Tonight's Moon...

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
A friend of mine says it will actually be fuller tomorrow night, but this was looking pretty damn full tonight:

moon03.jpg

Itza Supermoon.

Competing with the last of the Eta Aquarids meteor shower too.

I might take out my little telescope tonight. Although looking at a fairly full moon is kind of blinding. But since it is so close the crater detail could be really cool.

I might take out my little telescope tonight. Although looking at a fairly full moon is kind of blinding. But since it is so close the crater detail could be really cool.

So put a filter on it. Or a piece of gel over the lens.

I had a filter but I can't find it. You can put gel on the lens? Doesn't that screw up the image?

I had a filter but I can't find it. You can put gel on the lens? Doesn't that screw up the image?

I guess I have more gels than most people. Used to work in staging. I keep one in my car for the glare coming off the GPS screen.

I guess I have more gels than most people. Used to work in staging. I keep one in my car for the glare coming off the GPS screen.
Yeah, we know what you keep gel in your car for...

I got a few minutes while it was coming up and not quite so bright. I saw an impact crater I hadn't notice before. It was not as large in diameter as some of the others, but the streaks eminating from it stretched nearly halfway across the moon, very cool!

The crater I got a great view of was Tycho. The rays extending out from the crater were really lit up, very cool!
Did you get a shot? I have trouble with the moon on full moon nights as I don't have the right filter and the contrast blows the shot.

The crater I got a great view of was Tycho. The rays extending out from the crater were really lit up, very cool!
Did you get a shot? I have trouble with the moon on full moon nights as I don't have the right filter and the contrast blows the shot.
No I just mess around with a reflector telescope, I don't have a camera setup. Tonight I wish I did, the light was just right as the moon was coming up, it wasn't blaring bright yet.

I have trouble with the moon on full moon nights as I don't have the right filter and the contrast blows the shot.

What are you having trouble with?

The thing to keep in mind, and what many people don't, is that the moon exposes like daylight. Think about it: it's reflecting the sun. The shot I posted was taken with a Canon 100-400mm IS on a Canon 6D MKII at 1/160 at f/9, at an ISO of 400.

I don't use any filters at all...

A friend of mine says it will actually be fuller tomorrow night, but this was looking pretty damn full tonight:

View attachment 332990
It is gonna be overcast here or I'd take a picture of it. Last time it happened I got up on the hill so I could get a good view and right after I set the tripod up and mounted the camera, my glasses fell off and broke and I couldn't see to set the camera. Dammit!

Forum List

Back