Should we take cell phones out of school? Is it even possible anymore?

justoffal

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2013
I am conflicted with this one. I understand the teacher's point of view that the cell phone is competition for the teacher....but I also understand tha parent's point of view that a cell phone represents a measure of safety in today's public education setting.

My Grandson has his entire curriculum on his I-phone and manages to do his homework and research sometimes all from his palm while at the same time learning Spanish. If anything I would say his handwriting skills probably suffer because of it but then again....how relevant is handwriting anymore?

I think the real question now is whether or not it is even possible to do this thing. I'm thinking the time has past for it .

JO

Yes we should, and yes it would be possible

But whiny parents would bitch and moan about how they can’t be in constant contact with their kids

Funny how my entire childhood, there was never once an event so important that my
Mom had to call the school to get a hold of me or even leave a message. It could always wait

What the fuck is going on in peoples’ lives today that they need to be able to contact their kids at school? Seriously, I’d like to know

I am conflicted with this one. I understand the teacher's point of view that the cell phone is competition for the teacher....but I also understand tha parent's point of view that a cell phone represents a measure of safety in today's public education setting.

My Grandson has his entire curriculum on his I-phone and manages to do his homework and research sometimes all from his palm while at the same time learning Spanish. If anything I would say his handwriting skills probably suffer because of it but then again....how relevant is handwriting anymore?

I think the real question now is whether or not it is even possible to do this thing. I'm thinking the time has past for it .

JO
the cell phone also contains their calculator, voice recorder, and connection to "dating" sites so vital to today's students.

but I also understand tha parent's point of view that a cell phone represents a measure of safety in today's public education setting.
I cannot think of a single unsafe situation I was in as a kid that a cell phone would have been necessary for

If anything, kids today need to be forced to spend a chunk of their lives without phones in order to build up their non-existent problem solving skills

There are certain schools where a teacher would be putting his/her life at risk if s/he tried to tell a student to turn off his/her phone, let alone try to confiscate it.

NOTE TO ENGLISH LEARNERS: I am very old, so I used "his/her" and "s/he." Nowadays in the (United) States, almost everyone would use "their" and "they" even when referring to one person.

There are certain schools where a teacher would be putting his/her life at risk if s/he tried to tell a student to turn off his/her phone, let alone try to confiscate it.

NOTE TO ENGLISH LEARNERS: I am very old, so I used "his/her" and "s/he." Nowadays in the (United) States, almost everyone would use "their" and "they" even when referring to one person.
Geez....it's true

I can envision smart phones social media losing its popularity at some point in the future.... this may be the beginning of that...

I cannot think of a single unsafe situation I was in as a kid that a cell phone would have been necessary for

If anything, kids today need to be forced to spend a chunk of their lives without phones in order to build up their non-existent problem solving skills
Just a guess....I'll bet you were a big kid.

Just a guess....I'll bet you were a big kid.
I don’t see how cellphones would’ve helped even the small kids back then

Kids don’t “need” cell phones to be safe

That’s an artificial need we created out of thin air.

A kid who’s small for his age, what good is a cell phone if he gets bullied anyway? Is he going to call his mom? 911? That will just make him look like a sissy and he will be bullied twice as much as before

I don’t see how cellphones would’ve helped even the small kids back then

Kids don’t “need” cell phones to be safe

That’s an artificial need we created out of thin air.

A kid who’s small for his age, what good is a cell phone if he gets bullied anyway? Is he going to call his mom? 911? That will just make him look like a sissy and he will be bullied twice as much as before
Good point.....but I do know of some instances where the phone made the difference....not just against bullies but also some twisted teachers.

Good point.....but I do know of some instances where the phone made the difference....not just against bullies but also some twisted teachers.
Im not saying this never happens, obviously it does. But the idea that kids (or anyone) need to have a phone on them at all times in case they’re attacked or something just seems paranoid to me. The world isn’t as dangerous as some make it out to be

I don’t think the protests are really about safety at all. It’s about convenience and about parents who have a weird obsession with knowing where their kids are and what they’re doing at all times

It’s just not necessary

we can make all the rules we want. Phones aren't going away and if they appear to, their functionality in terms of communication is adopted by a host of other devices. Until we ban all outside tech and demand students use only what we issue, so we can control content and use, we will have students using available technology for the wrong reasons. But even if we do, students will doodle, do their math homework or pass notes, and we aren't planning on banning pens and paper also, are we?

we can make all the rules we want. Phones aren't going away and if they appear to, their functionality in terms of communication is adopted by a host of other devices. Until we ban all outside tech and demand students use only what we issue, so we can control content and use, we will have students using available technology for the wrong reasons. But even if we do, students will doodle, do their math homework or pass notes, and we aren't planning on banning pens and paper also, are we?

At our local high school students have the option of all their books being digital and viewing them on their tablet/laptop. So both of those are now present in every classroom and there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tub

JO

Cell phones are not "necessary" for safety. People existed long before that technological blight ever came upon us.

At our local high school students have the option of all their books being digital and viewing them on their tablet/laptop. So both of those are now present in every classroom and there is no putting the toothpaste back in the tub

benstiller-dodgeball.gif

Forum List

Back