Buddhism

The title of this thread should be: Cut and Paste Buddhism.
It is too late for me to edit the title, lol. Did you have anything you would like to correct from my "cut and paste?"

You speak of the good in religion. Buddhism is among the most peaceful is spirit but war and violence is very much a part of that as well. War against other faiths, warrior monks, human torches, self suffering and abuse.

Buddha might have tried to teach a better way, but he was human and not perfect, nor is the inner spirituality he tried to teach.

Praying and meditation might make people feel better inside, but actions and hard work will help us actually save lives. No matter how good and pure of thought we are, or how many times we re reincarnated, a random natural disaster or asteroid could change that in an instant setting us against each other fighting for survival or wiping out all life.

Use faith and spirituality for the right reason, but don't pretend any one book or teaching is the whole truth and there is nothing else out there to learn. Because you believe don't mean in something that gives you peace, does not men it is right for everyone else or they are all wrong and doomed to some eternal punishment. That is just hateful and bigoted.

I'm not concerned one way or other for your inner peace, but I see too much self contained insulation, ignorance as means of self protection in religion or a way to manipulate others to do the will of man not god, too often for the worst.

Like children we need to believe in things like santa and the tooth fairy, till we grow up. They are used by adults to teach us, and manipulate us to behave. We create imaginary friends for amusement and to help us reason thing out, but they eventually become unnecessary and vanish.

I don't have to believe to enjoy the songs, ceremony and communal gatherings many associate with religion. Don't have to go to a particular school to watch a game, or live in a country to enjoy aspects of a culture. You can serve vietnamese lemongrass shrimp, grasshoppers, monkey brains sushi and gefilte fish at a mezza if you want.

It is too late for me to edit the title, lol. Did you have anything you would like to correct from my "cut and paste?"

You speak of the good in religion. Buddhism is among the most peaceful is spirit but war and violence is very much a part of that as well. War against other faiths, warrior monks, human torches, self suffering and abuse.

Buddha might have tried to teach a better way, but he was human and not perfect, nor is the inner spirituality he tried to teach.

Praying and meditation might make people feel better inside, but actions and hard work will help us actually save lives. No matter how good and pure of thought we are, or how many times we re reincarnated, a random natural disaster or asteroid could change that in an instant setting us against each other fighting for survival or wiping out all life.

Use faith and spirituality for the right reason, but don't pretend any one book or teaching is the whole truth and there is nothing else out there to learn. Because you believe don't mean in something that gives you peace, does not men it is right for everyone else or they are all wrong and doomed to some eternal punishment. That is just hateful and bigoted.

I'm not concerned one way or other for your inner peace, but I see too much self contained insulation, ignorance as means of self protection in religion or a way to manipulate others to do the will of man not god, too often for the worst.

Like children we need to believe in things like santa and the tooth fairy, till we grow up. They are used by adults to teach us, and manipulate us to behave. We create imaginary friends for amusement and to help us reason thing out, but they eventually become unnecessary and vanish.

I don't have to believe to enjoy the songs, ceremony and communal gatherings many associate with religion. Don't have to go to a particular school to watch a game, or live in a country to enjoy aspects of a culture. You can serve vietnamese lemongrass shrimp, grasshoppers, monkey brains sushi and gefilte fish at a mezza if you want.
You lack objectivity. You are great at seeing the bad but horrible in WEIGHING the good.

Richard Gere is a Buddhist and has never made a good movie. I just call em as I see em.

no religion should be longer than a paragraph or easily spoken to be learned ... Triumph of Good vs Evil is the entirety of the desert religions.

You lack objectivity. You are great at seeing the bad but horrible in WEIGHING the good.

* ignoring history does not make it any different or make's your perception any less distorted.

* ignoring history does not make it any different or make's your perception any less distorted.

Speaking of lack of objectivity... and here you are.

Today and throughout history, a lot of bad.
Mankind can be good, but not because this or that god past or present tells them. He has to realize it is in his best interest and within his own power, not expect for some other power to intervene because he is beloved of some god because he prays and believes in myths.

"god" nature give us brains to think and explore, not cover our heads with tinfoil and hide in a basement waiting for some rapture or savior to make everything better for them. Prayer/meditation might comfort the inside but it won't fix the problems outside in the world, people working hard both mind and body might. People with their eyes open, eyes that see the problems and horrors, not just the sugar plum fairies and candy canes.

Too many use religion, and faith, to hide from truth. I'd rather get out and dig for answers, reasons and seek solutions. I don't attribute everything to the whim of some game/dungeon master rolling the dice or some emotional vain vengeful god.

Mankind can be good, but not because this or that god past or present tells them. He has to realize it is in his best interest and within his own power, not expect for some other power to intervene because he is beloved of some god because he prays and believes in myths.

"god" nature give us brains to think and explore, not cover our heads with tinfoil and hide in a basement waiting for some rapture or savior to make everything better for them. Prayer/meditation might comfort the inside but it won't fix the problems outside in the world, people working hard both mind and body might. People with their eyes open, eyes that see the problems and horrors, not just the sugar plum fairies and candy canes.

Too many use religion, and faith, to hide from truth. I'd rather get out and dig for answers, reasons and seek solutions. I don't attribute everything to the whim of some game/dungeon master rolling the dice or some emotional vain vengeful god.
And yet by any objective measure religion has been a force for good.

upload_2016-12-16_15-31-39.jpeg

I'll refer you again to your past, the above is the norm for the repressive biblical based religions. there is no escaping the facts nor the lack of remorse exhibited by christians.

You are literally a moron if you believe that what happens here on earth is a result of a vengeful God. But for the sake of argument, if you are going to blame God for the bad, don't you believe you should give Him credit for the good too. Your glass is half empty. Why are you even here?

You are literally a moron if you believe that what happens here on earth is a result of a vengeful God. But for the sake of argument, if you are going to blame God for the bad, don't you believe you should give Him credit for the good too. Your glass is half empty. Why are you even here?

Believe? No. Written in religion text from around the world.

That is the point. I don't believe in such things, but far too many people do, and fear and worship such a god(s).

Believe? No. Written in religion text from around the world.

That is the point. I don't believe in such things, but far too many people do, and fear and worship such a god(s).
You act like people were vastly different that they are today. They weren't much different than us. There have always been people who questioned the existence of God. There has always been people who violated the moral law and nothing happened to them... immediately. The story you are trying to sell is complete crap. The message of the Bible is that failed behaviors lead to failure and successful behaviors lead to success. It seems to me that is the belief you are most against.

Forum List

Back