Yard Sale Score....$5.00 Norlund Tomahawk Hudson Bay Axe

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
I found a Norlund Tomahawk Hudson Bay Axe for $5.00 at a yard sale this morning.

Nor 006 (3).JPG

Nor 007 (2).JPG

Nor 008 (2).JPG

It's in need of a light restoration so I removed the wedge and got the 26" haft off of the head. I'll clean the head up and repaint it. The hickory haft I'll clean, lightly sand, and refinish it.

They were made between 1967 and 1986 and compare well with a Gransfors axe of the same size.

The size/weight with the Hudson Bay type heads were also known as a trail, camp, and cabin axe with 1.75 to 2.00 pound heads. Head and haft on this one weighs in at 2 pounds and15.50 oz..

Decent vintage examples with the original haft bring $150+ but Council Tool make a good one for much less.

Here's one like i found today in it's OEM packaging.....Sadly there was no leather sheath but I make my own from Kydex anyway.

R.9f85ee46ef095b086fc94d68e4128f9f

I'll post-up a pic when it's done.

Nice find.

I have the smaller Cold Steel Trail Boss with a similar head profile...but lighter at 1 lb 13 oz.

Nice find.

I have the smaller Cold Steel Trail Boss with a similar head profile...but lighter at 1 lb 13 oz.

Where the cold steel ones depart in a big way as far as a trail axe goes is in the haft. It's more of a way too heavy splitting axe handle. Fine if that's what you want out of a trail axe.
Nice little project, and a break from your gun resto's.
Yeah, I like messing with them but usually the haft is so far gone I end-up just cleaning/selling the head on eBay.

After I removed the outer scale on the head I put it in a electrolysis bath for a hour or so and it came out a almost rust black....Pretty common with older heads.

I carded it off with 0000 steel wool and it looks pretty good. I then gave it a hot oil treatment (heating the head with a heat gun till almost too hot to hold then slathering it in gun oil) and will let it cure-out overnight.

I doubt if I will paint it.

The haft has been cleaned, lightly sanded, and coated. I did slightly re-char the grain but not much. There was nothing I could really do about the discoloration down from the head. I was just happy I could recover the haft.

Forum List

Back