Advice needed on what to do with 1/4 of a cow

I get a 1/4 Angus steer every year. Just have a meat processor cut/and wrap it for you. It's a small fee that's attached.
You'll have plenty of steaks/roasts/and burger.
Only way to go IMO when it comes to buying beef.

It is being cut and wrapped for us. I get some input on the cuts, which is why I was asking. I do not want to sound like a total idiot on the phone with the processor!

Plus it is nice to have a discussion on something we can all agree on....BEEF!

Processing fees are ridiculous these days. They're getting over $150 just to process a deer through deer season.

Find some Amish, they'll do it cheaper.

Doesn't game require separate butchering tools/machines?

Maybe that's why game is more expensive?

The place that butchers most of the deer in town is a regular meat market. They also process cows or pigs.

But the price of processing a deer includes wrapping and making deer sausage. They do so many deer during the season that they have a huge dumpster out back, full of deer bones and skins.

... I do not want to sound like a total idiot on the phone with the processor! ...

You're going to sound inexperienced whether you like it or not ... if the processor wants your business, they will HAPPILY walk you through ... very good chance you will be pleased with the quality of beef you're getting, and that will reflect well on the processor ... you will return, so expect smiles and laughs from him/her/it/shmit/hese/bike/moonbasefour ... 7 genders now? ...

I grew up in a family that got 1/2 a cow every year, from a family member who raised them.

The meat will come pre-packaged by the different types of cut… ground beef, stew meat, sirloin, etc… you probably want to talk to your wife’s co-worker about the more unusual cuts… tongue, liver, brain, etc… and see if you can trade that off for other cuts you prefer.

I get a 1/4 Angus steer every year. Just have a meat processor cut/and wrap it for you. It's a small fee that's attached.
You'll have plenty of steaks/roasts/and burger.
Only way to go IMO when it comes to buying beef.
True that....Thing was we ate mostly deer instead of beef. We had a whole processing set-up at my dad's place.

Meat band saw, butcher grade meat grinder, casing stuffer, stainless steel butchering table.....The works other than a walk-in chiller. My granddad had a smoke house.

Large mammals are all roughly the same body layout ... if a butcher can do cows and pigs, they shpu;d be able to do deer, elk, horse or humans just as well ...

My understanding is that "game" cannot be sold ... there's no commercial harvesting operations of wild deer or wild elk in our State ... the meat in the markets is farm-raised and made available for FDA inspections ...

If we cooked chuckers in the broaster at the tavern, we would have to change the oil completely before we used that machine for any commercial food preparation ... and we didn't charge for the broasting ... the chucker hunters drank plenty of beer to cover the expense, far and away they'd cover the expense ha ha ha ha ha ... [ka'ching] ... nothing more fun than dealing with drunks with shotguns ...

I used to do this for a living.
In a retail market deer are processed at the end of the day. Then all equipment is sanitized. If kept chilled, they must not hang in the same cooler with meat being sold for retail.

Deer usually are brought in with the hide on, so skinning is part of the cost. Also, often the animal is shot to hell with huge areas of 'bloodshot' meat that has to be worked around. Sometimes the meat is smelly as well due to warm weather, etc. Also, the hard, sharp bones make it difficult to cut on a bandsaw, so boning is the best option, which also raises the cost. Sausage is another increase in cost as pork is usually added to the venison. Hint: Meat from several or many deer is combined to make sausage. If you want your own meat back, freeze it and have it done well away from the hunting/processing season.

I used to do this for a living.
In a retail market deer are processed at the end of the day. Then all equipment is sanitized. If kept chilled, they must not hang in the same cooler with meat being sold for retail.

Deer usually are brought in with the hide on, so skinning is part of the cost. Also, often the animal is shot to hell with huge areas of 'bloodshot' meat that has to be worked around. Sometimes the meat is smelly as well due to warm weather, etc. Also, the hard, sharp bones make it difficult to cut on a bandsaw, so boning is the best option, which also raises the cost. Sausage is another increase in cost as pork is usually added to the venison. Hint: Meat from several or many deer is combined to make sausage. If you want your own meat back, freeze it and have it done well away from the hunting/processing season.

Wow, this deserves a live "Thank you" as well as the informative emoji, lol.

Sounds like you'd be buying similar to a 'meat pack' from a butcher shop......which means you have to pay for the beef as well as cut & wrap, though the price should include all that. Average 1/4 side of beef is around 130-ish pounds of edible meat cuts and most butchers or processors will limit how many t-bones, ribs or other prime cuts you can have. So figure roughly 1/3 each of different types of steaks (including the tougher choices, like round or chuck, etc), roasts and burger. If you want, you can ask for the bones, organ meats, etc.....BUT if you do, make sure it's not counted in the 1/4 pack, but bought separately.

So, I have never bought beef in bulk like this, but a co-worker of my wife gets a 1/2 a cow each year and this year the person buying one of the other 1/4s had moved so they cannot. So we are going to do it.

Anyone here ever do this? How do you get it sliced? What cuts are the best way to go?
This is the video I used.

Breaking down half a cow.

So, I have never bought beef in bulk like this, but a co-worker of my wife gets a 1/2 a cow each year and this year the person buying one of the other 1/4s had moved so they cannot. So we are going to do it.

Anyone here ever do this? How do you get it sliced? What cuts are the best way to go?
I don't know your financial situation but if price is no object, just take it to your local butcher shop and have it cut down, packaged, and ready for the freezer. But it can be expensive so you might want to shop around for the best deal.

An honest and competent butcher will know how to break it down into roasts, steaks, hamburger and other cuts depending on what quarter of the beef you bought. With a side you get beef ribs, short ribs, brisket, etc. in addition to the usual steaks, roast, hamburger, but anyway the butcher will know what to do.

Forum List

Back