UK's Cameron unveils statue of Mahatma Gandhi

It's time to celebrate the Empire, says Brown

Britain must stop apologising for its colonial past and recognise that it has produced some of the greatest ideas in history, Gordon Brown has declared. The Chancellor called for the "great British values" - freedom, tolerance, civic duty - to be admired as some of our most successful exports. He used a visit to one of Britain's former East African colonies and one of the strongholds of the campaign against 'white imperialism' to make an unabashed pitch for a return to patriotism. Mr Brown wants to make it acceptable again to talk about Britishness after the term was widely discredited by Left-wing critics and social commentators. In Tanzania, on the third day of his four-nation African tour, the Chancellor made a discreet dawn visit to Dar es Salaam's small Commonwealth cemetery where he laid a wreath in honour of fallen servicemen.

It s time to celebrate the Empire says Brown Daily Mail Online

They need to be thinking less about misplaced pride in their criminal empire and more about how they can pay reparations. Britain killed and tortured millions of people during Raj. That was nothing but crime against humanity and only a douche-bag Brit would be proud of that.

If it weren't for the British Empire, all that lovely railway infrastructure that has supported so many Indian families and served the Indian economy since independence would never have been built.

You guys have to come up with a different line now. This railway thing is way out of date. You may have had a point if we were still in 1947 but we are in 2015 now. The railway lines that Brits left India with were narrow gauge and meter gauge and they were few and far flung. None of them exist today. The extensive railway network of broad gauge that India has today was all built by Indians.

Er, yeah, I'm sure repairs have been done and tracks recalibrated since we left, but who do you think cleared the tracks' routes and blasted and tunnelled through India's hill country?

The level of brainwashing average Brits is subjected to is downright sad. You people are textbook example of what happens to a society when it swallows too much of its own propaganda.

The level of stubborn ignorance encouraged among average Indians is downright staggering sometimes. The evidence of the Victorians' enormous civil engineering projects in India (which are still very much in use) aren't propaganda, Vikrant, they're reality. Deal with it.

They need to be thinking less about misplaced pride in their criminal empire and more about how they can pay reparations. Britain killed and tortured millions of people during Raj. That was nothing but crime against humanity and only a douche-bag Brit would be proud of that.

If it weren't for the British Empire, all that lovely railway infrastructure that has supported so many Indian families and served the Indian economy since independence would never have been built.

You guys have to come up with a different line now. This railway thing is way out of date. You may have had a point if we were still in 1947 but we are in 2015 now. The railway lines that Brits left India with were narrow gauge and meter gauge and they were few and far flung. None of them exist today. The extensive railway network of broad gauge that India has today was all built by Indians.

Er, yeah, I'm sure repairs have been done and tracks recalibrated since we left, but who do you think cleared the tracks' routes and blasted and tunnelled through India's hill country?

The level of brainwashing average Brits is subjected to is downright sad. You people are textbook example of what happens to a society when it swallows too much of its own propaganda.

The level of stubborn ignorance encouraged among average Indians is downright staggering sometimes. The evidence of the Victorians' enormous civil engineering projects in India (which are still very much in use) aren't propaganda, Vikrant, they're reality. Deal with it.

British posters are one of the least informed people that I run into when debating online. This is not going to change till people in UK will have access to fair and balanced news sources.

I grew up in India till I was 20 so I have pretty good grasp of infrastructure work done by Indians vs what Brits left. My knowledge is based on first hand information as opposed to yours which is based on pure propaganda.

Forum List

Back