difference between 'carbon emissions' and 'carbon dioxide emissions'.

You quote this ' carbon emissions' info but you IGNORE the next line RIGHT AFTER the "carbon emissions" data.

"To convert carbon to carbon dioxide (CO2), multiply the numbers above by 3.67."

Dumbass! Your OP and your thread are a failure.

You Lie & Suck at Math!!! Negged!!!
big-red-x-md.png

After old world diseases killed 90% of the population of the Americas, a vast amount of agricultural land went back to forest. That decreased the global CO2 concentration by about 8 ppm, which increased the severity of the little ice age.

In comparison, CO2 concentrations are now increasing by about 2 ppm per year. So, attempts at reforestation help a little, but even massive projects can't compensate for the current CO2 output.

Forum List

Back