Should States build housing for public servants on public land?

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
This was a opinion piece that deals with Virginia but it could apply country-wide I guess given how housing is so expensive.

Almost 60% of tenants in Virginia faced a rent increase last year. Localities are regulating starter homes out of existence. The rate of evictions is quickly returning to pre-pandemic levels. The statewide median home sales price broke $390,000 last spring. The commonwealth’s housing crisis can seem like something of an onion: each layer peels back to reveal one smellier than the next — and too much time peering into it could leave you in tears.

However, Virginia’s worsening woes surrounding high housing costs have recently garnered the attention of state leaders from the Governor’s Mansion to the General Assembly. A whole host of bills proposed this session offer ideas on how to make housing more affordable, but the state and local governments could already be sitting on one solution: public lands.

Public land for public servants​

Earlier this month Del. Schuyler VanValkenburg, D-Henrico introduced a resolution requesting that the Department of Housing and Community Development “study ways to increase affordable housing options for public servants on publicly owned property.” Although HJ 490 was ultimately laid on the table (lawmaker lingo for “killed”) earlier this week, its contents will be conveyed to DHCD for consideration via a letter suggesting agency action on a suite of proposals delegates and senators have put forward this session.

Although the statewide stats on the housing crisis are concerning, VanValkenburg introduced his study bill because of issues facing his own constituents.

“Henrico is ahead of the game on this issue, but we have an affordability problem in that folks who work at Short Pump can’t afford to live near there,” he said. “We’re increasingly seeing public servants in western Henrico moving out to Hanover, Goochland, and Powhatan. Eventually those folks stop teaching, policing, and fire fighting in Henrico because the commute is a killer. Once someone has been in your county for a while they have built up skills, knowledge and relationships that we don’t want to lose.”

More....

I've seen such "worker housing" schemes proposed by private builders using their own land/money but when you dug down it was going to be Section 8 housing and usually rejected.

The only way I could see it working is if municipal employees had to contract to live/work in the area for so many years. I could also easily see a future dem legislature turning the whole thing into regular Section 8 housing.

Given that it's a dem proposing it I am automatically on guard for shenanigans but on it's face it might have merit if honest people applied themselves to it.

For example the State of Virginia has all kinds of land around closed prisons near population centers that could be utilized. Even the surviving prisons themselves could be made into apartments/condos given their solid brick construction.

I know of one (the building is gone) but there's 180 acres of prime land just sitting in NOtVA (Prince William Co.) along Rt. 15 that could be used for such a project and the lay of the land is perfect as it can't be seen from the main road.

My first home was a "starter home", a ranch on .25 acre, 1K sq. ft 3B-1B on a crawl-space, brick construction that I gave 30K for in 1978....The builder built five of them....Nice solid little homes.....One sold for near 300K last month! No fuckin' way they are really worth that.

One of my old neighbors still owns the one he had and he gets $1200.00 a month in rent and he said he could easily get $1400.00.

I don't have any answers but something has got to give.

I think states should buy/build housing for their Representatives in DC.
It is worth the investment as Senators/Congress members must maintain two homes

I think states should buy/build housing for their Representatives in DC.
It is worth the investment as Senators/Congress members must maintain two homes
I knew a guy who made a pretty good money back in Texas. He did other things too but what he would do is buy mobile homes and have them taken to one of the closest mobile home parks near a Texas prison. They put these massive prisons out toward the middle of nowhere--Kenedy, Beeville, Dilley, etc... He'd rent them out to CO's and prison staff. A lot of guys would rent it with a buddy and they'd have their real homes in San Antonio, Laredo, Rockport, etc...

"Public Servants" is an oxymoron. For the most part they are "Public Masters" who bribe politicians with campaign contributions to receive inflated benefits in comparison with Private Sector employment.

This was a opinion piece that deals with Virginia but it could apply country-wide I guess given how housing is so expensive.

Almost 60% of tenants in Virginia faced a rent increase last year. Localities are regulating starter homes out of existence. The rate of evictions is quickly returning to pre-pandemic levels. The statewide median home sales price broke $390,000 last spring. The commonwealth’s housing crisis can seem like something of an onion: each layer peels back to reveal one smellier than the next — and too much time peering into it could leave you in tears.

However, Virginia’s worsening woes surrounding high housing costs have recently garnered the attention of state leaders from the Governor’s Mansion to the General Assembly. A whole host of bills proposed this session offer ideas on how to make housing more affordable, but the state and local governments could already be sitting on one solution: public lands.

Public land for public servants​

Earlier this month Del. Schuyler VanValkenburg, D-Henrico introduced a resolution requesting that the Department of Housing and Community Development “study ways to increase affordable housing options for public servants on publicly owned property.” Although HJ 490 was ultimately laid on the table (lawmaker lingo for “killed”) earlier this week, its contents will be conveyed to DHCD for consideration via a letter suggesting agency action on a suite of proposals delegates and senators have put forward this session.

Although the statewide stats on the housing crisis are concerning, VanValkenburg introduced his study bill because of issues facing his own constituents.

“Henrico is ahead of the game on this issue, but we have an affordability problem in that folks who work at Short Pump can’t afford to live near there,” he said. “We’re increasingly seeing public servants in western Henrico moving out to Hanover, Goochland, and Powhatan. Eventually those folks stop teaching, policing, and fire fighting in Henrico because the commute is a killer. Once someone has been in your county for a while they have built up skills, knowledge and relationships that we don’t want to lose.”

More....

I've seen such "worker housing" schemes proposed by private builders using their own land/money but when you dug down it was going to be Section 8 housing and usually rejected.

The only way I could see it working is if municipal employees had to contract to live/work in the area for so many years. I could also easily see a future dem legislature turning the whole thing into regular Section 8 housing.

Given that it's a dem proposing it I am automatically on guard for shenanigans but on it's face it might have merit if honest people applied themselves to it.

For example the State of Virginia has all kinds of land around closed prisons near population centers that could be utilized. Even the surviving prisons themselves could be made into apartments/condos given their solid brick construction.

I know of one (the building is gone) but there's 180 acres of prime land just sitting in NOtVA (Prince William Co.) along Rt. 15 that could be used for such a project and the lay of the land is perfect as it can't be seen from the main road.

Nope.

Forum List

Back