Buddhism

Eightfold Path. Life for Buddha was full of pain and suffering (dukkha). This is evident in birth, sickness, decay, and death. For Buddha, suffering is also caused by an insatiable desire for pleasure, existence, and prosperity. If one wishes to overcome suffering, then he or she must eliminate these desires. But how can this be accomplished? Buddha taught that for one to escape suffering, one must follow in the Eightfold Path, also known as "The Middle Way." Kenneth Boa captures well this scheme of remedial treatment when he writes:

The Eightfold Path is a system of therapy designed to develop habits that will release people from the restrictions caused by ignorance and craving. Each follower must join an order (the sangha) and associate with other disciples of Buddha. The Eightfold Path consists of: (1) right knowledge (the Four Noble Truths), (2) right aspirations (intentions), (3) right speech (overcoming falsehood and promoting truth), (4) right conduct, (5) right livelihood (certain occupations must not be followed, such as slave trader, tax collector, or butcher), (6) right effort, (7) right mindfulness (self-analysis), and (8) right meditation (the techniques of Raja Yoga).[73]

Again, this "Eightfold Path" or the "Middle Way" is succinctly stated by Carlson and Decker as (1) Right View, (2) Right Resolve, (3) Right Speech, (4) Right Action,[74] (5) Right Livelihood, (6) Right Effort, (7) Right Concentration, and (8) Right Ecstasy.[75] Right View means that one comprehends the Four Noble Truths. Right Resolve is the determination to obey the Four Noble Truths. If one wishes to avoid suffering, then one must have Right Speech, Right Action, and Right Livelihood. In addition to the practical aspects, one must also adopt the spiritual aspects, namely, the emptying of the mind (Right Effort), the higher states of the mind and body control (Right Concentration), and cessation of sense experience and receiving universal knowledge (Right Ecstasy).[76]

"The goal of each Buddhist" writes Boa, "is the attainment of the state of nirvana."[77] Again, Boa points out that "Gautama’s original teaching was that nirvana is not God or heaven, for his system has no place for deity."[78] For Gautama (Siddhartha, Buddha) the Absolute is totally impersonal, and salvation is achieved by one’s own labor. He also adopted the Hindu philosophy of transmigration (samsara, s…m-sär"…) and karma into his reasoned doctrine.

Buddha modified the teaching about the transmigration of souls by asserting that men do not have souls. "There is no enduring self or no actual substance (anicca) which goes through rebirth, but only a set of feelings, impressions, and present moments. All external reality is illusion (maya, mä"y…).[79] Buddha also taught that each man is an island unto himself. "Buddha said, ‘If someone is suffering, that is his karma.’ You are not to interfere with another person’s karma because he is purging himself through suffering and reincarnation! Buddha said, ‘You are to be an island unto yourself.’"[80]

[73] Boa, Cults, World Religions and the Occult, 32.

[74] Right Action, or Right Conduct demands five precepts: (1) forbidding killing, (2) stealing, (3) lying, (4) adultery, and (5) drinking intoxicants.

[75] Carlson, Fast Facts on False Teachings, 24.

[76] I am especially indebted to Carlson and Decker for this insight.

[77] Boa, Cults, World Religions and the Occult, 32.

[78] Ibid.

[79] Ibid., 33.

[80] Carlson, Fast Facts on False Teachings, 29.

Sermons and Essays*Buddhism and Hinduism

Throws a wet sock at the idea of a need for a god.
A theist cut and pasting on Buddhism?
10% of the present population, and vast population of the last 2000 plus years don't need to believe in a god.
Did you gain some insight in the last couple of days?
I have been informed recently that I am more of a deist than a theist. Who knew? Of course, I would have thought someone who lectured on religion, such as yourself, would have known.

I studied all of the major religions when I woke up. When did you walk away from God?

Would have known your mind and heart? Only by what you post.

I did not major in mind reading via a message board
So instead you chose to make assumptions.

If you did not believe in God, why did you study religion?

age 10, I just stopped going with my father and grandmother. I'd had questions since I first remember going to a church.
I took my father when he got older but usually took a book to read while sitting there.

Used to lecture on religious anthropology, a lifetime ago....sometimes seems like two

Then why did you used to lecture on religious anthropology?

I studied religions, all religions, their origins and progressions as they changed and divided.
I did not teach faith. I would be asked to spoke about history, psychology, politics and later about healing.
I grew and saw the divisiveness, hypocrisy and cruelty of religion. I sought to understand it, not how to believe in it/them.
Over the course of my life I had time when I had to be a liaison between groups of differing faith, how to talk to them both and find commonality for them to agree on morally and legally. I also had times when I had to do research on historical/religion items, so I had to understand the history and relevance of items.

That was just a small part of my total diverse background

age 10, I just stopped going with my father and grandmother. I'd had questions since I first remember going to a church.
I took my father when he got older but usually took a book to read while sitting there.

Used to lecture on religious anthropology, a lifetime ago....sometimes seems like two

I studied religions, all religions, their origins and progressions as they changed and divided.
I did not teach faith. I would be asked to spoke about history, psychology, politics and later about healing.
I grew and saw the divisiveness, hypocrisy and cruelty of religion. I sought to understand it, not how to believe in it/them.
Over the course of my life I had time when I had to be a liaison between groups of differing faith, how to talk to them both and find commonality for them to agree on morally and legally. I also had times when I had to do research on historical/religion items, so I had to understand the history and relevance of items.

It seems that you saw what you wanted to see.

I was asked to by schools, colleges and groups around the world. It was the history and psychology not to teach theology. I studied the theology to understand them. Was not hard, I grew up around so many of them and traveled the world since I was very young. I spoke a few language and learned to translate a number of ancient ones along the way.

I was asked to by schools, colleges and groups around the world. It was the history and psychology not to teach theology. I studied the theology to understand them. Was not hard, I grew up around so many of them and traveled the world since I was very young. I spoke a few language and learned to translate a number of ancient ones along the way.
Was it hard for you to overlook the good that came from religion?

The cashier at the supermarket , a nice girl from Tibet, talked to me a little about buddhism....and when she referred to Dalai Lama she called him your Holiness... :dunno:

hehe ... I just wanted to contribute something here.:)

It seems that you saw what you wanted to see.

I saw and studied a lot of things in my life. I've been and done a lot. I worked and competed since I was seven and traveled to almost every country. It's not what I want to see, it's what I have seen and experienced along the way and studied and subjects that just peaked my interest just for fun.

Buddhism is better than the religion of piss, Islam....yuck:puke:

That's all I know!:D

Siddhartha Gautama (gô"t…-m…, 563-483) founded Buddhism about the time that the people of Judah were exiled (586 B.C.) in Babylon.[60] Approximately, twenty-five hundred years ago Siddhartha wandered through India and was known as Buddha (b›"d…), or "the Enlightened One." Siddhartha lived a sheltered life in the hill country bordering modern-day India and Nepal (n…-pôl"). Sometime after marriage and the birth of a son, he became aware of those who were suffering, sick, and dying. As a result of this encounter with the real world, he left his family and became an ascetic.[61] After six years of this life style, Siddhartha was reduced to skin and bones. During this time, he sat down under the Bo (b½) or Bodhi (Wisdom) tree[62] near the river Gaya (g…-yä"). During this period of meditation, he achieved "Enlightenment" and became known as the Buddha, that is to say, "The Enlightened One" (525 B.C.).[63] Thus, Buddha entered Nirvana (nîr-vä"n…)[64] while still alive. Terry Muck observes:

Buddhism teaches that suffering and existence are inseparable; salvation, or more properly liberation from suffering, comes only from realizing that each person is part of this inseparable connection. That knowledge leads to an inward extinction of self and the senses until it culminates in a state of illumination that is beyond suffering and existence. This final state of illumination is called nirvana.[65]

[60] Dean C. Halverson, "Buddhism," in The Compact Guide to World Religions, general ed. Dean C. Halverson (Minneapolis: Bethany House, 1996), 54.

[61] Siddhartha abandoned his family at age 29.

[62] Kenneth Boa, Cults, World Religions and the Occult (USA: Victor, 96), 31.

[63] Carlson, Fast Facts on False Teachings, 23.

[64] Nirvana is the final outcome of one's salvation. In other words, the salvation of the soul is absorbed into the one eternal reality.

[65] J. D. Douglas, general editor, New 20th - Century Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge, Second Edition, (Grand Rapids: Baker, 1991), 127, s.v. "Buddhism," by Terry C. Muck.

Sermons and Essays*Buddhism and Hinduism
I just got back from Southeast Asia last week.
Crappy religion that hates the poor.

Buddhism is better than the religion of piss, Islam....yuck:puke:

That's all I know!:D
When I think of Buddhism I get a sense of peace and serenity....the other one I take out a life insurance policy.

I grew and saw the divisiveness, hypocrisy and cruelty of religion.

I studied all of the major religions when I woke up.

was it hard for you to wake up, from where ...

The place where you are at now.

in Florida, christian maybe you just think you woke up.

The good of men?
I studied healing and medicine and seen a great deal of good and strange things, but god? Organized religion? I seek to find answers not believe in myths.
I volunteer with hospice, cancer patients and disabled. I've help birth babies and held people's hands as they die. I've seen wonders of the world and some of the worst horrors, disasters and massacres of the last half century.
Religion? I've seen religion around the world, the best and the absolute worst.
Nothing to make me personally believe in some meddling force handing down rules. History has shown me how religions began and why, how they evolved down the millennia. A bit like seeing how sausage is make.

Just because I know religions, studied them, does not mean I have to believe in them. The totality of them, gives me less reason to believe in any one or type.
Just not rational. They can give simple answers and comfort to some that need it. I seeks answers beyond.

I love fairy tales, myths and fiction, does not mean I have to believe every word of them even if they tell some truth along the way, by accident or design. Does not mean they are written by or about some god.

When you see a burning fire on TV during new years, do you believe you are in front from a warm roaring fire with the smell of wood? Do you seek to know how a TV works and where the image originated? Do you wonder why people in warm temperatures wearing shorts would even want to see a burning fire place on TV?

in Florida, christian maybe you just think you woke up.

Maybe, maybe not. Time will tell.

The good of men?
I studied healing and medicine and seen a great deal of good and strange things, but god? Organized religion? I seek to find answers not believe in myths.
I volunteer with hospice, cancer patients and disabled. I've help birth babies and held people's hands as they die. I've seen wonders of the world and some of the worst horrors, disasters and massacres of the last half century.
Nothing to make me personally believe in some meddling force handing down rules. History has shown me how religions began and why, how they evolved down the millennia. A bit like seeing how sausage is make.

Just because I know religions, studied them, does not mean I have to believe in them. The totality of them, gives me less reason to believe in any one or type.
Just not rational. They can give simple answers and comfort to some that need it. I seeks answers beyond.

I love fairy tales, myths and fiction, does not mean I have to believe every word of them even if they tell some truth along the way, by accident or design. Does not mean they are written by or about some god.

When you see a burning fire on TV during new years, do you believe you are in front from a warm roaring fire with the smell of wood? Do you seek to know how a TV works and where the image originated? Do you wonder why people in warm temperatures wearing shorts would even want to see a burning fire place on TV?
Like I said before, I believe that you see exactly what you want to see.

The good of men?

If it give you some comfort to "believe" that.................

The good of men?

If it give you some comfort to "believe" that.................
Not really, I try to not have a preference.

The title of this thread should be: Cut and Paste Buddhism.
It is too late for me to edit the title, lol. Did you have anything you would like to correct from my "cut and paste?"

Forum List

Back