What is better.....public schools or private schools?

I teach in the CTE department in the most diverse school in the system and just a few of my students will go to college. Besides the medical subjects I teach them, I have them focus on resumes, dress for success, how to talk to a grown-up, etc. There are lots of manufactoring jobs unfilled right now that pays good and offers benefits and job security.

I certainly do not expect my garbage person to be a college graduate. I mean, if they want to fine, but as long as they do their job well and get satisfaction out of it, I think its great. Being able to communicate with each other is basic to getting along.

And a garbage man does not have to stay a garbage man for ever.
DAMN YOU ONLINE DISTANCE EDUCATION!!!!

Damn you all to HELLLLLLLL!!!!!!

May the likes of Technical colleges and trade schools which are far more useful to 70% of the working population burn for cutting the legs out from the myth of 'success is only found in a 4 year degree'!

Stupid class mobility and non-static model of the universe!

Last edited:
I've never been to a private school only public. So i can only talk about my experience in public school. I had a great experience in public schools. All my friends from the neiborhood went there so it was very easy to have somebody come over and do homework together. My teachers were awesome. Except this one.....
I was able to join many different activities like play the violin, piano, choir, and of course girl scouts. Throughout my school years my teachers were very supportive and helped me whenever i needed some academic help. I had no problems in public school whatsoever as far as how i got treated. I guess just because i had less money than the person next to me the teacher didn't mind giving me the same education.

I had both my kids in private since 5th grade. This year, my Son is going to public because he wants to do JROTC and sports. He also likes public for the same reasons you mentioned. He is also driven and takes a long view on his future, so a lazy teacher really has no bearing on him what so ever. My Daughter it very artsy fartsey, and enjoys the private school. She has just about all the things public school has except for the organized activity's, and massive class sizes. The one thing they like about private school is they are both fully one grade ahead of the kids in public school.

Sounds interesting..... GOOD TO KNOW.

That sounds like something i want for my daughter.

I believe that the whole educational model is about to radically change, folks.

As we abandon our responsibility to educate our young in public settings, the internet has become the tool for autodidacts.

Anybody who wants one can get the education of a PhD online if they're willing to work on it. (I mean on their own, not in some ersatz online school)

Of course, as yet, society is mostly unwilling to accept the highly educated person who does not have a formal degree.

But that, I hope, WILL change over time.

FWIW, despite all the griping I do about the times we live in, this is the BEST TIME IN MANKIND'S HISTORY to be a scholar.

If the pursuit of knowledge is one's goal, no time in history is better than this one.

Of course, knowing stuff does not equate to making money. Making money is mostly about sticking to one's knitting. Being a scholar is like being in a permanent state of wonder from discovery and being somewhat indifferent to materialism.

But if the goal is knowing stuff just for the sake of the knowing, then this is the best of times, even if it sometimes it seems to be becoming the worst of times.

I believe that the whole educational model is about to radically change, folks.

As we abandon our responsibility to educate our young in public settings, the internet has become the tool for autodidacts.

Anybody who wants one can get the education of a PhD online if they're willing to work on it. (I mean on their own, not in some ersatz online school)

Of course, as yet, society is mostly unwilling to accept the highly educated person who does not have a formal degree.

But that, I hope, WILL change over time.

FWIW, despite all the griping I do about the times we live in, this is the BEST TIME IN MANKIND'S HISTORY to be a scholar.

If the pursuit of knowledge is one's goal, no time in history is better than this one.

Of course, knowing stuff does not equate to making money. Making money is mostly about sticking to one's knitting. Being a scholar is like being in a permanent state of wonder from discovery and being somewhat indifferent to materialism.

But if the goal is knowing stuff just for the sake of the knowing, then this is the best of times, even if it sometimes it seems to be becoming the worst of times.

this post is manifold approved :thup:

I'll second hand that.

It's very true. It's almost like the book of life.

What could the book of life be?

What if you had a book that answered all of your questions that pertained to YOUR life (literally)?
* I would have made the right choices when i was in middle school.
* I would know what baby i would be having without an ultrasound being done.
* My kids would all end up going to the best school.
*etc.

But i Guess we don't have those kind of books....what we DO have are educational books.

I've never been to a private school only public. So i can only talk about my experience in public school. I had a great experience in public schools. All my friends from the neiborhood went there so it was very easy to have somebody come over and do homework together. My teachers were awesome. Except this one.....
I was able to join many different activities like play the violin, piano, choir, and of course girl scouts. Throughout my school years my teachers were very supportive and helped me whenever i needed some academic help. I had no problems in public school whatsoever as far as how i got treated. I guess just because i had less money than the person next to me the teacher didn't mind giving me the same education.

I had both my kids in private since 5th grade. This year, my Son is going to public because he wants to do JROTC and sports. He also likes public for the same reasons you mentioned. He is also driven and takes a long view on his future, so a lazy teacher really has no bearing on him what so ever. My Daughter it very artsy fartsey, and enjoys the private school. She has just about all the things public school has except for the organized activity's, and massive class sizes. The one thing they like about private school is they are both fully one grade ahead of the kids in public school.

Sounds interesting..... GOOD TO KNOW.

That sounds like something i want for my daughter.

Well, you are in Houston you have tons of options. My kids are teens so they get to make the call.

My wife informs me you are wrong. It will not change during my lifetime at home.

That is different. What you need is some kids :lol: Or convince her that's its not garbage, but "stuff"

Buddy, kids grow up and leave home.
that is contrary to the development of the endangered "Failure to Launch" culture that enables bad SF TV, miniatures, collectables, male virginity, obesity, intellectual dilettantes with worthless degrees and diabetes to abound!

We must protect endangered sub-cultures from vanishing!

Private schools are generally better since they are not forced to take the dregs and generally just get the cream of the crop.

consider if we only had private schools?

Or consider if private schools continue to take money and the cream of the crop from public schools.
A further class division will happen. Which is exactly what many want.
no. sorry. Not completely true. There are many private schools that specialize in the dregs who get thrown out of public school. How do I know? My former company transported for 2 of them.

The fact that this was asked as a serious question is frankly silly. Homeschooling is best 80% of the time if the parents have the time and ability to do it. Private school is almost universally better than public. They don't have bloated overhead or unions protecting incompetent teachers.

Most parents don't have the ability beyond the basics.

I went to an option that I don't think has ever been available in the US (though correct me if I'm wrong). I went to a grammar school. It was funded by the state but acceptance depended on whether you passed a nation-wide test sat when you're 11-years-old called the Eleven Plus (which is now largely redundant). If you passed the test you were accepted to the local grammar school. If you failed you went to the local secondary modern - which was noticably poorer in terms of teaching talent and resources. Grammar schools are basically a state-funded version of private education, in that they only accept those who're deemed capable of shouldering the greater workload as opposed to what's expected in a secondary modern.

One noticable difference between today's institutions (state-funded or private) in Britain is that discipline (compared to America, amongst others) was incredibly fierce. Disruptive behaviour was often punished by a severe beating i.e - the cane or an open fist.

What you're referring to is a subset of charter schools.

Public_Versus_Private.jpg

Here are some data, showing the scores of public high school graduates vs. private school (home school too) graduates and their scores on the ACT from the state of Kentucky.

I'm more interested in actual numbers and data like this than the stories from either side. I'll accept whatever answer the data show.

Correlation does not imply causation.

More Data, interesting study and it's short so all you political douches who only communicate in sound bites and poached headlines from other people might be able to understand it.

Does High School Quality Matter? Evidence from Admissions Data

Conclusion:
In summary, our study yields two important findings. First, we find evidence of a statistically significant effect of attending a highly selective private high school relative to other top public and private schools on the selectivity of the college subsequently attended. In addition, we find that this effect is largely driven by gains for girls and students from lowerincome families.

Not conculsive, but shows some aspect of private school to be superior to some public schools.

Not really. If private schools were better, you'd see gains across the board, not concentrated among disadvantaged groups. These results are consistent with hypothesis that resources are the biggest variable.

Forum List

Back