Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Judge Rosemary Collyet

Power of the Purse: Does the US House Have Standing to Sue? Judge says "Yes"

Jonathan Turley:
FEDERAL COURT RULES THAT HOUSE HAS STANDING IN HISTORIC CHALLENGE

The House’s entire legal team would like, first and foremost, to express its gratitude and respect for Judge Rosemary Collyer in issuing this historic and profound decision. The opinion is attached below. -- ( here it is: https://jonathanturley.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/burwell-order-sept-9-2015.pdf )

The ruling today means that the United States House of Representatives now will be heard on an issue that drives to the very heart of our constitutional system: the control of the legislative branch over the “power of the purse.” We are eager to present the House’s merits arguments to the Court and remain confident that our position will ultimately prevail in establishing the unconstitutional conduct alleged in this lawsuit.

Jonathan Turley
Lead Counsel, United States House of Representatives v. Burwell

The latest argument :

Turley, who is the third lawyer to take the case after the first two quit, argued that what the president was doing in going around the appropriations process was an affront to a key power of Congress: the power of the purse. He said using a permanent appropriation to pay insurance companies rendered Congress’s control over appropriations “effectively decorative.”

While this particular set of oral arguments was over standing, there was hardly a mention of the original inspiration for the lawsuit: the president’s delay of the employer mandate. While that debate would occur at a later hearing if the judge reaches the actual case, the House’s argument seems to have shifted.
Turley told reporters after the oral arguments that the specific damage the House had endured — why the House has standing in this case — was because the executive branch was damaging the power of the purse.
Obamacare Lawsuit Judge Sharply Questions Justice Lawyer
----------------------

I think more than a few arguments have been used so far:
l wonder what conservatives and other opponents of the ruling by Chief Justice Roberts think about a case with more than one argument? I remember when the Obama administration used two separate arguments (Commerce Clause and the power to tax -- with precedent for a fee functioning as a tax for constitutional purposes) on why the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) should be ruled constitutional, and Roberts used the second argument to uphold the law, he was accused of making it up, when in reality it had been argued that way.

I'm disappointed in Democratic Leader Pelosi's argument:

Pelosi told reporters at her weekly news conference she's confident that Wednesday's ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Rosemary Collyer will be overturned...

Pelosi called that ruling "astounding" and unprecedented. She says congressional Republicans "have tried 60 ways to repeal the Affordable Care Act and I believe this will be overturned."

The California Democrat says an appeals court "will not want to be an arbiter" in a dispute between the legislative and executive branches.

Pelosi: Judge's ruling in health care lawsuit 'astounding'
She is not addressing the legal arguments or the Judge's ruling. I expect more from her as she is no Boehner.

Obiwan
Read the Constitution...

Obozo and Pelosi didn't.
reading and comprehension a struggle for you?

What do you think you are addressing as an issue here?
The OP...

The money can't be spent unless Congress passes the spending bill...
While I agree with the reasoning on Turley's arguments and the Judge's arguments in her ruling...

I fail to see a coherent statement from you that addresses anything in a substantive way.

what is your point?

I agree that the House has standing. Of all the branches of government the house is SUPPOSED to be the strongest.
Says who?
The House is supposed to set the budget. It's in their powers.
The house is supposed to be able to declare war, it's in their powers.

As far as who? Our founding fathers wrote that. We have rights and the "peoples house" has rights.

Obiwan
Read the Constitution...

Obozo and Pelosi didn't.

The OP...

While I agree with the reasoning on Turley's arguments and the Judge's arguments in her ruling...

I fail to see a coherent statement from you that addresses anything in a substantive way.

what is your point?
The money was spent on the subsidies without Congressional approval, so Obama and the Democrats will have a problem when the people have to repay them...

A lot of people will be extremely pissed at the Democrats...

Read your information and think...

I can't do that for you.

I agree that the House has standing. Of all the branches of government the house is SUPPOSED to be the strongest.
The legal arguments in this particular case address the 'powers' of the different branches of government. Specifically, the powers of the lower house of the legislative branch and the executive branch.

Stronger? In what area, domestic laws, foreign policy, war and peace?

Many of the founding generation were all over the place on what branch should be more powerful. Not surprisingly they all mostly thought the branch they were a part of should be the most powerful. :lol:

The system was a new one and no one knew how it would turn out. Future generations preferred different branches over others throughout the history of the USA

Says who?

As far as who? Our founding fathers wrote that. We have rights and the "peoples house" has rights.
The House allocates money. I am not sure saying they 'set' the budget is accurate.

The full Congress, not the House, declares war. The House being the lower chamber of the legislative branch.

The founding generation ratified the Constitution. The framers set up a system that already existed -- one of divided government. Divided how? The lower chamber representing the people and the upper chamber being a check on the lower one. This is in addition to the Executive and the Judicial...

What you may be thinking of are opinions of select 'founders' who won or lost arguments with opponents and whose ideas later were regurgitated

your grasp of early American history is poor

Obiwan
Read the Constitution...

Obozo and Pelosi didn't.

The OP...

what is your point?
The money was spent on the subsidies without Congressional approval, so Obama and the Democrats will have a problem when the people have to repay them...

I can't do that for you.
repay them?

to quote an old America hero:
Nuts!

Whoever told you that nutty talking point is out to lunch

Obiwan
Read the Constitution...

Obozo and Pelosi didn't.

The OP...

what is your point?

I can't do that for you.
repay them?

to quote an old America hero:
Nuts!

Whoever told you that nutty talking point is out to lunch
If the subsidies weren't funded, where else do you think the money will come from???

Or did Obozo just steal it???

Says who?

nope!

the house AND SENATE have to declare war...

and the Senate consents on Judicial picks and Cabinet picks of the President.... and treaties, not the house.

it's 3 equal, but separate, branches of gvt

Says who?

nope!

and the Senate consents on Judicial picks and Cabinet picks of the President.... and treaties, not the house.

It starts in the house. ANYTHING started by the Senate MUST go to the House.

Judge Rosemary Collyet

Jonathan Turley:

The House’s entire legal team would like, first and foremost, to express its gratitude and respect for Judge Rosemary Collyer in issuing this historic and profound decision. The opinion is attached below. -- ( here it is: https://jonathanturley.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/burwell-order-sept-9-2015.pdf )

The ruling today means that the United States House of Representatives now will be heard on an issue that drives to the very heart of our constitutional system: the control of the legislative branch over the “power of the purse.” We are eager to present the House’s merits arguments to the Court and remain confident that our position will ultimately prevail in establishing the unconstitutional conduct alleged in this lawsuit.

Jonathan Turley

The latest argument :

Turley, who is the third lawyer to take the case after the first two quit, argued that what the president was doing in going around the appropriations process was an affront to a key power of Congress: the power of the purse. He said using a permanent appropriation to pay insurance companies rendered Congress’s control over appropriations “effectively decorative.”

While this particular set of oral arguments was over standing, there was hardly a mention of the original inspiration for the lawsuit: the president’s delay of the employer mandate. While that debate would occur at a later hearing if the judge reaches the actual case, the House’s argument seems to have shifted.
Turley told reporters after the oral arguments that the specific damage the House had endured — why the House has standing in this case — was because the executive branch was damaging the power of the purse.
----------------------

l wonder what conservatives and other opponents of the ruling by Chief Justice Roberts think about a case with more than one argument? I remember when the Obama administration used two separate arguments (Commerce Clause and the power to tax -- with precedent for a fee functioning as a tax for constitutional purposes) on why the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) should be ruled constitutional, and Roberts used the second argument to uphold the law, he was accused of making it up, when in reality it had been argued that way.

Pelosi told reporters at her weekly news conference she's confident that Wednesday's ruling by U.S. District Court Judge Rosemary Collyer will be overturned...

Pelosi called that ruling "astounding" and unprecedented. She says congressional Republicans "have tried 60 ways to repeal the Affordable Care Act and I believe this will be overturned."

The California Democrat says an appeals court "will not want to be an arbiter" in a dispute between the legislative and executive branches.

She is not addressing the legal arguments or the Judge's ruling. I expect more from her as she is no Boehner.

Wait does this mean the judge is a 'black robed tyrant'?

LOL.....

Judge Rosemary Collyet

Jonathan Turley:

Jonathan Turley

The latest argument :

----------------------

Wait does this mean the judge is a 'black robed tyrant'?

LOL.....

can we get a universal translator in aisle 3?

Says who?

nope!

It starts in the house. ANYTHING started by the Senate MUST go to the House.
again ... you're none too bright on this stuff.

technically you're correct, but bills and other things can originate in the Senate or the streets. The process is the House votes first. A declaration could start in the Senate and be sent over to the House to take up and vote upon to be sent back over to the Senate.

History

Forum List

Back