Zone1 Where does it say in the Bible only adults can be baptized?

forkintheroad7

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2024
It doesn't. I have read the Bible. I know it's a shock to hear a Catholic say that, but it's a true story. I've actually read or heard it over and over because the Catholic Church gives us scripture every day, not just on Sunday.

Anyhow, it does not say in the Bible you can't baptize infants and it is inferred that infants were indeed baptized. In Acts, it says "whole households" were baptized. Most households had infants and/or children.

Jesus said to let the children come to Him.

etc

I never heard any such thing.
you must not go to a protestant church?

A lot of them say it all the time, mostly when they're bashing Catholics or Catholicism, which they do because they don't like competition.

The Bible says that baptism is for repentance. What does an infant have to repent for? Are infants even mentally capable of repentance?
Where does it say that baptism is for repentance?

Again, if you claim to go by Bible alone, you need to prove that the Bible explicitly says what you claim it says. Otherwise, you will be seen as being dishonest.

It doesn't. I have read the Bible. I know it's a shock to hear a Catholic say that, but it's a true story. I've actually read or heard it over and over because the Catholic Church gives us scripture every day, not just on Sunday.

Anyhow, it does not say in the Bible you can't baptize infants and it is inferred that infants were indeed baptized. In Acts, it says "whole households" were baptized. Most households had infants and/or children.

Jesus said to let the children come to Him.

etc
Where does it say there were babies in that "whole household"?

Where does "let the little children come to Me" equal baptism.

John required those he baptized to, "bring forth fruit of repentance "

Has that baby you SPRINKLED brought forth "fruit of repentance"?

And, BTW, baptism is IMMERSION under water. But your cult SPRINKLES and calls it "baptism"

Again, if you claim to go by Bible alone, you need to prove that the Bible explicitly says what you claim it says. Otherwise, you will be seen as being dishonest.
Acts 2:38

And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit

Acts 2:38

And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit
We w ant children to receive the Holy Spirit

AS

SOON

As

POSSIBLE

Matt 3:11 "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"

Mark 1:4 "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins"

Acts 19:4 "Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."

Luke 3:3 "And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins"

Acts 13:24 "When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel."

The Prophet Mormon spoke against the false practice of baptizing little children in the Book of Mormon:

MORONI CHAPTER 8

The baptism of little children is an evil abomination—Little children are alive in Christ because of the Atonement—Faith, repentance, meekness and lowliness of heart, receiving the Holy Ghost, and enduring to the end lead to salvation. About A.D. 401–21.

1 An epistle of my father Mormon, written to me, Moroni; and it was written unto me soon after my calling to the ministry. And on this wise did he write unto me, saying:
2 My beloved son, Moroni, I rejoice exceedingly that your Lord Jesus Christ hath been mindful of you, and hath called you to his ministry, and to his holy work.
3 I am mindful of you always in my prayers, continually praying unto God the Father in the name of his Holy Child, Jesus, that he, through his infinite goodness and grace, will keep you through the endurance of faith on his name to the end.
4 And now, my son, I speak unto you concerning that which grieveth me exceedingly; for it grieveth me that there should disputations rise among you.
5 For, if I have learned the truth, there have been disputations among you concerning the baptism of your little children.
6 And now, my son, I desire that ye should labor diligently, that this gross error should be removed from among you; for, for this intent I have written this epistle.
7 For immediately after I had learned these things of you I inquired of the Lord concerning the matter. And the word of the Lord came to me by the power of the Holy Ghost, saying:
8 Listen to the words of Christ, your Redeemer, your Lord and your God. Behold, I came into the world not to call the righteous but sinners to repentance; the whole need no physician, but they that are sick; wherefore, little children are whole, for they are not capable of committing sin; wherefore the curse of Adam is taken from them in me, that it hath no power over them; and the law of circumcision is done away in me.
9 And after this manner did the Holy Ghost manifest the word of God unto me; wherefore, my beloved son, I know that it is solemn mockery before God, that ye should baptize little children.
10 Behold I say unto you that this thing shall ye teach—repentance and baptism unto those who are accountable and capable of committing sin; yea, teach parents that they must repent and be baptized, and humble themselves as their little children, and they shall all be saved with their little children.
11 And their little children need no repentance, neither baptism. Behold, baptism is unto repentance to the fulfilling the commandments unto the remission of sins.
12 But little children are alive in Christ, even from the foundation of the world; if not so, God is a partial God, and also a changeable God, and a respecter to persons; for how many little children have died without baptism!
13 Wherefore, if little children could not be saved without baptism, these must have gone to an endless hell.
14 Behold I say unto you, that he that supposeth that little children need baptism is in the gall of bitterness and in the bonds of iniquity; for he hath neither faith, hope, nor charity; wherefore, should he be cut off while in the thought, he must go down to hell.
15 For awful is the wickedness to suppose that God saveth one child because of baptism, and the other must perish because he hath no baptism.
16 Wo be unto them that shall pervert the ways of the Lord after this manner, for they shall perish except they repent. Behold, I speak with boldness, having authority from God; and I fear not what man can do; for perfect love casteth out all fear.
17 And I am filled with charity, which is everlasting love; wherefore, all children are alike unto me; wherefore, I love little children with a perfect love; and they are all alike and partakers of salvation.
18 For I know that God is not a partial God, neither a changeable being; but he is unchangeable from all eternity to all eternity.
19 Little children cannot repent; wherefore, it is awful wickedness to deny the pure mercies of God unto them, for they are all alive in him because of his mercy.
20 And he that saith that little children need baptism denieth the mercies of Christ, and setteth at naught the atonement of him and the power of his redemption.
21 Wo unto such, for they are in danger of death, hell, and an endless torment. I speak it boldly; God hath commanded me. Listen unto them and give heed, or they stand against you at the judgment-seat of Christ.
22 For behold that all little children are alive in Christ, and also all they that are without the law. For the power of redemption cometh on all them that have no law; wherefore, he that is not condemned, or he that is under no condemnation, cannot repent; and unto such baptism availeth nothing—
23 But it is mockery before God, denying the mercies of Christ, and the power of his Holy Spirit, and putting trust in dead works.
24 Behold, my son, this thing ought not to be; for repentance is unto them that are under condemnation and under the curse of a broken law.
25 And the first fruits of repentance is baptism; and baptism cometh by faith unto the fulfilling the commandments; and the fulfilling the commandments bringeth remission of sins;
26 And the remission of sins bringeth meekness, and lowliness of heart; and because of meekness and lowliness of heart cometh the visitation of the Holy Ghost, which Comforter filleth with hope and perfect love, which love endureth by diligence unto prayer, until the end shall come, when all the saints shall dwell with God.
27 Behold, my son, I will write unto you again if I go not out soon against the Lamanites. Behold, the pride of this nation, or the people of the Nephites, hath proven their destruction except they should repent.
28 Pray for them, my son, that repentance may come unto them. But behold, I fear lest the Spirit hath ceased striving with them; and in this part of the land they are also seeking to put down all power and authority which cometh from God; and they are denying the Holy Ghost.
29 And after rejecting so great a knowledge, my son, they must perish soon, unto the fulfilling of the prophecies which were spoken by the prophets, as well as the words of our Savior himself.
30 Farewell, my son, until I shall write unto you, or shall meet you again. Amen.

Baptism is a symbolic outward expression of a TRUE inner change....of repentance, turning from one's old life to a new life with Christ! It is about going from death to LIFE, and that's what going underwater and then coming up again is a picture of.

It is for BELIEVERS who have repented, and a baby can't do that, a baby has zero idea what is going on, and is not capable of making that decision.

I mean, I get that you have been taught all your life that infant baptism is right, but it is simply unbiblical.

JESUS is our example. His parents dedicated him to God as a baby (which is biblical) but he was BAPTIZED as an adult, to show us how it's done!

where does it say there were NOT?

I mean, this is ridiculous
Yeah it is ridiculous. Catholics don't follow the Bible. They follow their cults traditions. You insist on plugging into the Bible what you want it to say, instead of actually obeying what it says.

You insincerely "ask" questions, thinking you'll trip up those who know the Scriptures far better than you, and when you get an answer FROM THE SCRIPTURES, you reject it in favor of your cults traditions

Matt 3:11 "I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance: but he that cometh after me is mightier than I, whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire:"

Mark 1:4 "John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins"

Acts 19:4 "Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus."

Luke 3:3 "And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins"

Acts 13:24 "When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel."

:clap: :clap: :clap: Thank you! And that's just a partial list. I mean, water baptism is clearly tied to belief and repentance over and over in the New Testament. I don't want to give forkintheroad a hard time, but I'm kind of amazed that she is unaware of that or would deny it.

Baptism is a symbolic outward expression of a TRUE inner change....of repentance, turning from one's old life to a new life with Christ! It is about going from death to LIFE, and that's what going underwater and then coming up again is a picture of.

It is for BELIEVERS who have repented, and a baby can't do that, a baby has zero idea what is going on, and is not capable of making that decision.

I mean, I get that you have been taught all your life that infant baptism is right, but it is simply unbiblical.

JESUS is our example. His parents dedicated him to God as a baby (which is biblical) but he was BAPTIZED as an adult, to show us how it's done!
And they keep saying "we" believe you HAVE TO be an adult. That isn't necessarily true.

A person does have to reach the age of accountability. That can vary.

At age 12 Jesus was found in the Temple discussing the Scriptures on their level. He already was able to discuss these things with sincere men MUCH older than He. And this was at age 12! Yet He was baptized at age 30 to set an example for us.

Acts 2:38 - And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 22:16 - And now why do you wait? Rise and be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on his name.’

1 Peter 3:21 - Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ,

Mark 16:16 - Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

Matthew 28:19 - Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

1 Corinthians 12:13 - For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.

Acts 2:41 - So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

Romans 6:3-4 - Do you not know that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were buried therefore with him by baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, we too might walk in newness of life.

Galatians 3:27 - For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

And they keep saying "we" believe you HAVE TO be an adult. That isn't necessarily true.

A person does have to reach the age of accountability. That can vary.

At age 12 Jesus was found in the Temple discussing the Scriptures on their level. He already was able to discuss these things with sincere men MUCH older than He. And this was at age 12! Yet He was baptized at age 30 to set an example for us.

True. There are children who get baptized, but when they are old enough to understand what they're doing.

Even then, however, in my view people should be careful and make sure one is truly ready. It's not a game, it's not something to take lightly.

True. There are children who get baptized, but when they are old enough to understand what they're doing.

Even then, however, in my view people should be careful and make sure one is truly ready. It's not a game, it's not something to take lightly.
I was baptized at age 20. This was after my experiences with the occult. The minister who performed my Baptism visited with me several times before he determined I was ready. At the time I really wasn't sure what he was looking for. Later I understood.

Sadly, he died about a year later in a traffic accident while doing "The Work."

Forum List

Back