Yellen rules out bailout for Silicon Valley Bank: "not going to do that again"/Greg Becker, SVB CEO, sold $3.5 million in stock 2weeks before collapse

basquebromance

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2015
they're not gonna bail out the UK arm of SVB either. you're on your own. NO MORE BAILOUTS!

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Sunday that the federal government would not bail out Silicon Valley Bank, but is working to help depositors who are concerned about their money.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation insures deposits up to $250,000, but many of the companies and wealthy people who used the bank — known for its relationships with technology startups and venture capital — had more than that amount in their account. There are fears that some workers across the country won't receive their paychecks.

Yellen, in an interview with CBS' “Face the Nation,” provided few details on the government's next steps. But she emphasized that the situation was much different from the financial crisis almost 15 years ago, which led to bank bailouts to protect the industry.

“We’re not going to do that again," she said. "But we are concerned about depositors, and we’re focused on trying to meet their needs.”

they're not gonna bail out the UK arm of SVB either. you're on your own. NO MORE BAILOUTS!

I can't agree --- I don't know where you are getting your info, but the Wall Street Journal says the UK IS looking into taking over the British bank of SVB to avoid contagion, to which their financial system is particularly prone lately (that was why they lost a prime minister after only a month in office last year).

AND there is as of 10 AM in the WSJ report, talk of making all SVB depositor whole no matter how much was in their accounts. 90% of the money in that bank was uninsured because the amounts were so large. Companies cannot plausibly go to dozens of banks if they have millions to store, after all! They have to trust the banking system, or else the system goes down. They did just this in 1991 when New England bank failed, made everyone whole never mind that quarter-million FDIC limit.

I'd be okay with that. . . anyone else?

WILMINGTON, Del. (AP) — Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Sunday that the federal government would not bail out Silicon Valley Bank, but is working to help depositors who are concerned about their money.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation insures deposits up to $250,000, but many of the companies and wealthy people who used the bank — known for its relationships with technology startups and venture capital — had more than that amount in their account. There are fears that some workers across the country won't receive their paychecks.

Yellen, in an interview with CBS' “Face the Nation,” provided few details on the government's next steps. But she emphasized that the situation was much different from the financial crisis almost 15 years ago, which led to bank bailouts to protect the industry.

“We’re not going to do that again," she said. "But we are concerned about depositors, and we’re focused on trying to meet their needs.”

Restated......."Janet Yellen doesn't say much".

Well, replacing monies over the quarter-million FDIC limit WOULD, obviously, be a bail-out!

And so Yellen would have egg on her face. My guess is they won't do it unless they have good reason to fear contagion, meaning quickly spreading bank runs. I am going to enjoy Monday, I think. Lots of excitement.

I saw that and I hope she sticks with that BUT the problem is, she is responsible for many of our problems. It's really sad how many times government will recycle those who previously failed at their jobs.

How is she responsible for this?

They probably didn't make any 'donations' to the Democratic Party, either locally or nationally.

How is she responsible for this?
Agreed, it was Powell's strong push of higher interest rates did it, is the WSJ consensus. On the other hand, you canNOT break inflation without breaking other things about the financial system. And so, here we are. Where exactly that is, we should find out starting Monday.

Forum List

Back