Field Trips and Standardized Tests

I believe he is conflating adult ESL classes with ESL for appropriate aged children.
I can’t imagine why. There is nothing in the OP that would suggest anything other than high school students. "College applications" and "graduation" are specifically mentioned.

Last edited:
You could have said that in a much more clear fashion in the OP yes? And explained how it affects your class size this time of year?

Maybe it's just me but those who speak in some sort of 'code' instead of just saying what they mean atr far more difficult to understand. And can make it far more difficult to learn.

I think what he's trying to say is that the end of the school year presents a double-edged sword: field trips are memorable learning experiences, but students miss out on important class time too.

But it's also just what it is every year in May. Comes with the territory.

I think what he's trying to say is that the end of the school year presents a double-edged sword: field trips are memorable learning experiences, but students miss out on important class time too.

But it's also just what it is every year in May. Comes with the territory.
Yes you're right and that was my impression too. Not a lot of learning happens those last few days to two weeks in May anyway in my opinion. Most teachers use them for at least some review in preparation for final exams and otherwise just filled the time with something. I was one of those kids who loved schools and couldn't wait for it to start in the fall, but I also couldn't wait for summer vacation. And all my friends and families who became educators tell me teachers are counting down those days too. :)

Last edited:
Yes you're right and that was my impression too. Not a lot of learning happens those last few days to two weeks in May anyway in my opinion. Most teachers use them for at least some review in preparation for final exams and otherwise just filled the time with something. I was one of those kids who loved schools and couldn't wait for it to start in the fall, but I also couldn't wait for summer vacation. And all my friends and families who became educators tell me teachers are counting down those days too. :)

I taught for two years out of state, and there, the culture was that everyone pretty much quit in the last month. Countdown in the staff lounge and everything. But 20-30 days of school is still a looooong time.

When I started with my current district, I was impressed that we recognize that it's the end of the year, but we press on. Summer break usually starts around June 5-10th. I admit it's hard to get the kids back after a long Memorial Day weekend, but at that time, we're down to a handful of days, so that's okay.

Forum List

Back