Players That Don't Post ......

In Mafia you're never going to appease everybody.

If you post less, players will find reasons to be paranoid of it. If you post more, other people will find reasons to be paranoid of it. Same with fluff and being extremely focused on game-related content. It depends on how well you know (and can work around) the personalities at play.

Very true Wake. I actually played a newbie game where the IC admitted that they had a hard time developing reads on day 1. That actually made me feel better about not being able to read people on day one. I feel I do better the longer the game goes on. Unless House is in the game cause I can't read him any better on day 7 than I can on day 1. :udaman: :p

Day 1, for me, is extremely difficult to get any sort of credible reads. You'd have to really get people talking in order to suss out anything suspicious. Days 2, 3, and beyond get so much easier.

If you see me being aggressive and forceful, chances are I'm Town. If you see me calm and providing big, thorough reads... eh, I might be Scum. ORLY? :D

Fact is, you can't read people if they don't post and you can't read people without those interactions. That's how the game is played, you need to post. Without people posting, you are banging your head against the wall. And people can fluff, but they need to post content. Lurking and excessive fluff posting is considered scummy. Scum have no reason to be active and scumhunt. They just have to fake it. It is very common for people at MS to pay attention to when people are online and if they are posting in other games or not. It isn't stalking. It's scumhunting. Scum hide out more. I know I do as scum. If you can't give game related content posts at least once a day, or are going to lurk, or you are going to post fluff, if you don't vote, if you don't give reads, you will be scumread. It's the way of the game.

If you don't have any reads and can't figure anyone out, then post that you don't have any reads and can't figure anyone out. It's a start. Post why you're having a problem getting a fix on players' alignments.

Day 1 is usually a mess for everyone, if Scum gets lynched it has a lot more to do with pure luck than with anyone's reads. The reads usually aren't any good until Day 3.

No need to be shy now that you know that.

Then, when you say you don't have any reads, the quick-wagon develops.

"Oh? You don't have reads? Scum!"

:D

Credit to reinoe for this quote but it's pretty good I think.

The sad thing is that this is true of mafiascum meta right now.

1) Cases make sense.
2) Player is behaving rationally.
3) Isn't blowing up and getting into fights with other players.
4) Seems townie.

must be scum.

Then, when you say you don't have any reads, the quick-wagon develops.

"Oh? You don't have reads? Scum!"

:D

Don't word it like that. Make observations about the other players. So and so seems like they want to game solve, scumhunt-leaning town, so and so is too quiet or too careful or posts look forced or fake or is taking things out of context-scumlean, so and so hasn't posted enough to get a read-null.

Ask questions and @ people to get them to answer. Ask them how they feel about a player you are wondering about. Ask them what they think about the game so far.

Do reaction testing-use the power of your vote, call it a gut read if you don't have a good reason, join a wagon early in the game, get people to react and that's how you get tells.

It shouldn't be too difficult to come up with something game related to say with all the different personalities at play in the game.

From the wiki:

As either alignment there can be times when you are not sure what you want to post - or if you want to post at all. This is normal. However, posting is generally seen as pro-Town while not posting simply lets the other players continue their trains of thought without interference (which is usually only useful for scum). Note that if if the game is at a standstill, lurking is profoundly harmful to the Town.

While some people are capable of lurking as a playstyle regardless of alignment, people don't like playing with lurkers in general and frequently criticize them for looking unreadable or scummy, making them choice policy lynches/vigs as well as objects of public ridicule. (Note that lurkers are not always unreadable or scummy, although the argument that they're not making the game any easier for Town is usually fair.)

Note that you can go too far with this - there is such a thing as posting too much. If other players are having a hard time catching up on the discussion because of the immense volume of posts that flowed in while they were away, it will hurt those players' contributions as well as your ability to read those players. It is possible to use this as a tactic as scum, but it has a tendency to result in inactivity replacements/modkills as the other players prefer to just let the game go instead of reading it all and trying to make sense of it.

1) Cases make sense.
4) Seems townie.

must be scum.

He pretty much summed up my scum game.

1) Cases make sense.
4) Seems townie.

must be scum.

He pretty much summed up my scum game.

That's mostly mine too. I'm going to need to change it because it is too different from my town game. Easier said than done because I get voted for and scumread a lot as town and I don't want that as scum. Definitely something to try to figure out.

There is no magic bullet. What works one day, doesn't work the next; what works 1 game might not work the next; what is true of one player, might not be true of another player. sometimes you just are playing probability. I think VT's are easier to spot than scum/PR's but that might be because scum and PR's tend to play too much alike for me.

Speaking of non-posting players, has anyone heard anything from Scarlet or MathBlade? They haven't been at the other site, either. I'm worried.

math has pmed me on one of my offsite locations.

i assume titus has rl obligations atm, last time she had a mass flake it was due to rl wrok

Hope she's doing ok. She's fun to play with, as well as her sister. :)

I am aliiiiiive!!!!

Titus has had a lot RL obligations and myself with the holidays. I miss y'all. I replaced into two games on different sites as favors and don't think I could take any more ATM. I will pop back in when I have time though.

I am aliiiiiive!!!!

Titus has had a lot RL obligations and myself with the holidays. I miss y'all. I replaced into two games on different sites as favors and don't think I could take any more ATM. I will pop back in when I have time though.
I require proof that you are in a living state....
:link:

I am aliiiiiive!!!!

So happy to hear you and Titus are doing well, thanks for stopping in!!

Forum List

Back