Jan. 6th, The Law, and Nancy Pelosi's Dereliction of Duty

The Sergeant at Arms is the Capitol Police Board, so yes, he does consult with himself and the other 2 members, I say other two members, because the Capitol Police Chief is subordinate to all three.

The Sergeant of Arms reports to the Speaker of the House

On administrative and ceremonial matters, it's not a command authority over day to day operations of the CP

Congress has oversight, only. Not command authority over the CP, that is for the Prez and the Secy of Defense (specifically the Secy of the Army).

Not just CP, but JUDICIARY and EXEC Branch.

Taht is OVERSIGHT. Oversight is not 'command authority'.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE?

Congress has the same over all branches of government, but NO COMMAND LINE AUTHORITY.
Command line authority over the Exec branch? NO

Command line authority over the Judiciary? NO
Command line authority over anything? NO.

Congress has oversight over all branches of government, including the executive and judicial branches. This oversight includes reviewing executive actions, confirming presidential appointments, investigating matters of public concern, and conducting hearings on various issues.

1. Executive Branch:
    • Departments: Departments like the Department of State, Department of Defense, Department of Treasury, Department of Justice, Department of Homeland Security, etc.
    • Cabinets: The President's Cabinet includes heads of executive departments and other key officials chosen by the President.
    • Agencies: Numerous agencies such as the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), etc.
  2. Legislative Branch:
    • Congress: Consists of two houses, the Senate and the House of Representatives.
    • Areas of Legislative Oversight: Congress has the authority to legislate on a wide range of issues including taxation, national defense, interstate commerce, immigration, healthcare, etc.
  3. Judicial Branch:
    • Supreme Court: The highest court in the United States, with lower federal courts beneath it.
    • Federal Courts: Including circuit courts of appeals, district courts, and specialized courts like the Tax Court and Court of Federal Claims.

Command line authority over the Exec branch? NO
Command line authority over the Judiciary? NO
Command line authority over anything? NO.

It is a legislative/investigative body for the purpose of lawmaking.

THAt's it. They are NO ONE"S BOSS in their day to day operations.

Do you got that? Did you fail poly sci or what?
No law, rule, precedent, or practice uses the term Command Authority or Command Line Authority, you are over your head.

You brought up, Command Line Authority, no such term. I pointed that out.

Try making one point, and we can see who fails what, go ahead, one point. Which point do you want to discuss, now that you have shown you have no idea what you are talking about, with this post of yours contradicting the last.

This statement is convoluted and written poorly. What role does the Speaker have during an emergency, being the person literally in charge of the House of Representatives, and where they meet? The Speaker's authority does not become subservient to the Capitol Police.

We do know what does control security operations. It is the law that the Speaker and the House of Representatives write! It is implemented by the people the Speaker of the House appoints/elects and gives the oath of office to.

The Speaker, can not do everything, but the Speaker has direct control through the person representing her on the Capitol Police board, that is the Sergeant at Arms. Reporting directly to the Speaker, in an Emergency.

Control of all things starts with the leader.
You appear to be misinformed about the Speaker’s role and authority over Capitol security operations. Let’s clarify this directly: the Speaker of the House, while being a key figure in legislative leadership, does not command the Capitol Police or directly oversee the security operations at the Capitol. This is not a matter of opinion but of understanding how authority and governance are structured around Capitol security.

The Capitol Police are overseen by the Capitol Police Board, which indeed includes the House Sergeant at Arms. However, the Sergeant at Arms does not serve as the Speaker's personal representative nor acts under her direct command. The Sergeant at Arms, like his counterparts in the Senate and the Architect of the Capitol who together comprise the board, operates within a structure designed to maintain a separation from direct political influence, including that of the Speaker.

Furthermore, while laws governing security operations are indeed crafted by Congress, the implementation and operational command are distinct from legislative functions (got that?). The Speaker's role in legislative activities does not equate to operational control during emergencies or otherwise.

Your assertion that the Speaker has direct control through the Sergeant at Arms in an emergency conflates administrative oversight with operational command, a misunderstanding that leads to misplacing blame and responsibilities. This distinction is crucial and is designed to prevent the exact kind of political overreach you are implying. Therefore, it is inaccurate and misleading to claim that the Speaker has direct control over the Capitol Police or the security measures in place on January 6th.

No law, rule, precedent, or practice uses the term Command Authority or Command Line Authority, you are over your head.

You brought up, Command Line Authority, no such term. I pointed that out.

Try making one point, and we can see who fails what, go ahead, one point. Which point do you want to discuss, now that you have shown you have no idea what you are talking about, with this post of yours contradicting the last.

You are pretending that the Speaker is the head of CP, choose what ever verbiage you want. It doesn't matter. She is not the boss of the CP.

Day to day ops, are controlled by a Standard Operating Procedure. Of course, we are speaking of something outside of day to day ops.
Day to day ops are all days, including 1/6, which is a day. During Emergencies, command direction does not transfer to her. The command line is the President and the Secy of Defence, usually the Secy of the Army, who coordinate.

Sergeant at Arms Reports directly to Nancy Pelosi. Pelosi can fire 3 or 4 of these appointees at any time. Of course the pecking order includes the Speaker of the House at the top.
You appear to be misinformed about the Speaker’s role and authority over Capitol security operations. Let’s clarify this directly: the Speaker of the House, while being a key figure in legislative leadership, does not command the Capitol Police or directly oversee the security operations at the Capitol. This is not a matter of opinion but of understanding how authority and governance are structured around Capitol security.

The Capitol Police are overseen by the Capitol Police Board, which indeed includes the House Sergeant at Arms. However, the Sergeant at Arms does not serve as the Speaker's personal representative nor acts under her direct command. The Sergeant at Arms, like his counterparts in the Senate and the Architect of the Capitol who together comprise the board, operates within a structure designed to maintain a separation from direct political influence, including that of the Speaker.

Furthermore, while laws governing security operations are indeed crafted by Congress, the implementation and operational command are distinct from legislative functions. The Speaker's role in legislative activities does not equate to operational control during emergencies or otherwise.

Your assertion that the Speaker has direct control through the Sergeant at Arms in an emergency conflates administrative oversight with operational command, a misunderstanding that leads to misplacing blame and responsibilities. This distinction is crucial and is designed to prevent the exact kind of political overreach you are implying. Therefore, it is inaccurate and misleading to claim that the Speaker has direct control over the Capitol Police or the security measures in place on January 6th.

Pelosi is the authority governing Capitol Security. Through the election of personal, appointments, laws, rules, precedents. In every possible way, in every legal way, as written.

Pelosi at any time can pick up the phone and call Trump.

Furthermore, while laws governing security operations are indeed crafted by Congress, the implementation and operational command are distinct from legislative functions. The Speaker's role in legislative activities does not equate to operational control during emergencies or otherwise.

Furthermore, while laws governing security operations are indeed crafted by Congress, the implementation and operational command are distinct from legislative functions (got that?). The Speaker's role in legislative activities does not equate to operational control during emergencies or otherwise.

It is not my assertion,
I have the Law, linked and quoted.
I have the House Rules, linked and quoted
I have the House General Practices, linked and quoted
I have the Precedents, linked and quoted

You have your opinion, unlinked, unquoted, unhinged.

Feel free to support your opinion, using all 4 of the above sources. Use all four because together is how they are used.

Day to day ops are all days, including 1/6, which is a day. During Emergencies, command direction does not transfer to her. The command line is the President and the Secy of Defence, usually the Secy of the Army, who coordinate.
How did you figure that out. I ask because you can not quote and link to the .gov websites to come up with that.

Posting the facts is not flailing.
My buddies have all supported my thread and my posts with appropriate, thanks.
My reaction score of 11,000 is proof enough

Yeah, and Hitler got 13 million voters, your point is what?

Pelosi is not the director of the CP. You are misinformed.

It is not my assertion,

Feel free to support your opinion, using all 4 of the above sources. Use all four because together is how they are used.

I can't hellp if you do not understand CP operation and command authority.

I can't help it if you cannot interpret the law the rules correctly.

There is no testimony or credible evidence to support the claim that the Speaker of the House directly controls or directs the Capitol Police. The Capitol Police are overseen by the Capitol Police Board, which includes the House Sergeant at Arms, the Senate Sergeant at Arms, and the Architect of the Capitol. The Speaker of the House, while holding a significant leadership role within the House of Representatives, does not have operational command over the Capitol Police. This structure is intended to maintain a degree of separation between legislative functions and security operations.

In short, I can't help it of your guy Trump is a criminal, and you are scouring the landscape out of desperation in order to feel better about your choice for president.

I get it.But I don't cotton.Yer being enamored with potty-mouth
excuses and filthy accusations as if some saving grace.
Maybe in some hellhole of a jail like in Cook County { Chicago }
you somehow pass muster.Like in the early scenes of
- The Green Mile - and/or - The Shawshank Redemption -.
Or most jailbird flicks.
But yer makin' as ass of yerself.Did or does your Mommy and Daddy
think well of your constant cussing-out.It got boring
long ago.
I found the things you were saying are pretty profane as well.

This is a precedent. Precedents are facts, not false.

Quote text, don't give screen shots, that we we can verify the context of your source
There it is, the National Guard must be requested by Nancy Pelosi. Yes, people can argue this states Capitol Police, and I can cite the precedents and codes that the Capitol Police are governed by showing that during emergencies the Capitol Police are in direct communication with the Speaker of the House

To continue from my OP link, the request must be written, even in an emergency
The text you've cited from §1970 clearly indicates that the responsibility for requesting assistance from executive departments and agencies, including potentially the National Guard, lies with the Capitol Police Board, not the Speaker of the House directly. This board is composed of the House Sergeant at Arms, the Senate Sergeant at Arms, and the Architect of the Capitol. It's important to understand that while the Speaker of the House appoints the House Sergeant at Arms, this does not equate to the Speaker having direct operational control over the security forces or the National Guard during emergencies.

Moreover, the reference to "paragraph (4)" might involve specific conditions under which such assistance can be requested or provided, but it doesn’t imply that the Speaker has the authority to independently call in the National Guard. The Capitol Police Board acts as a collective body, and its decisions do not hinge solely on the directives of the Speaker.

The misunderstanding here seems to stem from conflating the Speaker's high-ranking position and influence in legislative matters with command over security operations, which are distinctly managed to ensure a separation of powers and to prevent undue political influence over security decisions. The Speaker's role is primarily legislative, not executive, which means operational decisions concerning security and emergency responses at the Capitol fall outside of her direct purview.

Yes, a recap is nice.
National Guard troops, the Jan. 6th committee disagrees with you
Who can "make that happen", only the Speaker of the House,
How many DC National Guard? Trump is the Commander of all Armed Forces, The President of the United States of America could activate and station any National Guard member from anywhere in the world.

There was no insurrection or riot. There was a miracle, that being the largest crowd in the history of Washington DC assembled without killing anyone. Much much smaller crowds have in the past trampled dozens to death.

The DCNG falls under the executive branch and reports directly to the president. Being a member of the Legislative branch, the Speaker of the House has no authority to mobilize them. You're out of your mind. :cuckoo:

Yes, a recap is nice.
National Guard troops, the Jan. 6th committee disagrees with you
Who can "make that happen", only the Speaker of the House,
How many DC National Guard? Trump is the Commander of all Armed Forces, The President of the United States of America could activate and station any National Guard member from anywhere in the world.

There was no insurrection or riot. There was a miracle, that being the largest crowd in the history of Washington DC assembled without killing anyone. Much much smaller crowds have in the past trampled dozens to death.

Why do you keep denying anyone was killed by that mob?

Why do you keep denying anyone was killed by that mob?
Nobody died on the Capitol grounds by the peaceful protestors.

I can't hellp if you do not understand CP operation and command authority.

I can't help it if you cannot interpret the law the rules correctly.

There is no testimony or credible evidence to support the claim that the Speaker of the House directly controls or directs the Capitol Police. The Capitol Police are overseen by the Capitol Police Board, which includes the House Sergeant at Arms, the Senate Sergeant at Arms, and the Architect of the Capitol. The Speaker of the House, while holding a significant leadership role within the House of Representatives, does not have operational command over the Capitol Police. This structure is intended to maintain a degree of separation between legislative functions and security operations.

In short, I can't help it of your guy Trump is a criminal, and you are scouring the landscape out of desperation in order to feel better about your choice for president.
In short, you can not offer one link, quote, law, precedent, house rule, house practice, or office description that supports your ill-thought-out response to my excellent research that is linked and quoted directly from the government's websites.

Sorry, I did not mean to scare you away with the facts.

It is not my assertion,

You have not posted any law or rule showing g the Speaker of the House is in charge of Capitol security. It's nonsensical from the start given the Senate has a Sergeant-at-Arms on the board as wwll.

Forum List

Back