What Have You Done?

Another war story. During the 13 day Cuban missile crisis, the 4th Infantry division mounted troop ships in Tacoma and headed south. We made port in San Diego and loaded on ammo and other ordinance. We then sailed to the Panama Canal and through on our way to Cuba. We arrived offshore right after dark and anchored. Next morning at dawn the ships were underway but we were headed back the way we came. Seems JFK had called Kruschchev's bluff and old Nikita chickened out.
I have a question or two. It's ok if you don't want to answer. What did you think of JFK at that time? Also, what did you think McNamara and did that change over time? Also what did you think of Battista and Castro? What did you think about that whole thing and did that change over time?

When fishing along the MN, Ontario border, I crossed into Canada illegally and stole some rocks for my garden. :eusa_shhh:

I learned how to use these:

Demolition-Man-3-Seashells.png
What is it?

So, are you going to tell us or just sit on that?
We were on vacation in Maui, that I won for being buyer of the year at Dillards Florida Division....fully paid for, including a convertible Mustang.

We decided to make the famous scenic drive to Hana, on the other end of the island's tip.
And there was the most beautiful scenic views, with waterfalls and mountains and the ocean, and black sand beaches and flowering bushes everywhere...in the convertible you could smell all the flowers, we even stopped to take dips in pools of water below waterfalls on the long trip.

About halfway there the road narrows, and the 200ft cliffs come right up to the road's edge, with no guard rails.... Matt slows down the car to make the winding curves, by this time we are both getting scared, the road is not safe....

Then it narrowed down to a one lane, with two way traffic, with mad men truck drivers coming head on to us, flying down it, where we had to move off the road to let them through, I screamed at Matt to go only 10 miles an hour, he screamed back he was going 10mph, and I screamed back, then go 5 mph..... Honestly, we both thought we were going to die!!! Really! Truly! And both became closer with God!

It took 6 hours for the drive there that was less than 100 miles!!! When we got to Hana, there was nothing there to see....and it was approaching dusk....

We had a map, and although it had warning notices not to take the back road on the other side of the island back to where we were staying, because it was an unmaintained dangerous dirt road, unless you had a 4 wheel drive.....

We took the chance with the convertible, because we knew we were dead meat, if we took the Road to Hana back ...in the dark.

This was the shallow beach side of the island with just a few mountains to go around, no anything in site and potholes the size of Alaska.... We ended up meeting another couple taking a rest, who had experienced the same life threatening experience as we did who refused to go back that way, who were on their honeymoon....they were stationed in Germany, he was in the air force, and low and behold, they were staying at the Embassy Suites as well, so we made the rest of the drive following each other, and then downed a few drinks with them, and hung out the rest of the Vacation, with them....so some good came out of the trip, I suppose....

Matt and I were only married 5 years at the time, the stress level was an 11, on the trip there....

Once back at the hotel, we joked with each other that since our marriage survived all that screaming, we would probably last forever! And we have! :)

Last edited:
Hiked across this country many times, and have been on death bed before more times than not.

Maybe a few of you have done the insane shit I have done from living in the woods for months ( Tent Living ) to hiking across this entire Country, Canada and Mexico but I doubt many of you have done it or would even try in today time…

We were on vacation in Maui, that I won for being buyer of the year at Dillards Florida Division....fully paid for, including a convertible Mustang.

We decided to make the famous scenic drive to Hana, on the other end of the island's tip.
And there was the most beautiful scenic views, with waterfalls and mountains and the ocean, and black sand beaches and flowering bushes everywhere...in the convertible you could smell all the flowers, we even stopped to take dips in pools of water below waterfalls on the long trip.

About halfway there the road narrows, and the 200ft cliffs come right up to the road's edge, with no guard rails.... Matt slows down the car to make the winding curves, by this time we are both getting scared, the road is not safe....

Then it narrowed down to a one lane, with two way traffic, with mad men truck drivers coming head on to us, flying down it, where we had to move off the road to let them through, I screamed at Matt to go only 10 miles an hour, he screamed back he was going 10mph, and I screamed back, then go 5 mph..... Honestly, we both thought we were going to die!!! Really! Truly! And both became closer with God!

It took 6 hours for the drive there that was less than 100 miles!!! When we got to Hana, there was nothing there to see....and it was approaching dusk....

We had a map, and although it had warning notices not to take the back road on the other side of the island back to where we were staying, because it was an unmaintained dangerous dirt road, unless you had a 4 wheel drive.....

We took the chance with the convertible, because we knew we were dead meat, if we took the Road to Hana back ...in the dark.

This was the shallow beach side of the island with just a few mountains to go around, no anything in site and potholes the size of Alaska.... We ended up meeting another couple taking a rest, who had experienced the same life threatening experience as we did who refused to go back that way, who were on their honeymoon....they were stationed in Germany, he was in the air force, and low and behold, they were staying at the Embassy Suites as well, so we made the rest of the drive following each other, and then downed a few drinks with them, and hung out the rest of the trip, with them....so some good came out of the trip, I suppose....

Matt and I were only married 5 years at the time, the stress level was an 11, on the trip there....

Once back at the hotel, we joked with each other that since our marriage survived all that screaming, we would probably last forever! And we have! :)
Holy crap. That is crazy. That sounds like an adventure. Thank you for that.

Hiked across this country many times, and have been on death bed before more times than not.

Maybe a few of you have done the insane shit I have done from living in the woods for months ( Tent Living ) to hiking across this entire Country, Canada and Mexico but I doubt many of you have done it or would even try in today time…
Why did you live in the woods for months? How long did you live there?

I've been in bare-knuckle or knife fights in dark alleyways all over the world more times than I care to recount. Only by the grace of God made it this far.

I've been in bare-knuckle or knife fights in dark alleyways all over the world more times than I care to recount. Only by the grace of God made it this far.
Were your bareknuckle fights arranged like in the movie "Fight Club", or were they encounters where you were defending yourself?

Been in a few of those my scars are still visible but starting to fade some . I am not proud of them.

Forum List

Back