Russian Nuclear Threat to Poland?

Which means what? What problem could Russia possibly have with a defense system? Other than the fact it hampers their ability to do EXACTLY what they're doing in Georgia.

A defensive system that is aimed towards Iran, not Russia. Question on the table I'd think, why would Russia not want defenses against Iranian missiles? Perhaps so they could 'move in' as the defenders?

Free Preview of Members-Only Content | Stratfor

The above link from June is very interesting in relation to what has occurred over the past week.

Ya cause Putin is to stupid to know he loses in an all out Nuclear war, too. It is not about nukes at all, it is about forcing Poland to do what Putin wants. A shield restricts his ability to bring pressure to bear because it includes US troops in country. He can not just roll his tanks into Poland then like he did in Georgia.

You and I are talking about two different things now ... I get it ... what concerns me is that we are putting more troops on the paranoid Russian's doorstep ... they tend to react to things like that ... deterioration of relations between the U.S. and Russia and escalation between the two nations is what worries me ... not Russia's sphere of influence in their own region.

You mean the 1 1/2" plastic and wood composite desks wont protect people from a nuclear fallout ... damn ... I need to rethink what material to use for my siding now ...

:lol: You may wanna watch what you eat and breath tho--nasty bugs and chemicals that don't destroy the land you want to take.

FT.com / World - Missile shield accord draws Russian fire

*facepalm*

Gee ... didn't see that one coming ... way to go W.

The missile system is GOING IN, period, no matter what the Russians think. It has been approved by NATO and accepted by Poland, and it WILL go in. And you can bet it will be protected by several Patriot Missile SAM batteries as well as an entire Wing of NATO Strike Fighters. The Russians would lose every last aircraft if they even tried....which they won't.

The Russians will have to leave sovereign Georgian territory soon or face massive economic embargo. Which the Russians simply cannot endure. Contrary to what many seem to think here, the Russian economy is still in shambles, even with their energy supplies.

It is perception ... it's proven by the Russian reaction ... we are escalating ... falling right back into the old way of doing things.

Which has worked for hundreds of years. You fight force with force. It's the only way to down a tyrant, it's the only thing the understand. The missile system is going to go in, there is no doubt about that, no matter how much the Russians whine like two year olds.

And they will be forced to leave Georgia. The Russians, in the end, are militarily impotent. They cannot stand up to the West for even a single week. Their forces are dilapidated, outdated, poorly maintained and even more poorly trained.

The missile system is GOING IN, period, no matter what the Russians think. It has been approved by NATO and accepted by Poland, and it WILL go in. And you can bet it will be protected by several Patriot Missile SAM batteries as well as an entire Wing of NATO Strike Fighters. The Russians would lose every last aircraft if they even tried....which they won't.

I know that ... it's already been made clear.

The Russians will have to leave sovereign Georgian territory soon or face massive economic embargo. Which the Russians simply cannot endure. Contrary to what many seem to think here, the Russian economy is still in shambles, even with their energy supplies.

Though I agree that the Russian economy is by no means strong I wouldn't bet a massive economic embargo is coming.

The US screwed the pooch by setting a precedent in Iraq.

Which has worked for hundreds of years. You fight force with force. It's the only way to down a tyrant, it's the only thing the understand. The missile system is going to go in, there is no doubt about that, no matter how much the Russians whine like two year olds.

And they will be forced to leave Georgia. The Russians, in the end, are militarily impotent. They cannot stand up to the West for even a single week. Their forces are dilapidated, outdated, poorly maintained and even more poorly trained.

Strong words ... you seem to think that the US is capable of bullying Russia back on this ... I have my doubts.

I know that ... it's already been made clear.

Though I agree that the Russian economy is by no means strong I wouldn't bet a massive economic embargo is coming.

The US screwed the pooch by setting a precedent in Iraq.

The precedent set in Iraq, is we will take you out if you push us too far, and we will do it on our own if the rest of the world doesn't agree. That's the good part of being the world's only Superpower.

The precedent set in Iraq, is we will take you out if you push us too far, and we will do it on our own if the rest of the world doesn't agree. That's the good part of being the world's only Superpower.

And that's exactly the kind of hubris we need to drop ... it's all going to come back around some day.

Strong words ... you seem to think that the US is capable of bullying Russia back on this ... I have my doubts.

Sure we are. We can't do anything much, militarily with ground troops, but Europe and the US can make things VERY painful for Russia if they don't. In three years the Europeans will no longer be dependent on gas pipelines going through Russian territory as they are building a new one to supply them through the former Soviet states of South Asia and through Turkey, bypassing the current lines. We can hurt Russian A LOT more than Russia could hurt Europe.

And we still put carrier task force into the Black Sea and launch air strikes on Russian forces in Georgia, quite easily from our bases in Iraq, if it ever came to that.....and they KNOW it in the end that they will have to leave.

Sure we are. We can't do anything much, militarily with ground troops, but Europe and the US can make things VERY painful for Russia if they don't. In three years the Europeans will no longer be dependent on gas pipelines going through Russian territory as they are building a new one to supply them through the former Soviet states of South Asia and through Turkey, bypassing the current lines. We can hurt Russian A LOT more than Russia could hurt Europe.

And we still put carrier task force into the Black Sea and launch air strikes on Russian forces in Georgia, quite easily from our bases in Iraq, if it ever came to that.....and they KNOW it in the end that they will have to leave.

Yeah ... and push them further and further and further into a corner then act outraged when they decide to hit us.

9/11 happened ... we can be hit.

Russians are a lot of things, but terrorists are not one of them. They only thing they could theoretically do is launch Nuclear weapons, which they won't. There is nothing, conventionally, they can do to us.

Russians are a lot of things, but terrorists are not one of them. They only thing they could theoretically do is launch Nuclear weapons, which they won't. There is nothing, conventionally, they can do to us.

What's stopping them from doing it via proxy?

Some money here ... some technology there ... maybe a nuke ends up in someone willing to use it's hands ...

What's stopping them from doing it via proxy?

Some money here ... some technology there ... maybe a nuke ends up in someone willing to use it's hands ...

The only groups left in the world today willing to do that sort of thing are sworn enemies of the Russians, Islamic militants. And any nuclear weapon terrorist attack would be responded to with a very large US NUCLEAR counterstrike.

art, have you been out of touch for a couple years?
this has been in planning stages for at least 2 years

The only groups left in the world today willing to do that sort of thing are sworn enemies of the Russians, Islamic militants. And any nuclear weapon terrorist attack would be responded to with a very large US NUCLEAR counterstrike.

I agree that Russia would not loose nukes. However, they may very well roll into many neighboring countries. As for their 'sworn enemies' proof of consort between them and Iran is easy to find. There is a possible proxy. Then there are ties between North Korea and Iran/Pakistan via nukes. Also Syria, so many proxies, so little time.

It is a nice addition to Poland. If it works to keep them free that's great. i don't see how it upsets the balance of power because it is not an offensive system.

Problem being the rhetoric coming from the White House and the timing of the deal.

What do you think we'd do if tomorrow the Russians place a missile defense system back in Cuba?

This is unnecessary escalation and provocation from Washington.

So we just let Russia invade any country they want????

Forum List

Back