Yeah about those "Women only" showings....

Sometimes a law comes back and bites you on the ass....

Alamo Drafthouse: Hey, we made a mistake advertising those 'women's only' screenings of Wonder Woman - Hot Air

In the letter it sent to the city, the Alamo Drafthouse argues that advertising the shows as “women only” and “No guys allowed” was done in a “tongue-in-cheek” way. The theater claims anyone could still have purchased a ticket and entered the theater for the showing, whether man or woman. However, the Drafthouse does admit that advertising the show as “women only” was a mistake saying, “Respondents did not realize that advertising a ‘women’s only’ screening was a violation of discrimination laws.”

Considering a movie theater is an actual "Public Accommodation" this doesn't contradict my views on contracted services. However, why should a theater NOT be able to host an all women, all men, all midget or whatever movie night?
If the movie was "Fried Green Tomatoes" nobody would complain.

Because it's "Wonder Woman" a popular movie everyone would like, it just appears that this will just be a bunch of man-hating lesbos trying to hook up.
And....that makes you a victim........boo hoo.......
Pointing out hypocrisy isn't an indication of victimhood.
It's merely astute observation.

The double standard answer from you, huh. Not surprised. In other words, you're OK with discrimination as long as those being discriminated against are the ones you think deserve it?

Well, no. I said that I thought the "women only" was a bad idea.

It just wasn't malicious like 400 years of slavery and Jim Crow. It was just some theater owner thinking, "Maybe the ladies would enjoy it more without nerdy fan boys making sexist comments."

I'm not sure why Wonder Woman was ever a feminist Icon. She was created by a bondage fetishist who lived in a polyamorous relationship.

JoeB is all about getting government to do his dirty work against people he doesn't like.

Here's the thing. When someone complained, the theater owner "manned up" and said, "Yes, we did make a mistake, we apologize to anyone who was offended, and we won't do it again."

Unlike the Homophobic Baker, who decided the appropriate response to a legitimate complaint against his establishment was to publish the names and addresses of the people who complained about him on social media.

So the movie theater is a gutless SJW twat... who knew?

I could care less. It's not like they are making all showings women only. I can still go see the movie so who really cares. I don't need a safe space to be in knowing that women can watch a movie together.

Did you see the applications or did you believe what you were told because it fits your narrative?

Actually, I believe it because I see it in my own side business as a resume writer.

I've had applications turned into me where the qualifications were, for the most part, the same. On paper, either person could have done the job. One that sticks out was that it was filled out in pencil when the application clearly said "Typed or blue/black ink". According to your mindset, they were equal. According to the one doing the hiring, me, the one in pencil meant the person couldn't follow directions. Another one involved someone misspelling his own name.

These weren't applications, they were resumes... So obviously, the examples you give aren't germane to the conversation.

Let's try again.

Two resumes, EXACT same experience. EXACT same Education. Exact same qualifications.

One has a "White" name. One has a black name. The one with a white name got callbacks. The one with the black name didn't.

So essentially, even with the first hurdle, there is racism.

So the movie theater is a gutless SJW twat... who knew?

Or they didn't realize that something they thought was harmless might have been in violation of the law. When pointed out, they corrected.

now, given the wifebeater the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know he was in violation of the PA laws, once it was pointed out to him, he should have corrected and apologized. Instead, they escalated, and they lost. Don't go to a pissing contest and then complain about getting wet.

Because our country has gone insane. 30 years ago this wouldn't have even made the local paper. But in today's long, long, looooong list of offensive things and hypersensitivity thereof, common sense doesn't apply.
:clap:

I think we've actually moved beyond hypersensitivity to actually actively looking for excuses to be "offended", whatever that means.

There are people who are simply desperate to put others on the defensive, and I'd love to know the psychology behind that.

I think we've actually moved beyond hypersensitivity to actually actively looking for excuses to be "offended", whatever that means.

There are people who are simply desperate to put others on the defensive, and I'd love to know the psychology behind that.

Not wanting to be abused by assholes... I'm surprised you don't understand that, I suspect you get that a lot.

Not wanting to be abused by assholes... I'm surprised you don't understand that, I suspect you get that a lot.

I think you have the reason wrong. Having a women only showing would not be to keep men out because they might exhibit loutish behavior. Watching a movie like WW with other women is empowering and I think that's the atmosphere they were trying to create.

The intent was never to keep men out for some malicious or discriminatory reason.

And again, Joe shows that peculiarity of wanting to put people on the defensive.
It is very interesting to see progressives, in the name of tolerance, be the most intolerant.
It is also interesting to see how they react to those that disagree with them, I don't think they know how to handle it.

And again, Joe shows that peculiarity of wanting to put people on the defensive.
It is very interesting to see progressives, in the name of tolerance, be the most intolerant.
It is also interesting to see how they react to those that disagree with them, I don't think they know how to handle it.

Naw, I just get a little bored with Pompous Mac telling us that the PC Police are hiding under his bed.

That you guys are going hysterical over a badly thought out movie promotion is kind of amusing to watch.

Naw, I just get a little bored with Pompous Mac telling us that the PC Police are hiding under his bed.

That you guys are going hysterical over a badly thought out movie promotion is kind of amusing to watch.

That you think we are the ones going hysterical is also telling.

Yep. It's just the way they are. Attack, attack, attack - they can't help themselves.

These aren't liberals. They're leftist authoritarians.

Did you see the applications or did you believe what you were told because it fits your narrative?

Actually, I believe it because I see it in my own side business as a resume writer.

I've had applications turned into me where the qualifications were, for the most part, the same. On paper, either person could have done the job. One that sticks out was that it was filled out in pencil when the application clearly said "Typed or blue/black ink". According to your mindset, they were equal. According to the one doing the hiring, me, the one in pencil meant the person couldn't follow directions. Another one involved someone misspelling his own name.

These weren't applications, they were resumes... So obviously, the examples you give aren't germane to the conversation.

Let's try again.

Two resumes, EXACT same experience. EXACT same Education. Exact same qualifications.

One has a "White" name. One has a black name. The one with a white name got callbacks. The one with the black name didn't.

Let's try again.

Black names and white names?

There are no two people that exactly alike in all ways. Sorry, your automatic assumption doesn't fly, racist.

Alamo Drafthouse: Hey, we made a mistake advertising those 'women's only' screenings of Wonder Woman - Hot Air

In the letter it sent to the city, the Alamo Drafthouse argues that advertising the shows as “women only” and “No guys allowed” was done in a “tongue-in-cheek” way. The theater claims anyone could still have purchased a ticket and entered the theater for the showing, whether man or woman. However, the Drafthouse does admit that advertising the show as “women only” was a mistake saying, “Respondents did not realize that advertising a ‘women’s only’ screening was a violation of discrimination laws.”

Considering a movie theater is an actual "Public Accommodation" this doesn't contradict my views on contracted services. However, why should a theater NOT be able to host an all women, all men, all midget or whatever movie night?

So you think our Constitution should be amended to allow 'all white people night', every night, at a theater?

The only thing that makes me care is that the people who support "Everything is a PA, bake the damn cake" are probably the same people who thought this woman only showing was a great idea. It's not the act, its the hypocrisy that drives me nuts.

You were probably nuts a long time ago...

But let's look at that.

A threater thinking female fans might enjoy the film a lot more if you didn't have a bunch of loutish guys making comments about the female star of the movie in the back. Well, the intentions were good.

Some asshole who refuses to bake a cake after his wife invited some gay people to use their shop, and then screams bible verses at the poor woman's mother.

Meh. Can't see how that was anything but hateful.
The gays bought things from the bakery and the baker sold it to them. He just didn't want to cater their wedding.

So you think our Constitution should be amended to allow 'all white people night', every night, at a theater?

So you think the guy who just for fun makes a ladies night at a theater is the same as all white night?
You think we are all so stupid and can't tell the difference we need the government to make "all or none" laws?
There does exist "intent of the law" judgements, whereas a judge can determine the spirit of a law.
This is insane.

Black names and white names?

There are no two people that exactly alike in all ways. Sorry, your automatic assumption doesn't fly, racist.

Okay.. listen to me slowly. These were not REAL resumes.

These were made up resumes with identical education, job experience and text.

The ONLY difference was some had names like "Emily" and "Greg" and others had names like "Jamal" and "Lakeisha"

http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873.pdf

No interviews. No applications... Just the very first step in the process, receiving a resume and reviewing it...

And when the resumes were sent out, Greg got callbacks. Jamal didn't.

It doesn't matter that they weren't real people. What matters is that the hiring managers were more likely to call someone with a white name than a black name.

Forum List

Back