What is your opinion of the MLB pitch clock?

I am not a fan. I inadvertently saw a piece about it the other day. The article was mostly comments from pitchers. Most said it was contributing to more pitcher injuries this season. The pitchers said that rushing can throw off one's timing, and hence, cause injuries.

A few discussed recovery time between pitches. An example is just getting one's wind. They compared it to a weightlifter taking a few minutes between max lifts.
I like it but it hasn’t made me now suddenly wanting to watch baseball games. It’s still boring. Unless it’s your team and they’re good. Let me know when the tigers are making a push to make the playoffs. Or if theyre good.

If Cleveland isn't allowed to call their team the Indians then maybe the USAF should sue the New York Jets and the National Organization of Dwarfs should sue the New York Giants.

If Cleveland isn't allowed to call their team the Indians then maybe the USAF should sue the New York Jets and the National Organization of Dwarfs should sue the New York Giants.

They weren't sued into changing their name.

I am not a fan. I inadvertently saw a piece about it the other day. The article was mostly comments from pitchers. Most said it was contributing to more pitcher injuries this season. The pitchers said that rushing can throw off one's timing, and hence, cause injuries.

A few discussed recovery time between pitches. An example is just getting one's wind. They compared it to a weightlifter taking a few minutes between max lifts.
My baseball days go back to the 60’s. Games could be completed in 1.5 hours. Typical time was 2.0-2.5 hours. By the 80’s it’s over 3 hours. Most people don’t even want to have sex for 3 hours.

Most said it was contributing to more pitcher injuries this season. The pitchers said that rushing can throw off one's timing, and hence, cause injuries.
I don't buy that. I think it's just certain loud pitchers who happen to desire the slow, painful pace, and they want their way of doing things back .
1. That's disproven by the many successful pitchers throughout the eras who work fast and don't get injured at any great rate beyond the slugs/sloths who take 10 years between pitches.
2. While a pitch is a large sudden exertion, it's also heavily reliant on technique, and isn't nearly the same as compound lifts such as bench press or squats. That's a horrible comparison.

The pitch clock is good for baseball, it makes the game more consumable. For years as baseball declined after the steroid era, one of the number one complaints in polling data of baseball was the slow pace.. the 4 hour games.

Next up is cube laser grid strike zones. Get it done. It's a total barrier for me to watch baseball knowing that umps not only F up so many calls, but also are more drama-queens and petty than 14 year old school girls. They're uber sensitive, and too many appear to be trying to make up for the days they were picked on at recess.

The strike zone should be the same for all players, just as the NBA basketball rim is the 10ft for all players, whether you're 5'7" or 7'1".

2. While a pitch is a large sudden exertion, it's also heavily reliant on technique, and isn't nearly the same as compound lifts such as bench press or squats. That's a horrible comparison.
I'll stick with the pitchers who are actually saying this.

The pitch clock is good for baseball, it makes the game more consumable. For years as baseball declined after the steroid era, one of the number one complaints in polling data of baseball was the slow pace.. the 4 hour games.
Different sports come and go in popularity. The steroid era fit right in with the baseball executives desire to have more offense (read: home runs).

The complaints are from marginal fans and women who don't follow the game. There is something going on with every pitch. A LOT going on. The casual fan does not get that.

Next up is cube laser grid strike zones. Get it done. It's a total barrier for me to watch baseball knowing that umps not only F up so many calls, but also are more drama-queens and petty than 14 year old school girls. They're uber sensitive, and too many appear to be trying to make up for the days they were picked on at recess.
Umpires are remarkably accurate. And a big lol about umps being teen girls. That's a new one.

The strike zone should be the same for all players, just as the NBA basketball rim is the 10ft for all players, whether you're 5'7" or 7'1".
The strike zone is the same for everyone. What differs is who gets the pitch and who does not. A great pitcher sometimes gets the benefit of the doubt and gets a marginal call. Same with a great batter who gets a ball called.

This is no different than a great basketball player driving to the basket and getting the benefit of the doubt by often going to the foul line.

My baseball days go back to the 60’s. Games could be completed in 1.5 hours. Typical time was 2.0-2.5 hours. By the 80’s it’s over 3 hours. Most people don’t even want to have sex for 3 hours.
Average length in the 1960s was ~2.5 hours. You'd have to go way back to get that 1.5 hour average time.

Other reasons why the game length increased is more ads, more pitching changes, instant replay, and the DH (better hitters are not going down 1-2-3 strikes like pitchers).

I like it but it hasn’t made me now suddenly wanting to watch baseball games. It’s still boring. Unless it’s your team and they’re good. Let me know when the tigers are making a push to make the playoffs. Or if theyre good.
Regular season is sometimes boring to me in any sport. I listen to BB games on the radio, but I'm not tuned in to every pitch. The exception is football because there are much fewer games.

I suggest watching interesting play-by-play announcers and analysts. I think Smoltz is one of the best. It is, of course, more exciting to see Smoltz in the World Series booth.

Regular season is sometimes boring to me in any sport. I listen to BB games on the radio, but I'm not tuned in to every pitch. The exception is football because there are much fewer games.

I suggest watching interesting play-by-play announcers and analysts. I think Smoltz is one of the best. It is, of course, more exciting to see Smoltz in the World Series booth.
Tigers got to be good or I’ll wait for the World Series.

I can’t even watch entire nba games anymore.

even football I dvr then watch so I can not only ff commercials but also in between plays. After the play I hit ff 15 seconds and it works out perfect. They’re just about ready to line up and snap the ball. It’s wonderful. I dvr all games on tv. Every team. Some games I ff till I see they scored then rewind and go see how they did it. I hate 3 and outs.

Forum List

Back