Self medicating with Chloroquine

EvMetro

Platinum Member
Mar 10, 2017
It looks like some folks are trying to self medicate with chloroquine, but this looks like a dangerous idea.

Last edited:
Looks like chloroquine comes from the bark of cinchona trees, and there are over the counter products that have this stuff in them. I read on a box of Hylands leg cramp medication that it contains something like this. I'm not sure if the leg cramp medication contains the same stuff that the man died from in the fish tank stuff in the opening post.

Fish tank cleaner and Malaria meds not one in the same. Its too bad that some people jump to the conclusion it is and the accusations start flying.

Quinine comes from Cinchona bark which has been used for thousands of years. Chloroquine for Malaria is a man-made version by the pharmaceutical industry. It was developed in the 1940's as a substitute for quinine which can be very toxic too.

Fish tank cleaner and Malaria meds not one in the same. Its too bad that some people jump to the conclusion it is and the accusations start flying.

Quinine comes from Cinchona bark which has been used for thousands of years. Chloroquine for Malaria is a man-made version by the pharmaceutical industry. It was developed in the 1940's as a substitute for quinine which can be very toxic too.
How about this leg cramp medication from hylands? Here are the ingredients:
Cinchona Officinalis 3X HPUS: pains in limbs & joints
Aconitum Napellus 6X HPUS: pains in joints, legs
Gnaphalium Polycephalum 3X HPUS: cramps in calves & feet
Ledum Palustre 6X HPUS: pain and cramps in legs
Magnesia Phosphorica 6X HPUS: cramps in calves
Rhus Toxicodendron 6X HPUS: pain and stiffness
Viscum Album 3X HPUS: pains in joints

“HPUS” indicates the active ingredients are in the official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States.

Darwin award to this guy.
Too late. At his age he was unlikely to contribute again to the gene pool, so technically ineligible for Darwin award, and neither is she. Times article said the woman spotted it on the shelf, and realized the main ingredient same as what the president spoke of. Appearently she gave it to him or they decided jointly to self medicate. Not bright. If they did pass down their genes, you probably want to avoid their kids. Thinking like that probably does run in families.

Too late. At his age he was unlikely to contribute again to the gene pool, so technically ineligible for Darwin award, and neither is she. Times article said the woman spotted it on the shelf, and realized the main ingredient same as what the president spoke of. Appearently she gave it to him or they decided jointly to self medicate. Not bright. If they did pass down their genes, you probably want to avoid their kids. Thinking like that probably does run in families.

Good grief.

Looks like chloroquine comes from the bark of cinchona trees, and there are over the counter products that have this stuff in them. I read on a box of Hylands leg cramp medication that it contains something like this. I'm not sure if the leg cramp medication contains the same stuff that the man died from in the fish tank stuff in the opening post.
I heard a couple used something that goes in a fish tank to self medicate that contains it. They paid the price.

“HPUS” indicates the active ingredients are in the official Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States.
How bout it? I have no clue as it is not something I have looked into or studied about.

I ordered Cinchona bark to add to our herbal medicine chest but I spent about a week looking at every bit and piece of information I could possibly find before doing that. I made some tincture after I got it and used it very sparingly to see if it would work on my RLS. I then used it when I got back from a road trip along with a bit of Licorice root tincture, Zinc and some essential oils in my vaporizer in case I picked up any stray viruses along the way on my long road trip. A week later no signs of catching anything and no side effects but again I spent many hours researching before using anything and then I try with extreme caution.

The couple was old enough to know better than to eat something they don't understand, but something was missing upstairs.

How bout it? I have no clue as it is not something I have looked into or studied about.

I ordered Cinchona bark to add to our herbal medicine chest but I spent about a week looking at every bit and piece of information I could possibly find before doing that. I made some tincture after I got it and used it very sparingly to see if it would work on my RLS. I then used it when I got back from a road trip along with a bit of Licorice root tincture, Zinc and some essential oils in my vaporizer in case I picked up any stray viruses along the way on my long road trip. A week later no signs of catching anything and no side effects but again I spent many hours researching before using anything and then I try with extreme caution.
That sounds like a reasonable approach.

I heard a couple used something that goes in a fish tank to self medicate that contains it. They paid the price.
Kinda reminds me of the couple in the articles linked in the opening post...

That sounds like a reasonable approach.
I'm a firm believer in vitamins (by food stuffs or supplement), minerals, Licorice root and some of the essential oils for most bugs floating around out there. If not used properly or over used though like anything they can cause more health issues than they solve.

Good grief.
My daughter and her family including my young grandkids, as well as one of my sons live in same town, we do, and it put my wife's mind at ease. Happy wife, happy life...:)

Forum List

Back