Prison reform for those with common sense

Si
Our prison system allows violent criminals to be paroled after a certain amount of time, which is decided by a judge. A judge who doesn't know when the criminal will "fit for society." After a certain amount of time, they have to be released, whether they still have violent tendencies or not. This also include non violent criminals, like thieves.

My idea is to do away with the sentencing process, and replace it with a "you stay in prison, until you're fit for society" sentence. One size fits all.
FYI, this is the short version. So if I've left something out, don't rag on me. Try to think of how something would work before you ask the question or slander the idea.

Prisons would be set up on much larger area's and divided into 4 different groups.
D area: Violent criminals, Housed about the way they're set up now. Two people to a cell. Very little freedoms. 1/2 hour of outside time. Closely guarded from each other, drugs and just about everything. Hard work for at least 8 to 10 hours per day. 4 hours of education time. Schedule bed down (9 pm to 5:30 am)

C Area: Larger cells, with 2 to a cell. TV's, rec area's with longer rec time. Less strenuous work for 8 hours a day. .50cents per hour pay. 4 hours of education. 2 hour of rehab (with several inmates joining in) 2 hours of rec. Schedule bed down (10pm to 6am)

B: Area Apartments Like 2 bd 1 bath. Living room & TV. 6hr of work (about like area C. 6 hours of education. 2 hours of rehab with less inmates attending. 2 hours of rec. Same bedtime schedule.

A: Area: 1bd 1bth duplex type housing. Education 4hrs per day. 4 hours of work. Access to the outside of prison for work.

It starts out hard AF. Working, school, counseling, food, shower and sleep. No visitations. Phone calls twice a month to the outside world. Crappy food. Crappy living quarters. Mean AF guards. Nothing coming in or going out of this area that's not inspected by at least 2 guards. Area D is serious business. And it's a 3 strikes and your out, unless the offence is serious. Like murder, gang style beating of another inmate. Gangs are STRICTLY prohibited. During class, drone video's of NML (No mans land) to show what happens in NML. (I'll explain NML later)
No one progresses to C area, until a prisoner is ready for C area. Managing who moves up, will be based on reports from guards, counselors and educators. And a B average minimum. Basics being taught. But having the ability to go to Area C education, if prisoner is capable of more than basics.
Once moved to C area, prisoners are forced to focus more on rehab and education. And an easier job will be granted in C area. Since no prisoner will be able to be fully set free without at least an associates degree in education. Or a completion of a trade with at least a "top hand" achievement.
For the entire process, prisoners will be monitored, graded and counseled. So by the time they're released back into society, they're ready for it. And they understand not only why they were put there, but what it takes to live in a free society. How to recognize a bad situation and also how to just walk away from one. How to avoid situations with certain people, that will land them back in jail or prison.
And they'll have the education and knowledge to be at least somewhat successful in the free world.

Now, if someone screws up, they get sent back to the area they just came from. If it's a bad fuck up, they could be sent back to D area. And start all over again. 3 strikes, and it's NML.

<<<NML>>>Those that can't be rehabilitated, Upon start up, there will be some sort of shelter. But no lights, heat or A/C. People from the outside world can donate clothes, blankets and things. But they will be dropped into the "compound," where first come first serve get it. There are no guards. Upon start up, I'm not sure how these people will be fed. Maybe someone could throw in an idea about that. But after year from start up, they'll have to figure out how they're going to feed themselves. They're put on land with only a few things they need to survive. They're given seeds. They have access to water. Also, they're given lumber, plywood, shingles, tar paper, nails, hammers, saws, shovels, hoes and post hole diggers to build their own shelters. If they kill each other, then so be it. If they survive, then so be it. These people will never see the light of the free world again. They will never have contact with the outside world. There will be a "Trump" like wall all around the facility. One door going in. And a place to bring out their dead. It will truly be a no mans land.
If they plant a garden, and some lunatic destroys all their plants, that's on them for not guarding it. <<< See what I mean? It's their own world. Drones could fly over and video tape the severity of the NML, to show prisoners in D area (as a deterrent). Like when someone gets beaten to death by a gang. Video recordings to play for people during their counseling sessions. Or pictures of people who have starved to death, because others won't allow him to eat.
You know, gruesome stuff.
Remember, just in case you're one of those soft hearted kind of people, these are murderers, child molesters and other violent criminals who have already had 3 chances to become rehabilitated and fit for society. But failed each time. People that under the current system, would have probably be set free back into society to reek havoc on us decent folks again.

All of this would be extremely expensive at first. But not for long. There's ways of getting money from the private sector that'll help pay for a lot of it. All sorts of "for profit" manufacturing could go on inside a prison.
For example: A company that makes window unit A/C's. The company could pay the prison $10 to $15hr per prisoner. The prison system put's .50cent per hour into each prisoners release fund. (Money he/she can only get once released completely) And pays the prisoner say .25cents per hour for his/her needs (soap, shampoo etc etc etc The rest of the money goes to cover over head. Electricity, water, food, guards, counselors, doctors etc etc
In fact, there could be a few manufacturing companies inside each prison. Of course D, C, B & A area prisoners would be completely separated in those plants.

The end result would be less criminals returning to prison. By the time each prisoner is set free, he's either educated with a degree or has a good trade. Plus the "release fund" would help him/her get a place to live, food to eat and a chance to start a new life without welfare.
Let's do the math: .50 cents per hour X 60hrs per week: That comes out to be about $15,000 to $16,000 if the prisoner takes 10 years to complete the program. if 5 years, then it's half that. But still $6,000 is enough to get by on for a few months until you get sorted.

The important parts:
1. It pays for itself in the long run because prisoners will more than likely not return.
2. Private companies foot the bill for most of the costs.
3. Those who can't be rehabilitated won't be on death row for 15 years soaking up tax payer $$$$ on appeal after appeal. In fact, we can just do away with the death penalty all together. Which means, some child molesting MF can hopefully live a long long time in terror, torture and grief. Which is fitting for a child molester, if you ask me.
4. I think a 10 year max should be placed on all this. If a person cant straighten up and become fit for society in 10 years, he probably will never be. But in all honesty, those that can't be rehabilitated, will probably use up their 3 strikes within a couple of years.

Also, one more thing to note. There will still be city and county jails for those who aren't guilty of a violent crime. But even then, if they commit too many crimes, it can be up to a judge as to whether they're sent to prison. I think a limit of 90 days in a city or county jail should be set. Anything longer than that, then to a prison they go.

Anywho, please forgive my misspelled words. It's late and I'm pooped. And I don't think I can proof read this tonight. If you have a better idea that would make this system work better (like how to feed the people in NML's at start up), then by all means, post it.
Simply put we could do much better. Hopefully in 500 years we look back to how uncivilized we are now.

Forum List

Back