Walked into Best Buy to get a cover for my tablet today

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Walked out with an Oculus-Rift lol sometimes I really hate Best Buy & Home Depot

That's a competitor of rift but the video will give you an idea of what it's like while wearing it.
Does everything from Netflix to Gaming to Virtual vacations to outer space and so on.
Pretty excited to check it out!

Walked out with an Oculus-Rift lol sometimes I really hate Best Buy & Home Depot

That's a competitor of rift but the video will give you an idea of what it's like while wearing it.
Does everything from Netflix to Gaming to Virtual vacations to outer space and so on.

awesome!

if i had a pc that could handle it... but i'm a console gamer. psvr this october!

• Banned

awesome!

if i had a pc that could handle it... but i'm a console gamer. psvr this october!

I thought about waiting but that demo was incredible. It started with me on top of a skyscraper only a few feet from the edge. I walked over & looked down & felt an instant fear reaction in my gut. It ended with a TRex roaring in my face as his saliva rained down on me like a terrifying rain storm.

I can not wait to play some of the horror games & interactive movies.

one of the things i really want to see is how 3d movies look.

i have 3dtvs (one passive, one active) but the experience is a little lacking for both.

hurry up with the review!

awesome!

I thought about waiting but that demo was incredible. It started with me on top of a skyscraper only a few feet from the edge. I walked over & looked down & felt an instant fear reaction in my gut. It ended with a TRex roaring in my face as his saliva rained down on me like a terrifying rain storm.

did you catch any e3 coverage? not sure if it's coming to rift but resident evil 7 is supposed to be in vr. they also had a doom and fallout 4 demo, but i think they were more proofs of concept.

you're mileage will probably vary depending on how much you like the movie alien, nut alien:isolation has a rift mode. should be cheap on pc now, too

• Banned
Running into some minor issues. Need two displays running and my gpu only has one hdmi port along with traditional pc ports, but the Rift & my 4k tv only support hdmi. I found a work around to get set up but this will not work as a permanent solution. Gonna need to find some adaptors that are 4k capable or this will be a bust for me. Not gonna be swapping out cables all the time.

awesome!

did you catch any e3 coverage? not sure if it's coming to rift but resident evil 7 is supposed to be in vr. they also had a doom and fallout 4 demo, but i think they were more proofs of concept.

I played the Resident Evil teaser today. That game is going to be terrifying. There's no way I'd play it with a headset.

What are the power requirements? Is it like a phone you can charge up and guarantee it will work for few hours at least?

What are the power requirements? Is it like a phone you can charge up and guarantee it will work for few hours at least?

It plugs into your gpu via hdmi. Endless power. I believe the minimum specs are an i5 with a gtx 970.

I just got a pair of gear VR's the other day. They're giving them away. Anyway, it was VERY cool at first.... but.... they get old fairly quick. Glad I got them for free. Not worth the $100 sticker price, IMO.

Just played, watched, & experienced for about 2.5 hours.

Elite Dangerous is off the fucking charts. You literally feel as if you are flying a fighter space ship & dog fights are incredible with it. I've played elite dangerous for about 6 months in 4k and that is child's play compared to this. I think I might have pooped myself a bit when it first fired up & the screen popped on with me in the cockpit lol. Not only that but you can actually move around in the space ship. Unbelievably realistic.
I also tried a program called Mythos The World Axis. Hard to describe but I guess it's a horror, Gothic puzzle? You start as an unidentified (beast?) Chained up watching a human descend a slow wooden elevator. You can lean towards the human and he looks about an inch or two tall, and incredibly lifelike, compared to you....whatever you are. You have control of the human but from the Chained up creatures perspective. You guide him through what appears to be a dungeon and try to set yourself free. Then when you do the camera switches to the humans perspective just as your about to get eaten by the creature you just set free.
Also watched a video called Showdown which looked like a tech demo for a FPS with bullet time. Indescribable is all I can say. If shooters look like this in vr.....well I dunno, take my money I guess.
A lot of games like Skyrim, Alien Isolation & Dark Souls will run in vr but you have to buy some extra software to alter the files to make them run in 3d space.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to find some 4k adapters to get my stuff hooked up right cause right now I had to disconnect my 4k tv from my pc and use an old crappie monitor. That simply isn't going to work.

I just got a pair of gear VR's the other day. They're giving them away. Anyway, it was VERY cool at first.... but.... they get old fairly quick. Glad I got them for free. Not worth the $100 sticker price, IMO.

Yeah I tried that. Seemed ok but running on a phone it obviously is going to be very limited. The Gear VR is made by Oculus I believe so I think it is just a teaser to peak interest in an effort to sell Oculus-Rift units

I'd love to try some of the new VR gadgets, but the last time I did back in the day (Duke Nukem 3D - era), I ended up with an hours-long headache. And that was after only about 20 minutes of playing time.
Didn't wear glasses or anything then, and still don't (except to read), so I don't know what the issue was. :dunno:

Maybe they're better now.

I'd love to try some of the new VR gadgets, but the last time I did back in the day (Duke Nukem 3D - era), I ended up with an hours-long headache. And that was after only about 20 minutes of playing time.
Didn't wear glasses or anything then, and still don't (except to read), so I don't know what the issue was. :dunno:

They are. Much better.

Read my review I linked in my previous post.

One of the charities for kids I work for uses that to put people in 3rd world nations so they can experience the areas we work in.

They are. Much better.

Read your review. You can play steam games on it. Go into your tools folder on steam. Click on steam vr then properties then click on run beta. It will have a box for a password just ignore it. After the beta installs you can play any steam game in a vr theater. It's like playing on an imax screen.
Also there is a program called vorpx. It takes non vr games & let's you alter the appropriate files to turn a non vr game into vr. I think it costs about 30 or 40 bucks. You need to be fairly savy with a pc from what I understand. Some games already have profiles made. Like Skyrim, Alien Isolation Dark Souls...... quite a few actually.

They are. Much better.

In case you're interested. This is a tutorial for DK1 & DK2 (developer kits) but it should give you a good idea of how it works.

Last edited:

They are. Much better.

Read your review. You can play steam games on it. Go into your tools folder on steam. Click on steam vr then properties then click on run beta. It will have a box for a password just ignore it. After the beta installs you can play any steam game in a vr theater. It's like playing on an imax screen.
Also there is a program called vorpx. It takes non vr games & let's you alter the appropriate files to turn a non vr game into vr. I think it costs about 30 or 40 bucks. You need to be fairly savy with a pc from what I understand. Some games already have profiles made. Like Skyrim, Alien Isolation Dark Souls...... quite a few actually.
I hate Steam.

Hate.

HATE!

Steam. I hate 'em.

Forum List

Back