We only have a billion years to find a new home.

Or so they say. By some estimates, it could be as little as a billion years before the sun’s radiation becomes too much for life on Earth to handle.

In roughly 5 billion years, the sun will run out of energy and drastically alter the solar system. Oceans will be baked dry. Entire planets will be consumed. And long-icy worlds will finally enjoy their day in the sun.

Our star is powered by nuclear fusion, and it turns hydrogen into helium in a process that converts mass into energy. Once the fuel supply is gone, the sun will start growing dramatically. Its outer layers will expand until they engulf much of the solar system, as it becomes what astronomers call a red giant.

(snip)
And, when the sun does turn into a red giant, the Earth will also be vaporized — perhaps just a few million years after Mercury and Venus have been consumed. All the rocks and fossils and remains of the creatures that have lived here will be gobbled up by the sun’s growing orb, wiping out any lingering trace of humanity’s existence on Earth.

So global warming is more mother nature than man? I'm gonna faint!

You can laser beam human dna to earth like planets
. Beforehand , you have AI nano machines arrive decades earlier to set up moon bases

I'
You can laser beam human dna to earth like planets
. Beforehand , you have AI nano machines arrive decades earlier to set up moon bases
I'm thinking about getting big nuclear powered rockets to increase Earth's orbit as the sun expands in a gradual shift....until we need a really big move to another star system.

Greg

You know I always wonder what happens to Jupiter when the Sun finally burns itself out…

Humanity will be long gone by then because our minds are primitive and will fail to find a new home out in space, so I am not worried about the end of Gaia…
On earth as it is in heaven.

We all were born 200 yrs to F early

If I was born 200 yrs in the future ; I would have enhanced brain upgrades , AI wife and genetic engineering would fix my mental problems

gtopa1
It ain’t going to be Star Trek

The key is nanotechnology and AI

You use AI to set up cities and cloning facilities

Humans can travel by DNA being laser beam

In 200 yrs
We went from basic combustion engines to electricity to computers to now basic genetic engineering and nanotechnology

In 200 -300 yrs..humans will be on nearby Star systems

In 100-150 yrs : humans will have immortality

We will be able to slow down aging and download you digitally into super computers

I could live thousands of yrs

gtopa1
That is silly
Earth has a perfect orbit or we would not be here
No Quasar; as the sun expands and it gets too hot in this orbit. Theoretically it should be possible to change earth's orbit GRADUALLY as the sun expands....should be able to think of something in a billion years!!!!

Greg

Or so they say. By some estimates, it could be as little as a billion years before the sun’s radiation becomes too much for life on Earth to handle.

In roughly 5 billion years, the sun will run out of energy and drastically alter the solar system. Oceans will be baked dry. Entire planets will be consumed. And long-icy worlds will finally enjoy their day in the sun.

Our star is powered by nuclear fusion, and it turns hydrogen into helium in a process that converts mass into energy. Once the fuel supply is gone, the sun will start growing dramatically. Its outer layers will expand until they engulf much of the solar system, as it becomes what astronomers call a red giant.

(snip)
And, when the sun does turn into a red giant, the Earth will also be vaporized — perhaps just a few million years after Mercury and Venus have been consumed. All the rocks and fossils and remains of the creatures that have lived here will be gobbled up by the sun’s growing orb, wiping out any lingering trace of humanity’s existence on Earth.

Provided, of course, if we do not get hit by a very large comet or asteroid in the interim. Or a wandering rogue planet or brown dwarf does not wander through our solar system and disrupt it. Or a gamma burster does not have one of its poles aimed at our solar system and sterilize every thing with gamma radiation. And I imagine there are some dragons out there we don't know about yet. The universe is really not that friendly of a place for life.

One other point here, in a far shorter time than a billion years, man will not be man any more. We will either be another species, or extinct with no descendants. And what that species will be capable of, we cannot even imagine, no more than a dog or cat can comprehend the technology of today.

Forum List

Back