President Obama Ordered the CDC to Study Gun Violence and......

Here's an actual fact for you all:

Gun ownership has been going up, and crimes of all kinds have been going down. There still is murder with a gun, but there are lives and property saved with guns as well.

There isn't a problem with the gun, there is only a problem with people.

I just can't buy into the whole "more guns = more crime" idea. In Alaska everyone and their dog has a gun and really gun crime wasn't a problem (...until like a couple years ago and I try really, really hard not to blame it on the Syrian immigrants that got moved in, but I find myself failing to always not feel that way.)

Regardless, Alaska's like 69% carry in the city and 90% outside it. I've been around guns my entire life, everyone was military, I worked on a gun range, I live right next to a bomb range and military base... It's more unusual /not/ to see folks with guns where I live. Yet my city has an almost zero crime rate; we have a robbery and the entire town freaks out for years over it - even after the guy is caught and locked up. We're /still/ yelling at Anchorage for more patrols because of a robbery three years ago; which I find rather funny because like half the police force lives out here already lol

I just can't buy into the whole "more guns = more crime" idea. In Alaska everyone and their dog has a gun and really gun crime wasn't a problem (...until like a couple years ago and I try really, really hard not to blame it on the Syrian immigrants that got moved in, but I find myself failing to always not feel that way.)

Regardless, Alaska's like 69% carry in the city and 90% outside it. I've been around guns my entire life, everyone was military, I worked on a gun range, I live right next to a bomb range and military base... It's more unusual /not/ to see folks with guns where I live. Yet my city has an almost zero crime rate; we have a robbery and the entire town freaks out for years over it - even after the guy is caught and locked up. We're /still/ yelling at Anchorage for more patrols because of a robbery three years ago; which I find rather funny because like half the police force lives out here already lol

That illustrates the exact problem with the gun grabbing dogma. They want to blame the gun. They want to blame the tool used and not the real issue. The real issue is the culture. I call it the "why". The gun grabbers want to blame the "how" and ignore the "why". Unfortunately until we address the "why", people will continue to die.

But it isn't about saving lives with them. That's the big lie. It's about control of people, about winning, and the consequences be damned.

Liberals are the scum of the earth.

so none of you are going to address that the op is based on an article form a fake news site?
A fake news site? Because it doesn't fit your agenda? Typical lib. If reality disagrees, obviously something is wrong with reality.
no, because it's not a real news site. look at the headlines on the front page. clickbait, every single one. no reputable news site does that.
look at the name and logo. they're trying to borrow credibility from u.s. news and world report.

it's a fake news site.

so none of you are going to address that the op is based on an article form a fake news site?
A fake news site? Because it doesn't fit your agenda? Typical lib. If reality disagrees, obviously something is wrong with reality.
no, because it's not a real news site. look at the headlines on the front page. clickbait, every single one. no reputable news site does that.
look at the name and logo. they're trying to borrow credibility from u.s. news and world report.

it's a fake news site.
So what are the real stats?

it's a fake news site.

Here you go....a source closer to your heart...since your brain can't process the truth, facts or reality...

Ten Surprising Findings From a New Report on Gun Violence

Earlier this year, President Obama ordered the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to assess the existing research on gun violence and recommend future studies. That report, prepared by the Institute of Medicine and the National Research Council, isnow complete. Its findings won’t entirely please the Obama administration or the NRA, but all of us should consider them. Here’s a list of the 10 most salient or surprising takeaways.

7. Guns are used for self-defense often and effectively. “Almost all national survey estimates indicate that defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year … in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008,” says the report. The three million figure is probably high, “based on an extrapolation from a small number of responses taken from more than 19 national surveys.” But a much lower estimate of 108,000 also seems fishy, “because respondents were not asked specifically about defensive gun use.” Furthermore, “Studies that directly assessed the effect of actual defensive uses of guns (i.e., incidents in which a gun was 'used' by the crime victim in the sense of attacking or threatening an offender) have found consistently lower injury rates among gun-using crime victims compared with victims who used other self-protective strategies.”

I like this one too...

2. Most indices of crime and gun violence are getting better, not worse. “Overall crime rates have declined in the past decade, and violent crimes, including homicides specifically, have declined in the past 5 years,” the report notes. “Between 2005 and 2010, the percentage of firearm-related violent victimizations remained generally stable.” Meanwhile, “firearm-related death rates for youth ages 15 to 19 declined from 1994 to 2009.” Accidents are down, too: “Unintentional firearm-related deaths have steadily declined during the past century. The number of unintentional deaths due to firearm-related incidents accounted for less than 1 percent of all unintentional fatalities in 2010.”

Forum List

Back