Theism, Atheism, Non-Theism

Many of you know I have studied and practiced Buddhism for many years with a healthy dose of classical Stoicism in the mix. So I do firmly believe that it doesn't matter if gods exist or not and that as Buddhism states that Right Understanding, Right thought, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action etc, are all steps on the path to enlightenment.
Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that it had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism. He asked his followers, "did I ever teach you that God existed?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I ever teach you that God didn't exist?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world is eternal?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world isn't eternal?" They said, "no." He then asked them, "what have I taught you?" They said, you have taught us suffering and the end of suffering."

He was a rationalist and a moralist. He taught that people should work out their own salvation with diligence. He was not against Hinduism. He was against the corruption which had entered into Hinduism and wanted to get back to what was important in Hinduism. He believed we crave and cling to impermanent states and things which are incapable of satisfying us. Which is very true. We are free to pursue pleasure, wealth, fame and power but none of those things will satisfy us because we were made for more.

I do not believe it matters if gods exist or not and gods are certainly not necessary in order to live a righteous life.

Thoughts?
The practical benefits of faith and spirituality are so superior to the lack of benefits of materialism that betting on theism is rational and betting on materialism is irrational. It’s not about infinite rewards after death, it is about practical rewards on the journey to death.

Many of you know I have studied and practiced Buddhism for many years with a healthy dose of classical Stoicism in the mix. So I do firmly believe that it doesn't matter if gods exist or not and that as Buddhism states that Right Understanding, Right thought, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action etc, are all steps on the path to enlightenment.
Siddhārtha Gautama was a Hindu reformist. He believed that it had become fettered. Theology, ritual, authority, grace, mystery and tradition are components of religion. He believed they had become overbalanced. Where the form had replaced the meaning. He didn't reject them. He rejected the imbalance. He was a called the rebel child of Hinduism. He asked his followers, "did I ever teach you that God existed?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I ever teach you that God didn't exist?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world is eternal?" They said, "no." He asked them, "did I teach you the world isn't eternal?" They said, "no." He then asked them, "what have I taught you?" They said, you have taught us suffering and the end of suffering."

He was a rationalist and a moralist. He taught that people should work out their own salvation with diligence. He was not against Hinduism. He was against the corruption which had entered into Hinduism and wanted to get back to what was important in Hinduism. He believed we crave and cling to impermanent states and things which are incapable of satisfying us. Which is very true. We are free to pursue pleasure, wealth, fame and power but none of those things will satisfy us because we were made for more.
I don't think I need a lesson on Buddhism from you. I've been practicing it for years. There is no need to acknowledge gods and the belief in gods is not needed to walk the Eight Fold Path.

I do not believe it matters if gods exist or not and gods are certainly not necessary in order to live a righteous life.

Thoughts?
The practical benefits of faith and spirituality are so superior to the lack of benefits of materialism that betting on theism is rational and betting on materialism is irrational. It’s not about infinite rewards after death, it is about practical rewards on the journey to death.

Buddhism is hardly a materialist philosophy.

And you still haven't proven your case that a believer in gods is somehow possessing an advantage over a nonbeliever.

Thoughts?

And you still haven't proven your case that a believer in gods is somehow possessing an advantage over a nonbeliever.
I never said Buddhism is a materialist philosophy. But if you do not believe you are more than just matter, your philosophy is a materialist philosophy.

Siddhārtha Gautama did not teach there was no God. He taught to die to self to see reality. Reality is God. And I didn't use the phrase non-believer. I used the phrase materialist which is a more descriptive term. And if you don't believe a person who is spiritual has a natural benefit over materialists then you don't understand Buddhism.

I don't think I need a lesson on Buddhism from you. I've been practicing it for years. There is no need to acknowledge gods and the belief in gods is not needed to walk the Eight Fold Path.
If you can't see how Buddhism teaches to not be a materialist, I'm not so sure that you don't need a lesson on Buddhism.

Thoughts?

I never said Buddhism is a materialist philosophy. But if you do not believe you are more than just matter, your philosophy is a materialist philosophy.

Siddhārtha Gautama did not teach there was no God. He taught to die to self to see reality. Reality is God. And I didn't use the phrase non-believer. I used the phrase materialist which is a more descriptive term. And if you don't believe a person who is spiritual has a natural benefit over materialists then you don't understand Buddhism.

I never said that Buddhism teaches that there is no god.

I said belief in gods is not required to walk the Eight Fold Path.

And spirtuality is a state of mind. The spirit is a product of the mind and does not exist apart from the mind. The mind does not exists apart from the brain, the brain does not exist apart from the body.

If you can't see how Buddhism teaches to not be a materialist, I'm not so sure that you don't need a lesson on Buddhism.

There is no teaching of eternal spirits in Buddhism. There is no creator or personal deities. Some schools may mention gods and some may even speak of cyclical rebirth but belief in these is not a requirement to walk the path

Enlightenment comes from within not from without.

Before Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.
After Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.

Thoughts?

And spirtuality is a state of mind. The spirit is a product of the mind and does not exist apart from the mind. The mind does not exists apart from the brain, the brain does not exist apart from the body.
So you are saying that Buddhism teaches that spirit is a product of mind? Sounds more like a materialist philosophy than a Buddhist philosophy.

There is no teaching of eternal spirits in Buddhism. There is no creator or personal deities. Some schools may mention gods and some may even speak of cyclical rebirth but belief in these is not a requirement to walk the path

Enlightenment comes from within not from without.

Before Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.
After Enlightenment, chop wood and carry water.
Sounds like you are practicing secular humanism.

In contrast with many Indian religious traditions, Buddhism does not regard the body and the mind or spirit as being two entirely separate entities - there is no sense in Buddhism that the body is a "vessel" that is guided or inhabited by the mind or spirit.[1]

Buddhism and the body - Wikipedia

Thoughts?

So you are saying that Buddhism teaches that spirit is a product of mind? Sounds more like a materialist philosophy than a Buddhist philosophy.
Buddhism teaches nothing regarding eternal spirits, creators or personal deities or spirituality in general.

Enlightenment is the awakening of the intellect and the realizing that nothing is permanent not even your own concept of self.

Thoughts?

Buddhism teaches nothing regarding eternal spirits, creators or personal deities or spirituality in general.

Enlightenment is the awakening of the intellect and the realizing that nothing is permanent not even your own concept of self.
I disagree. Samsara proves otherwise. Samsara proves that Buddhists do believe in eternal spirits. When the body dies the mind or spirit moves on and continues to move on eternally or until the body and mind or spirit reaches its spiritual awakening or enlightenment. Samsara also disproves that the body and mind or spirit are one as the body dies but the mind or spirit goes on to live again in a new body.

Depending on the actions performed in previous lives, rebirth could be as a human or animal or even ghosts, demi-gods, or gods. Being born as a human is seen by Buddhists as a rare opportunity to work towards escaping this cycle of samsara. The escape from samsara is called Nirvana or enlightenment.​
Once Nirvana is achieved, and the enlightened individual physically dies, Buddhists believe that they will no longer be reborn.​
The Buddha taught that when Nirvana is achieved, Buddhists are able to see the world as it really is. Nirvana means realising and accepting the Four Noble Truths and being awake to reality.​
Some Buddhists believe that enlightened individuals can choose to be reborn in order to help others become enlightened. Others believe that, when Nirvana is achieved, the cycle of samsara, all suffering and further existence for that individual itself ends.​

Last edited:

Thoughts?

And to really throw a monkey wrench into your beliefs the very basis of Buddhism is right and wrong. Something I believe you have claimed does not exist and is made up by man. Can't wait to pull on that thread with you and see what unravels.

Thoughts?

I disagree. Samsara proves otherwise. Samsara proves that Buddhists do believe in eternal spirits. When the body dies the mind or spirit moves on and continues to move on eternally or until the body and mind or spirit reaches its spiritual awakening or enlightenment. Samsara also disproves that the body and mind or spirit are one as the body dies but the mind or spirit goes on to live again in a new body.

Depending on the actions performed in previous lives, rebirth could be as a human or animal or even ghosts, demi-gods, or gods. Being born as a human is seen by Buddhists as a rare opportunity to work towards escaping this cycle of samsara. The escape from samsara is called Nirvana or enlightenment.​
Once Nirvana is achieved, and the enlightened individual physically dies, Buddhists believe that they will no longer be reborn.​
The Buddha taught that when Nirvana is achieved, Buddhists are able to see the world as it really is. Nirvana means realising and accepting the Four Noble Truths and being awake to reality.​
Some Buddhists believe that enlightened individuals can choose to be reborn in order to help others become enlightened. Others believe that, when Nirvana is achieved, the cycle of samsara, all suffering and further existence for that individual itself ends.​

It doesn't matter if some Buddhists believed in eternal spirits. That belief is not required to walk the Eight Fold Path.

There is no enduring essence or self

The self is an idea, a mental construct. That is not only the Buddha’s experience, but the experience of each realized Buddhist man and woman from 2,500 years ago to the present day. That being the case, what is it that dies? There is no question that when this physical body is no longer capable of functioning, the energies within it, the atoms and molecules it is made up of, don’t die with it. They take on another form, another shape. You can call that another life, but as there is no permanent, unchanging substance, nothing passes from one moment to the next. Quite obviously, nothing permanent or unchanging can pass or transmigrate from one life to the next.

Thoughts?

And to really throw a monkey wrench into your beliefs the very basis of Buddhism is right and wrong. Something I believe you have claimed does not exist and is made up by man. Can't wait to pull on that thread with you and see what unravels.

If nothing is permanent then neither are the concepts of right and wrong.

Thoughts?

If nothing is permanent then neither are the concepts of right and wrong.
Sounds like you just completely undermined the Eight Fold Path. right view, right resolve, right speech, right conduct, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, and right samadhi.

No such thing as right and wrong, eh?

New Topics

Forum List

Back