Why do some police lie?

pknopp

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2019
Despite their actions being caught on camera they will still lie. In instances like Eddie Irizarry, they will still lie after being caught in their initial lie. (Saying they are still trying to determine who relayed the initial false info, they know who did this.)

As noted this has been a problem for a very long time. For years they go away with it but with the advent of video everywhere it's slowly being addressed.

"It's sad that this is not an aberration," said Rachel Moran, an associate professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minnesota. "It should be really unusual that the police would be involved in a violent event and then totally misrepresent what the person that they shot was doing...and unfortunately, I don't think it is very unusual."

"Judges will say this happened, prosecutors will say police regularly lied, defense attorneys certainly say that, police officers themselves," Moran said. "If you go back to the 1950s, the New York Police Department actually themselves coined the term "testilying" to describe their own use of deception when testifying."

Why do some police lie? Video contradicting official narrative is 'common,' experts say

police have always had partners so that one could lie and the other back hm up.
the invention of body cam may have reused a few questionable facts, but loyalty to partner is still police #1 priority.

Your wife buys a new dress and asks you if it makes her butt look big. You look at her big butt in the dress and say what? Yeah, that's right, you lie and say no.

This is why police cameras are a bad idea. When police officers have lied, it's been for the benefit of society.

Despite their actions being caught on camera they will still lie. In instances like Eddie Irizarry, they will still lie after being caught in their initial lie. (Saying they are still trying to determine who relayed the initial false info, they know who did this.)

As noted this has been a problem for a very long time. For years they go away with it but with the advent of video everywhere it's slowly being addressed.

"It's sad that this is not an aberration," said Rachel Moran, an associate professor at the University of St. Thomas School of Law in Minnesota. "It should be really unusual that the police would be involved in a violent event and then totally misrepresent what the person that they shot was doing...and unfortunately, I don't think it is very unusual."

"Judges will say this happened, prosecutors will say police regularly lied, defense attorneys certainly say that, police officers themselves," Moran said. "If you go back to the 1950s, the New York Police Department actually themselves coined the term "testilying" to describe their own use of deception when testifying."

Why do some police lie? Video contradicting official narrative is 'common,' experts say
1) Human nature to want to CYA.
2) I'm sorry for this comment, but for most (not all), something happens when you put on that badge and gun. You are imbued with a sense of godliness. Like your actions are above reproach. The people you are tasked with protecting and serving are somehow beneath you. So you dispense justice and rationalize any story or behavior.

1) Human nature to want to CYA.
2) I'm sorry for this comment, but for most (not all), something happens when you put on that badge and gun. You are imbued with a sense of godliness. Like your actions are above reproach. The people you are tasked with protecting and serving are somehow beneath you. So you dispense justice and rationalize any story or behavior.

Sorry? For what?

Would be nice to see it start at the top.
By the time someone gets to the top their morals (and common sense) are pretty much compromised.

Just look at the Republican candidate's response to the abortion issue questions. To a person a better government policy was needed, no mention for the need of behavioral changes of the people.

Last edited:
Same reason/s they cheat, steal, rape and kill.

Catering to their own wants and needs. It's a self serving act.....Most of the time.

in a moment of time an officer must make a decision. He/she bases it on what they believe was happening.
When the dust settles, they recall what they believed was happening.....but no always what did happen.
Put yourself in their shoes.
Or just criticize them and call them liars.

in a moment of time an officer must make a decision. He/she bases it on what they believe was happening.
When the dust settles, they recall what they believed was happening.....but no always what did happen.
Prosecutors routinely withhold exculpatory information from the defense. I was once accused of providing beer for a party where there were minors present. The evidence showed that they brought their own beer but the police ignored it. They also lied about other aspects of the event.

OK...I will. If you are unable to rationalize a guy coming at you with a weapon from a guy just sitting in his car, you have no business being a police officer.

why do criminals lie ... on cops i saw a guy get arrested and when they found drugs in his jeans he said ..and i quote ..DEEZ MY COUSINS JEANS ..:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back