Something is Wrong with my Old Cat

Cripes, my daughter thought they vet said to call 'around this time tomorrow' ... meaning I should have called around 9am this morning, couldn't was at the dentist, dropping kid off at work, back to the dentist to pick up other kid, four other stops before I even got home. Blarg. Once the med is gone we will see if he still eats the baby food.

Samson, next time I catch him peeing in the litterbox I'll snap a pic just for you! lol

Oh shoot, forgot to add that info. Yeah, they just did a 'senior' blood panel about six weeks ago and all results were fine. I was expecting that to show some kind of kidney issue but all the numbers were good.

He did manage to get about another 1/4 tspn of food into him and he was drinking some water and so far has kept it down. My daughter is picking up a jar of chicken baby food to see if maybe he'll lick that. I'm wondering if maybe he has a sore tooth or maybe a canker sore -- do cats even get them? They did look at his mouth the best they could but he is, uh ...let's just say he's the original grumpy cat and on a good day he wouldn't let the vet near him with a ten foot pole. If they had to sedate him some to get a good look in his mouth I'd be fine with that. He was purring for a bit and gave me some head butts. His being so wobbly earlier ... might that be from being dehydrated (although they gave him fluids yesterday) or from the throwing up? Dizzy maybe?

wow, at 15 he doesn't have a bad BUN or high creatinine level? thats one lucky cat;)

ulcer maybe?

Oh shoot, forgot to add that info. Yeah, they just did a 'senior' blood panel about six weeks ago and all results were fine. I was expecting that to show some kind of kidney issue but all the numbers were good.

He did manage to get about another 1/4 tspn of food into him and he was drinking some water and so far has kept it down. My daughter is picking up a jar of chicken baby food to see if maybe he'll lick that. I'm wondering if maybe he has a sore tooth or maybe a canker sore -- do cats even get them? They did look at his mouth the best they could but he is, uh ...let's just say he's the original grumpy cat and on a good day he wouldn't let the vet near him with a ten foot pole. If they had to sedate him some to get a good look in his mouth I'd be fine with that. He was purring for a bit and gave me some head butts. His being so wobbly earlier ... might that be from being dehydrated (although they gave him fluids yesterday) or from the throwing up? Dizzy maybe?

wow, at 15 he doesn't have a bad BUN or high creatinine level? thats one lucky cat;)

ulcer maybe?

My vet said these indoor cats are living into their mid 20s.

ulcer maybe?

That's super! PAWS - Keeping Cats Safe and Happy Inside Your Home

PAWS - People Helping Animals › Cats & Dogs › Resource Library* https://www.google.com/#q=indoor+cats+will+love+to+twenty+years

ulcer maybe?

PAWS - People Helping Animals › Cats & Dogs › Resource Library* https://www.google.com/#q=indoor+cats+will+love+to+twenty+years

One day, I decided the next time I found someone giving away kittens at Wal Mart I was going to take one and name it Kathmandu. The next week, there was someone doing that and I took one. She had worms, coccidian, and a respiratory infection. But she got well and has done well since. That was in 2006. She is good company. After years of listening to teenagers and their friends yammering all the time, I got a cat that is MUTE!~ It was meant to be!

There is another cat that comes around and hangs around outside the glass door twice a day every day. If she is asleep, I say 'Kathmandu, the big kitty is here' and she gets up and runs to the door. She had a doggie friend, but he died this spring.

Last edited:
If one wants a 'silent' cat, the manx is the way to go. Very rarely will their trills or general rumble be noticeable at all. The plus sign is if you hear a meow, go check it out.

ulcer maybe?

The cats I grew up with lived to be 18 (he got hit by a car) and 22. They were inside out cats, never had a shot. Greatest cats evah.

You might want to try Slippery Elm.

My cat Ko-Ko had some circulatory problems and every time we used it he recovered. It works wonders on the digestive system. It also helps prevent dehydration.

Slippery Elm for Dogs " Pets

I go out in the woods and get mine. The inner bark is stripped off and I put in a jar, fill it with water and after a week it makes a jelly like substance. I mix this with warm water and give it to Ko-Ko with a dropper. Two droppers full usually does the job. You can also mix it in with their food.

One day, I decided the next time I found someone giving away kittens at Wal Mart I was going to take one and name it Kathmandu. The next week, there was someone doing that and I took one. She had worms, coccidian, and a respiratory infection. But she got well and has done well since. That was in 2006. She is good company. After years of listening to teenagers and their friends yammering all the time, I got a cat that is MUTE!~ It was meant to be!

There is another cat that comes around and hangs around outside the glass door twice a day every day. If she is asleep, I say 'Kathmandu, the big kitty is here' and she gets up and runs to the door. She had a doggie friend, but he died this spring.

one of ours was silent for 15 years. He would pur, but not yowl or squeak. When he got sick the last time, the vet gave him an appetite stimulant.....

:eek::eek::eek:

it started with one meow.... then it turned into signing..... all night and all day. He found his abyssinian voice and never shut up.....

one of ours was silent for 15 years. He would pur, but not yowl or squeak. When he got sick the last time, the vet gave him an appetite stimulant.....

:eek::eek::eek:

it started with one meow.... then it turned into signing..... all night and all day. He found his abyssinian voice and never shut up.....

Ko-Ko hardly made a sound. He couldn't even purr. Now he wakes me up at night if I forget to leave the bedroom door open for him. He still doesn't meow though. He sort of mumbles.

mud -- thank you for that info, I will be looking at our holistic pet store to see if they have some. I read that it also comes in a powder form, which would work better for Shadow. I'll double check with the vet too. I find it odd that vets never ask what we feed our pets, just if they are eating normally.

Sy -- :lol: too funny!

Got an entire 3oz jar of ham baby food plus some chicken baby food into him today. :thup: Feeding him many small bits a day might be what he needs. No vomiting. I'm wondering if he ate something (no clue what) that made him sick. We don't have any type of bug traps around or anything like that, any type of cleaning product or borax or anything like that is put away. Maybe something out of a trash can? I really don't know, he isn't prone to eating things that aren't food, except chewing on plastic bags (and promptly vomiting them up on a light colored fabric) when his food is not satisfactory. Finn will try to eat non-food things, but he's only one and still full of kitten.

mud -- thank you for that info, I will be looking at our holistic pet store to see if they have some. I read that it also comes in a powder form, which would work better for Shadow. I'll double check with the vet too. I find it odd that vets never ask what we feed our pets, just if they are eating normally.

Got an entire 3oz jar of ham baby food plus some chicken baby food into him today. :thup: Feeding him many small bits a day might be what he needs. No vomiting. I'm wondering if he ate something (no clue what) that made him sick. We don't have any type of bug traps around or anything like that, any type of cleaning product or borax or anything like that is put away. Maybe something out of a trash can? I really don't know, he isn't prone to eating things that aren't food, except chewing on plastic bags (and promptly vomiting them up on a light colored fabric) when his food is not satisfactory. Finn will try to eat non-food things, but he's only one and still full of kitten.
Cats (and some dogs) will eat live insects some of which are extremely toxic -- such as brown recluse spiders.

Mike -- You know what? A couple of months ago our new cat, Finn, ate a thousand legger (house centipede) that was in the basement. The cat was only about 8 or 9 months old at the time. I found the few leggy remains of the bug -- it was BIG. He threw up everything he ate for a day or two but other than that he was fine. But I'm pretty sure the bug is what made him vom.

I wonder if Shadow ate such a bug and it made him sick? Or even a spider, but they don't last long in here because ... well, they're a freakin' SPIDER! :eek:

P.S..My toes curled up when I read 'brown recluse spider'.. Ack, they just did it again.

Did they do any blood work to look for kidney issues or something like that?

I would think an xray would be the next thing to do.

Good luck.

I think the cat needs to pee in a cup to get Kidney function results.

:eusa_shifty:

Please post pics.

When one of my cats needed his urine tested, the vet gave me some special beads of plastic...you put them in a cat box instead of kitty litter. Then you can keep the cat locked in a room with the box, if necessary, until he pees in it. Then you can bring the pee, beads and all to the vet.

Mike -- You know what? A couple of months ago our new cat, Finn, ate a thousand legger (house centipede) that was in the basement. The cat was only about 8 or 9 months old at the time. I found the few leggy remains of the bug -- it was BIG. He threw up everything he ate for a day or two but other than that he was fine. But I'm pretty sure the bug is what made him vom.

I wonder if Shadow ate such a bug and it made him sick? Or even a spider, but they don't last long in here because ... well, they're a freakin' SPIDER! :eek:

P.S..My toes curled up when I read 'brown recluse spider'.. Ack, they just did it again.

Cats (and some dogs) will eat live insects some of which are extremely toxic -- such as brown recluse spiders.

Mine has completely rid my house of the house lizards that had taken over. No one lived in this house from the time it was built in 1978 so they thought they owned it. They would come in under the glass doors. She caught one over the track and it peed in the track. Haven't had one since. I think it gave off an odor. But she does catch all the insects that are fool enough to come it. There is nothing she loves better than catching a fly.

Shadow ate about 1/4 can of Friskies turkey cat food some time over night!! Fingers crossed that today is a repeat. Plumber is here right now :mad: ... both cats are in hiding for the duration.

Just a quick update. Shadow's appetite has picked up tremendously. He was mainly on the baby food, then ate cat food last night and just ate his third cat food meal today. On Tues and Wed I was sure his days were numbered; now he seems like himself again. He's even snoozing on the sofa instead of holding up in my daughter's room. Hopefully this isn't a false improvement but so far, he seems like he's over it though. Don't know what the cause of his illness was or if it was something weird he got a hold of and ate. A mystery to ponder. Thank you all so much for you input and well wishes! :)

Oh, the vet did call me back today and sounded just as surprised as we were when I told her he was eating again.

Last edited:
Just a quick update. Shadow's appetite has picked up tremendously. He was mainly on the baby food, then ate cat food last night and just ate his third cat food meal today. On Tues and Wed I was sure his days were numbered; now he seems like himself again. He's even snoozing on the sofa instead of holding up in my daughter's room. Hopefully this isn't a false improvement but so far, he seems like he's over it though. Don't know what the cause of his illness was or if it was something weird he got a hold of and ate. A mystery to ponder. Thank you all so much for you input and well wishes! :)

Oh, the vet did call me back today and sounded just as surprised as we were when I told her he was eating again.

sounds like good news

Forum List

Back