What Non-Hockey Fans Have Known All Along

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
The reason why NHL hockey is a bullshit sport is that, especially in the playoffs, skill is subordinate to brutality. Players are allowed to get away with figurative "murder" most of the time during the regular season, and almost all of the time in the playoffs. Teams with the most skilled players seldom win in the playoffs, being sidelined by less talented teams that prevent them from playing their game with constant "checking" and worse.

The little I've seen of European hockey seems to confirm that they do not subscribe to this silliness, and rely on speed, skill, and strategy to win games. How primitive.

Of course, the fact is that this style of play is what the paying fans want. That's probably why hockey is a third tier professional sport in the U.S. Just above professional wrestling, with which it shares a lot.

Of course, the fact is that this style of play is what the paying fans want. That's probably why hockey is a third tier professional sport in the U.S. Just above professional wrestling, with which it shares a lot.
No it isn't.

Marchand is a career fucking goon, with the most punchable face in the NHL....Just because he's a knuckle dragger doesn't mean that everyone plays that way, or that the fans want it.

Last edited:
The reason why NHL hockey is a bullshit sport is that, especially in the playoffs, skill is subordinate to brutality. Players are allowed to get away with figurative "murder" most of the time during the regular season, and almost all of the time in the playoffs. Teams with the most skilled players seldom win in the playoffs, being sidelined by less talented teams that prevent them from playing their game with constant "checking" and worse.

The little I've seen of European hockey seems to confirm that they do not subscribe to this silliness, and rely on speed, skill, and strategy to win games. How primitive.

If you don't like it, don't watch. Change the channel and find something you enjoy watching.

whats the matter?.....does the rough play give you a nose bleed?....

For at least the past 15 years the Boston Bruins are the biggest choke of every seasons playoffs. Great regular season, often leading the league in scoring, and always exiting the playoffs early. They finally won an elimination game this season, so there was progress.

The only other team that is close to as big a choke artist is Toronto. Marchand is the face of that choking franchise.

As much as I grew up on hard nosed hockey, you are correct about this. The league refuses to evolve and thus it remains on the outskirts, a niche product. No different than the UFC and just as concentrated a fan base.

The only thing I want is the game to be called straight, no difference between the regular season and the playoffs. It isnt though. The only time it was done so in my lifetime was in 2005 and 2006 when Crosby basically saved the Penguins from bankruptcy. The league sent out an ultimatum that they would eliminate clutching and grabbing, certain hits and interference. It saved the Pens as Crosby went to the finals and also won a Cup later on (three now).

So, the intensity and passion of the sport in playoffs is great but I can sum it up succinctly, "skill vs will". This is what appears to the inner warrior in us. We like to see the underdog just go through the wall by sheer willpower to win games.

There was probably no greater example of this than a player like CLaude Lemieux. Check out his regular season points compared to the playoffs, night and day. Once playoffs begun, he was in the trenches and did everything to win. Even the very dangerous hit on Kris Draper. He actually answered the bell too (Darren McCarthy fought him?) the next season when he took a beating at centre ice. He told his coach he wanted to start the game at centre, something he wouldnt do and his coach said he didnt need to do it and he said "yes I do".

It's a different mentality come playoffs. So, we have to take it for what it is. I would much prefer the beauty of the game no question. I wasn't always that way but with age comes wisdom.

Stick to soccer, wuss.

Forum List

Back