Should we take cell phones out of school? Is it even possible anymore?

I am conflicted with this one. I understand the teacher's point of view that the cell phone is competition for the teacher....but I also understand tha parent's point of view that a cell phone represents a measure of safety in today's public education setting.

My Grandson has his entire curriculum on his I-phone and manages to do his homework and research sometimes all from his palm while at the same time learning Spanish. If anything I would say his handwriting skills probably suffer because of it but then again....how relevant is handwriting anymore?

I think the real question now is whether or not it is even possible to do this thing. I'm thinking the time has past for it .

JO

Depends what someone things the point of education is. If it's to create well balanced adults who are able to gain skills needed for the future, then get rid of the phones in schools.

If it's to create zombies... then keep the phones.

nope, you are speaking of students..aka kids. So, tell me when it was legalized for them
Do you think it has gotten easier or more difficult for kids to get their hands on it since it has been legalized? They know where dad keeps his weed at home, and they have a friend of a friend who is "legally" old enough to buy. Hell, there is a pot shop literally around the corner from my school.

Do you think it has gotten easier or more difficult for kids to get their hands on it since it has been legalized? They know where dad keeps his weed at home, and they have a friend of a friend who is "legally" old enough to buy. Hell, there is a pot shop literally around the corner from my school.

I cannot imagine it being any easier than it was in the early 80s when I was in high school.

I am conflicted with this one. I understand the teacher's point of view that the cell phone is competition for the teacher....but I also understand tha parent's point of view that a cell phone represents a measure of safety in today's public education setting.

My Grandson has his entire curriculum on his I-phone and manages to do his homework and research sometimes all from his palm while at the same time learning Spanish. If anything I would say his handwriting skills probably suffer because of it but then again....how relevant is handwriting anymore?

I think the real question now is whether or not it is even possible to do this thing. I'm thinking the time has past for it .

JO
With all the school shootings, it's not possible to get cellphones out of schools. Parents won't allow that to happen.

JO
of course it's possible.

Some of y'all sound like the students whining as if they can't live without their precious cell phones. As I frequently remind them, life went on before the little electronic pains in the ass came along. If family really needs to be contacted, students can go to the main office where they will be assisted in placing a call. If a student has a physical condition, he or she can go to the nurse as often as necessary to receive any required treatments or medications. Nobody NEEDS to text their girlfriend, listen to music all day, or take pointless selfies and the like.

JO

I have yet to speak with a parent who insists that little Johnny MUST have a cell phone on his person 24/7. EVERY parent I have spoken to about the matter recognizes that the fucking devices are a menace to education.

Forum List

Back