Should we take cell phones out of school? Is it even possible anymore?

Good point.....but I do know of some instances where the phone made the difference....not just against bullies but also some twisted teachers.
I also understand the problem in undoing what is done. But so many young people now do not have problem solving skills, have no abstract or critical thinking skills, have no knowledge or interest in anything other than what they know to access on those phones, tablets, etc.

How about we work harder to give children serious instruction on how to handle or protect themselves from the twisted and do what we can to get the twisted teacher out of the classroom. I've had a few bad, even inappropriate teachers but never one that was inappropriate with his/her students other than one band teacher who seemed to enjoy measuring the girls' inseams for their band uniforms. All the kids knew about that guy and knew how to keep their distance from him.

But I think it would be a very good thing to have the kids put their phones and tablets and all other electronic devices into their lockers when they arrive at school and learn how to take notes, communicate verbally, listen and understand, read and comprehend, and develop those abstract and critical thinking skills that so enrich the lives of those who have them. (And also helps them recognize truth vs fiction, what is profitable and useful versus what is offered by bad actors, etc.)

Otherwise we are creating a population that will be at the mercy of AI and have no resources to push back against the use of it by bad actors.

..... But so many young people now do not have problem solving skills, have no abstract or critical thinking skills, have no knowledge or interest in anything other than what they know to access .......

...said old people at all times.

Says people who actually work with kids, hire them, supervise them. Some are able to get beyond their programming but far too many do not.

Older folks (yeah, including me) too often suffer from "back in the day..." disease. Kids today are doing alright. I "actually work with kids" in a variety of contexts. Kids today are more thoughtful and tolerant than when I was a student. Critical thinking is emphasized more today than when I was in school. A wide variety of information is far more readily available than when I was a student. Of course, the means and opportunity to distract and waste time are far, far greater and more diverse than ever before. I often remind my students that a hammer can be a useful tool, but not if you use it to smash yourself in the head instead of building something. There is a reason why I don't allow the use of pneumatic hammers in class.

Older folks (yeah, including me) too often suffer from "back in the day..." disease. Kids today are doing alright. I "actually work with kids" in a variety of contexts. Kids today are more thoughtful and tolerant than when I was a student. Critical thinking is emphasized more today than when I was in school. A wide variety of information is far more readily available than when I was a student. Of course, the means and opportunity to distract and waste time are far, far greater and more diverse than ever before. I often remind my students that a hammer can be a useful tool, but not if you use it to smash yourself in the head instead of building something. There is a reason why I don't allow the use of pneumatic hammers in class.
Well you're as entitled to your observations and beliefs as I am. I have not seen your version of how things are in real life in a very long time though.

I can't tell you how many kids I've seen go from barely D- seat warmers killing zombies and texting strangers to solid A students heading toward their real potential when the fucking cell phones were put away. Just about exactly the opposite of what happened when pot was legalized.

Well you're as entitled to your observations and beliefs as I am. I have not seen your version of how things are in real life in a very long time though.
When was the last time? Last place?

I can't tell you how many kids I've seen go from barely D- seat warmers killing zombies and texting strangers to solid A students heading toward their real potential when the fucking cell phones were put away. Just about exactly the opposite of what happened when pot was legalized.

when was pot legalized for kids?

Are you saying that you saw a change in your students after weed was legalized?

What difference would that make? Kids still can’t buy it

not legally. But even back in the early 80s it was easy to get

Forum List

Back