Timne to put the national anthem debate to rest.

SC Patriot

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2020
First...it is the national anthem Unitil legislation or EO changes it, it will be the national anthem.
Second...it is the national anthem. If you dont like it fine with me. But dont tell me I am not allowed to enjoy hearing it. You dont like it? Turn the sound down or dont go to places that play it.
Third....I understand people feel it is inappropriate becuase of our history of slavery and discrimination of women.
Fourth...we no longer endorse or practice slavery and discrimination of women is rapidly declining

Now....reality...

Do Egyptians hate their national anthem because of what their ancestors did to the Jews back in the day of the Pharaoh?
Do Germans hate their national anthem due to what they did to millions of men, women and children?
Does Japan hate their national anthem because of their unprovoked surprise attack on Pearl Harbor?
South Africa dna what they did to Mandella?
Ireland and the IRA?
Mexico and the Alamo?

Enough already. We are learning to be better.

Get over it.

But the Star Spangled Banner or any national anthem should have nothing at all to do with sports.
At sporting events, people who run the event should play or not play anything they want.

But the Star Spangled Banner or any national anthem should have nothing at all to do with sports.
At sporting events, people who run the event should play or not play anything they want.
It is tradition, unlike paid employees kneeling for a public show, before they go do their jobs.

It is traditional. It is what we do as Americans. Watch the Olympics. All nations do it. Watch soccer games abroad. They all do it.

When large groups of Americans convene in one location, it is tradition to speak the pledge or to sing the national anthem...or both.

It is tradition.

Necessary? Of course not. Is a Priest or Rabbi necessary at a funeral? No.

Is it necessary to play "Here comes the Bride" at a wedding? No

But it is tradition. Not a political statement. Not a racist statement. Not a mysoginistic statement.

It is tradition.

Perhaps having National Holidays should be banned. After all, the are not necessary and they have no reason to interfere with our work schedule.

I always thought in interesting that the anthem wasn't really played at sports events until WWII. And then of course the cold war started up.

I now understand that when I was a kid in the early 60s having the anthem before a game seemed ….. superfluous.

First...it is the national anthem Unitil legislation or EO changes it, it will be the national anthem.
Second...it is the national anthem. If you dont like it fine with me. But dont tell me I am not allowed to enjoy hearing it. You dont like it? Turn the sound down or dont go to places that play it.
Third....I understand people feel it is inappropriate becuase of our history of slavery and discrimination of women.
Fourth...we no longer endorse or practice slavery and discrimination of women is rapidly declining

Now....reality...

Do Egyptians hate their national anthem because of what their ancestors did to the Jews back in the day of the Pharaoh?
Do Germans hate their national anthem due to what they did to millions of men, women and children?
Does Japan hate their national anthem because of their unprovoked surprise attack on Pearl Harbor?
Ireland and the IRA?
Mexico and the Alamo?

Get over it.
I propose we (Texas) adopt a new National Anthem:

Texas, Our Texas! All hail the mighty State!
Texas, Our Texas! So wonderful so great!
boldest and grandest, withstanding ev'ry test
O Empire wide and glorious, you stand supremely blest.

God bless you Texas! And keep you brave and strong,
That you may grow in power and worth, throughout the ages long.

Texas, O Texas! your freeborn single star,
Sends out its radiance to nations near and far,
Emblem of Freedom! it sets our hearts aglow,
With thoughts of San Jacinto and glorious Alamo.

Texas, dear Texas! From tyrant grip now free,
Shine forth in splendor your star of destiny
Mother of heroes, we come your children true.
Proclaiming our allegiance, our faith, our love for you.

Texas-Flag-Small.gif

Now....reality...

Ireland and the IRA?
Mexico and the Alamo?

Get over it.
Leftist America haters like Rigby5 will always stand against ANYTHING that may evoke American patriotism, nationalism and pride.

I always thought in interesting that the anthem wasn't really played at sports events until WWII. And then of course the cold war started up.

I now understand that when I was a kid in the early 60s having the anthem before a game seemed ….. superfluous.
Yeah. I am sure you did.

Just like you are a conservative/republican as you claim

Now....reality...

Ireland and the IRA?
Mexico and the Alamo?

Get over it.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm. . . .I don't know about the last ones on that list, but Egyptians hate Jews now, and always have; recall that all the Jews escaped from Egypt and never came back. They have a peace treaty with Israel after Egypt lost various wars to them, but that doesn't mean they like Jews. Do they even have a national anthem? I doubt it.

Germany has a different anthem since the, ahem, regrettable incidents during the 1940s. So yeah --- or at least, they hate the old anthem and songs because they lost. That's probably the fairest thing to say. They still play the oldie-badies sometimes: I heard it myself in a Heidelberg bar once. Germany is further right than they are willing to admit openly. I was surprised when I learned that, but it's becoming more obvious now.

But I agree with your point that throwing everyone and everything about the nation away is just Revolutionary France stuff, and always ends with guillotining a whole lot of people.

Perhaps having National Holidays should be banned. After all, the are not necessary and they have no reason to interfere with our work schedule.

Good idea. Especially that crazy one in February. At least until the blacks stop having such a high crime rate, they don't deserve a holiday.

Agreed. I like Cuban's idea of just not playing it. Apparently they forced him to recant that, but I thought it was a good solution.

O Canada, You Green and Mossy Thing

Frozen Tundra Impenetrable, Wolves Eat our Dead

With Blinding Hangovers Spring We Great

The True North is Fucking Cold

From Far and Wide

We Stand Drunk on the Ice

God Keep Our Broken Asses Safe

O Canada We Stand On Guard From Thee

O Canada We Stand On Guard From Thee

Good idea. Especially that crazy one in February. At least until the blacks stop having such a high crime rate, they don't deserve a holiday.

President's Day??????????? I think you are terminally confused and a racist to boot! Goodbye!

President's Day??????????? I think you are terminally confused and a racist to boot! Goodbye!
He hates George Washington.

I personally like tradition. Going to a football game and everyone singing the national anthem is a pleasant experience, and just confirms we are all part of one nation.

I'd prefer America the Beautiful to the Star Spangled Banner as the national anthem, but that is neither here nor there.

Forum List

Back