Sportswriter Called It About Lakers Last Year

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
Here is an article from September of 2022 where the writer explains why the Lakers won't win the 2023 championship.
I usually don't give these types of stories much credibility, but this guy pretty much called it. Westbrook would be the reason in his mind? Not just Westbrook, but the other old timers and their injuries.

The 3 reasons why the Lakers won't win the 2023 Championship:

1. The Lakers are still stuck with Russell Westbrook

"Unless Westbrook can somehow buck his recent trend of regression, the Lakers aren’t winning anything with him in the starting lineup this season. There’s going to be tension between him and the organization considering he knows they wanted to trade him, and his fit alongside James and Davis never looked natural last season. With Westbrook on board, the Lakers have no shot at winning the 2023 NBA Finals unfortunately"

It wasn't all because of Westbrook. I saw it as the failure of the supposed dynamic duo of LBJ and Anthony Davis. It's funny how both of them most likely won't be around for next season, either.

2. The Lakers starting lineup also has holes that can be exposed

Los Angeles never had a consistent starting five, and while that was partly due to injuries, it also showed how nobody on their team was doing enough to earn a starting role on an everyday basis.

3. The Lakers free agent signings aren’t massive upgrades

Their free agent signings didn't pan out.

Here is an article from September of 2022 where the writer explains why the Lakers won't win the 2023 championship.
I usually don't give these types of stories much credibility, but this guy pretty much called it. Westbrook would be the reason in his mind? Not just Westbrook, but the other old timers and their injuries.

The 3 reasons why the Lakers won't win the 2023 Championship:

1. The Lakers are still stuck with Russell Westbrook

"Unless Westbrook can somehow buck his recent trend of regression, the Lakers aren’t winning anything with him in the starting lineup this season. There’s going to be tension between him and the organization considering he knows they wanted to trade him, and his fit alongside James and Davis never looked natural last season. With Westbrook on board, the Lakers have no shot at winning the 2023 NBA Finals unfortunately"

It wasn't all because of Westbrook. I saw it as the failure of the supposed dynamic duo of LBJ and Anthony Davis. It's funny how both of them most likely won't be around for next season, either.

2. The Lakers starting lineup also has holes that can be exposed

Los Angeles never had a consistent starting five, and while that was partly due to injuries, it also showed how nobody on their team was doing enough to earn a starting role on an everyday basis.

3. The Lakers free agent signings aren’t massive upgrades

Their free agent signings didn't pan out.

They hoped the couple late additions would make the difference. At least one did in the 2 series before they played Denver.

Austin Reaves

Forum List

Back