A Balanced View of Climate Change

Were already just 1.2C or so above the pre-industrial average and things are already getting bananas.
Pretend it is a train coming at us. The Train is so far away we can't hear it. Should I worry or simply keep walking down the street? These nuts act as if Climate (lasts from 30 years to many more) is roaring our way trying to destroy us. So tell them no thanks.

Pretend it is a train coming at us. The Train is so far away we can't hear it. Should I worry or simply keep walking down the street? These nuts act as if Climate (lasts from 30 years to many more) is roaring our way trying to destroy us. So tell them no thanks.
Think about being on the tracks, a train is approaching from the distance and you find that you can only move a few millimeters a year.

Think about being on the tracks, a train is approaching from the distance and you find that you can only move a few millimeters a year.
Thanks a lot for helping me make my case. Let's try that and see if it works.

The tracks is the Earth and you cannot get off it.

We are in our current situation because far too many people listened to advice like yours.
My advice is to listen to the scientists who speak the truth and are not out to cause you a lot of distress.

My advice is to listen to the scientists who speak the truth and are not out to cause you a lot of distress.
I do listen to scientists but I should hope NOT to scientists who decide what to tell me and what not based on how distressed they think I might become. The thing we're all after here is the truth and not all truths are painless.

In 2021, when the environmental advocacy group Center for Climate Integrity set out to examine air conditioning, its researchers collected information on more than 150 schools and school districts across the country. They found that in places where temperatures historically hit 80 degrees Fahrenheit at least 32 days during the academic year, the vast majority of schools already had air conditioning.

Using this as their threshold for when AC is needed, they modeled what it would cost to keep schools cool in the near future under a moderate warming scenario. Their answer: more than 13,700 public schools in the United States. that did not need air conditioning in 1970 need it today. Some have already installed it, some are working on it now and some can only dream of having enough money. The estimated cost of this huge investment exceeds $40 billion.

Paul Chinowsky, a professor emeritus of engineering at the University of Colorado at Boulder who led the analysis, said it showed two distinct trends in America: Northern school districts experiencing hotter school year temperatures that are overheating classrooms and forcing closures, especially in old buildings without enough electrical capacity to run air conditioners. And Southern districts with aging cooling systems outmatched by abnormally hot weather.

In 2021, when the environmental advocacy group Center for Climate Integrity set out to examine air conditioning, its researchers collected information on more than 150 schools and school districts across the country. They found that in places where temperatures historically hit 80 degrees Fahrenheit at least 32 days during the academic year, the vast majority of schools already had air conditioning.

Using this as their threshold for when AC is needed, they modeled what it would cost to keep schools cool in the near future under a moderate warming scenario. Their answer: more than 13,700 public schools in the United States. that did not need air conditioning in 1970 need it today. Some have already installed it, some are working on it now and some can only dream of having enough money. The estimated cost of this huge investment exceeds $40 billion.

Paul Chinowsky, a professor emeritus of engineering at the University of Colorado at Boulder who led the analysis, said it showed two distinct trends in America: Northern school districts experiencing hotter school year temperatures that are overheating classrooms and forcing closures, especially in old buildings without enough electrical capacity to run air conditioners. And Southern districts with aging cooling systems outmatched by abnormally hot weather.
As the OP noted, nobody argues that an extra 7 billion people on Earth do not have some effect on local environments. Cities are MUCH larger than they were at the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, there are infinitely more square miles of buildings, parking lots, pavement, concrete surfaces, etc. replacing bare ground, grass, trees, other vegetation that once kept things cooler on a hot summer day.

Nevertheless, according to Weather.Gov, the average global temperature in 1875 was 52.5 degrees F.

The average global temperature in 2023 was 55.6 degrees F or 3.1 degrees higher than 1875.

The average global temperature overall at this time is 52.2 or slightly less than the average for 1875. We are looking at really minor fluctuations from year to year for the last 150 years.

So even if the Earth is still in a warming period, and it most likely is, it is not an existential threat to life on Planet Earth as we know it and we are likely to be handling it very well by the end of this Century and beyond.

The OP is correct that we should be finding ways to adapt to a massive increase in our species and promoting economic growth and opportunity for all instead of trying to move the needle back to the pre-industrial age. That won't happen. And we will do far more harm trying than just accepting that things could be slightly warmer in year 2200.

Prices of orange juice concentrate reached a new high of $4.95 (£3.88) a lb on futures markets this week after growers in the main orange producing areas of Brazil said they were expecting the harvest to be 24% down on last year at 232m 40.8kg boxes – worse than the 15% fall previously predicted.

Orange trees in Brazil have been suffering from citrus greening, an incurable disease, after extreme heat stress and drought during their key flowering period in the latter part of last year fuelled by the climate crisis.

The predicted poor crop in Brazil, which accounts for 70% of all orange juice exports, marks the third difficult global harvest in a row. As well as problems in Brazil, Florida in the US has been hit by a series of hurricanes and the greening disease, which is spread by sap-sucking insects and turns the fruit bitter before killing the tree.

The series of poor harvests has limited manufacturers’ ability to ride out the current difficulties by mixing the new crop with frozen juice – which normally has a two-year lifespan.

“This is a crisis,” Kees Cools, the president of the International Fruit and Vegetable Juice Association (IFU) told the Financial Times. “We’ve never seen anything like it, even during the big freezes and big hurricanes.”

But all the wind farms, all the solar panels, all the EVs, all the energy saving appliances, all the efforts to promote and require green energy all over the world has not reduced CO2 in the atmosphere by a single particle nor is there any evidence it has changed the temperature/weather in any place, much less the whole planet. And we are on track to add another 3 billion people to the planet by the year 2100.

If the local community wants air conditioning in their schools they will make sure it is installed. $50 billion divided by 74 million U.S. school children = roughly $67 per child. Not a crippling figure.

The mega trillions required to convert the world to all green energy by 2100 is neither attainable nor sustainable nor necessary and we will impoverish billions by trying to attain it.

But all the wind farms, all the solar panels, all the EVs, all the energy saving appliances, all the efforts to promote and require green energy all over the world has not reduced CO2 in the atmosphere by a single particle nor is there any evidence it has changed the temperature/weather in any place, much less the whole planet. And we are on track to add another 3 billion people to the planet by the year 2100.

If the local community wants air conditioning in their schools they will make sure it is installed. $50 billion divided by 74 million U.S. school children = roughly $67 per child. Not a crippling figure.

The mega trillions required to convert the world to all green energy by 2100 is neither attainable nor sustainable nor necessary and we will impoverish billions by trying to attain it.
Absolutely correct as usual. What about the rest of the world. Doing this as proposed by the alarmists might kill off millions in Africa or in South America since they lack funds to pay for changes.

Absolutely correct as usual. What about the rest of the world. Doing this as proposed by the alarmists might kill off millions in Africa or in South America since they lack funds to pay for changes.

The rest of the world wants us to pay for climate change policies and programs, all of which are very expensive and all of which will not make an appreciable difference. The entire climate change issue is not an existential threat, it's about a lot of money and power to enrich certain people at the expense of others (taxpayers).

But all the wind farms, all the solar panels, all the EVs, all the energy saving appliances, all the efforts to promote and require green energy all over the world has not reduced CO2 in the atmosphere by a single particle
It HAS reduced the rate at which we are putting it into the atmosphere. You have been shown the data on that.
nor is there any evidence it has changed the temperature/weather in any place, much less the whole planet.
CO2 is a well-mixed gas. It's effects in either direction will not be localized. There is an ENORMOUS amount of evidence that it has changed the temperature of the planet UPWARDS. AS the rate at which our emissions were increasing has come down, so has the rate at which temperature has been increasing. But, they are both still increasing. We need to do more.
And we are on track to add another 3 billion people to the planet by the year 2100.
What's the matter? Don't you appreciate a challenge. And don't forget we are planning on giving every human on the planet a lifestyle equivalent to a middle-class American.
Where did you get $50 billion and what is it supposed to pay for?
Resolving global warming by addressing its causes will cost significantly less than ignoring it and dealing piecemeal with the issues it creates. If you don't want to impoverish billions, you should be advocating that we deal with this problem as quickly as possible.

It HAS reduced the rate at which we are putting it into the atmosphere. You have been shown the data on that.

CO2 is a well-mixed gas. It's effects in either direction will not be localized. There is an ENORMOUS amount of evidence that it has changed the temperature of the planet UPWARDS. AS the rate at which our emissions were increasing has come down, so has the rate at which temperature has been increasing. But, they are both still increasing. We need to do more.

Resolving global warming by addressing its causes will cost significantly less than ignoring it and dealing piecemeal with the issues it creates. If you don't want to impoverish billions, you should be advocating that we deal with this problem as quickly as possible
You give the appearance of a person who means well, but factually you scare the hell out of good decent Americans with your doom and gloom predictions of hell on Earth.

And thousands of scientists do not agree with your claims of doom.

We can think of the amount of gas like pennies on a table.
The table has a million pennies, the Pennies are 420. So few pennies for you to fuss about compared to a million pennies.

You give the appearance of a person who means well, but factually you scare the hell out of good decent Americans with your doom and gloom predictions of hell on Earth.
I bet the guy who stops you from stepping in front of a bus scares you. Or your wife warning you that someone's pulling out in front of you. Do you think they shouldn't have said what they said to you because it scared you? I'm trying to convince people that something bad is happening and it requires that we take some action; that we make some different choices.

Do I scare you enough for you to take some action? Would you try to get cars with the best possible mileage? Could you ride a bike when you can? Would you be willing to conserve energy at home and at work (though I suspect you're retired)?
And thousands of scientists do not agree with your claims of doom.
Yes, they do. I get my ideas from the work of thousands of scientists from all over the world. There are a few scientists that reject AGW, but they are less than 1% of the total number of scientists. Science treats the greenhouse effect as an established fact. The greenhouse gases in the Earth's atmopshere are responsible for 59 Fahrenheit degrees of waming. You don't think a 50% increase in the second most effective GHG might have a discernible effect?
We can think of the amount of gas like pennies on a table.
Gas? Gasoline? It's called CO2 Robert.
The table has a million pennies, the Pennies are 420. So few pennies for you to fuss about compared to a million pennies.
In 1850 there were only 280 Pennies. They've increased by 50%. So, whatever effect they produce will have increased as well. There are lots of compounds that will kill you with a tiny fraction of the current level of CO2. There's more than enough there for all the plants and phytoplankton on the entire planet to thrive. Robert, you don't seem to bring a lot of science knowledge to the table here. Trying to show me that 420 ppm is a small fraction serves no point other than to demonstrate your technical shortcomings. I'm a degreed engineer. I know what ppm stands for. I also know physics, chemistry and thermodynamics. You, apparently, do not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back