Snippets of Music from 60 Years Ago...

asaratis

Uppity Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2009
Stockbridge
This is far from a full string of performers and singing groups from the 1960s as it does not include some great ones like Ricky Nelson, Carl Perkins, Roy Orbison and others (perhaps they didn't appear on Ed Sullivan's "really big sche-oh"), but a lot of my contemporaries will likely remember these artists without reading their names.

I happened to catch a 1959 movie "Go Johnny Go" starring Alan Freed, Chuck Berry and Jimmy Clanton on Turner home videos. It featured Eddie Cochran and Richie Valens. Valens would be killed in a plane crash soon after the movie was released and Cochran would be killed in a year in a car accident. Freed would be dead within about two years. Kind of creepy.

I happened to catch a 1959 movie "Go Johnny Go" starring Alan Freed, Chuck Berry and Jimmy Clanton on Turner home videos. It featured Eddie Cochran and Richie Valens. Valens would be killed in a plane crash soon after the movie was released and Cochran would be killed in a year in a car accident. Freed would be dead within about two years. Kind of creepy.
and Gene Vincent was seriously injured in that same car accident that killed Cochran he was riding with him........

It seems that pop musicians are killed in private plane crashes way above the norm. The "day the music died" the Big Bopper, Richie Valens and Buddy Holly 1959. Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins 1963. Otis Redding and his band 1967, Lynard Skynard 77. Ricky Nelson 85 and Stevie Ray Vaughn 90. Did I leave out anyone?

It seems that pop musicians are killed in private plane crashes way above the norm. The "day the music died" the Big Bopper, Richie Valens and Buddy Holly 1959. Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins 1963. Otis Redding and his band 1967, Lynard Skynard 77. Ricky Nelson 85 and Stevie Ray Vaughn 90. Did I leave out anyone?
Randy Rhoads.....82.....

Bad decisions and bad luck. Patsy Cline opted for a ride in a plane with an untrained pilot that wasn't instrument rated. Lynard Skynard picked a hunk of junk that ran out of gas. Rumor had it that everybody on Ricky Nelson's light plane was high on dope. John Denver was piloting an ultra-light and apparently couldn't remember how to switch the gas tank when he was running out of gas. Croce's pilot allegedly had a heart attack. Stevie Ray's helicopter pilot failed to note the nearby ski lifts when he took off.

Forum List

Back