What percent of workers hate their jobs?

Probably a good relation vs people who go to church on Sundays.

I've heard 70 but can't confirm.
I would have figured much lower. I simply did not keep jobs I didn't like, nor did I apply for many, I didn't think I would like.

I hated my job, but it was not the fault of my employer, I was never a good fit for the structured, laboratory environment and I was not a good fit for the military, either, but those were some of the most fun years of my life, while my employer treated me fairly and paid me a fair wage. I am still grateful for that job.

There is no real black and white answer, it can be a nuanced answer that makes you hate some aspects, and love others.

I'd be curious to know the sample of people who hate their jobs, that went to college and:
  • Acquired a job that didn't require a degree OR
  • Acquired a job that doesn't provide the value proposition a degree should (i.e. Major in Diversity Studies) OR
  • Acquired a job that will not provide sustainable income to pay off their massive student loan

50 ? 60? 70? 80? Anybody know?
A boss of mine many moons ago said in a managers meeting, "Life is too short, if you don't enjoy what you're doing, resign, quit, go and do what you enjoy".

Fast forward a number of the years, the company I worked for was sold to new bosses. The change was unreal, so I took that advice, I quit. I went self employed and retrained from management to construction. I learnt every trade and been self employed 20 years now. My management experience helps on larger projects when I need subcontractors.

50 ? 60? 70? 80? Anybody know?

Good topic....

According to Pew, 51% are "highly satisfied" with their job. That number is higher than I expected.

Some other highlights...

• About four-in-ten workers (39%) say their job or career is extremely or very important to their overall identity. Roughly a third (34%) say it is somewhat important and 27% say it’s not too or not at all important. Workers with a postgraduate degree are the most likely to see their job or career as central to their overall identity – 53% say it is.
This is lower than I thought it would be in the US. But it is a good sign in my opinion.

Most workers place a high priority on paid time off. About six-in-ten workers (62%) say it’s extremely important to them personally to have a job that offers paid time off for vacations, routine doctor’s visits or to deal with minor illnesses,

Nearly half of workers who have paid time off say they typically take less time off than their employer offers.

This is sad to see, but I do wonder if this time not taken roll over to the following year.

Personally I am fine with my job, it is a bit boring and if I was doing it knowing I had to do it for 25 or 30 more years I am pretty sure I would be looking elsewhere. But I only have 5 years left and the pay is excellent and remote work 80% or so of the time makes it well worth it.

Sometimes your sole motivation to work is the paycheck

Not everyone gets to be what they dreamt of as kids. The world can’t support that many firemen and ballerinas.

Work is a means to an end, nothing more.

Even people that love their job would for the most part not do it for free.

My wife loves being a nurse, it is a part of who she is. But she would not do it for free.
The most valued employees are those that are constantly looking for better pay.

Would you do it for free?
Unless I was Independently Wealthy, which I'm not, then NO.
I need a paying JOB to keep living.

I just happen to LOVE my paying JOB.

My response is pretty clear, right.

Unless I was Independently Wealthy, which I'm not, then NO.
I need a paying JOB to keep living.

I just happen to LOVE my paying JOB.

My response is pretty clear, right.
Then you don’t love your job, you tolerate it.

There’s a difference.

Forum List

Back