Organic Chemists...Why no artificial cartilage?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
As a registered Old Bastard, both I and every stinkin' one of my contemporaries who spent much of their adult lives in vigorous exercise has knees with deteriorated cartilage...the infamous "bone-on-bone" phenomenon. It's almost like knee replacement is a separate retirement program for ortho-surgeons.

And yet over my personal and professional life I have seen AMAZING substances that are used for gaskets, insulators, weather stripping, caulk, bumpers, and infinitely more uses. They have durability and resilience that is astounding.

But no artificial cartilage.

What gives? How is it even possible that such a substance hasn't been invented yet? While I admit my mind is readily boggled, to me this is mind boggling. This substance, once invented, would make a gazillionaire of the holder(s) of the patent.

What is the holdup?

As a registered Old Bastard, both I and every stinkin' one of my contemporaries who spent much of their adult lives in vigorous exercise has knees with deteriorated cartilage...the infamous "bone-on-bone" phenomenon. It's almost like knee replacement is a separate retirement program for ortho-surgeons.

And yet over my personal and professional life I have seen AMAZING substances that are used for gaskets, insulators, weather stripping, caulk, bumpers, and infinitely more uses. They have durability and resilience that is astounding.

What gives? How is it even possible that such a substance hasn't been invented yet? While I admit my mind is readily boggled, to me this is mind boggling. This substance, once invented, would make a gazillionaire of the holder(s) of the patent.

What is the holdup?

What is the holdup?
Golf got to you today? :)

What is the holdup?
Damn, I suppose you want eggs in your beer, too. My right patella looks like a crispy-fried pancake. I had the same fracture below the knee as Sam Bowie. Synthetic bone and donated bone was used to mend the trauma. The synthetic material grows like coral. Since I have #2 long screws in that area, a knee job is nill... no can do. You would think materials science would have something as you ask, but knee replacement is such a money maker.

I'm not usually a conspiracy guy but would Ortho-Surgeons FIGHT the use of an injectable artificial cartilage because it would take money out of their pockets?

What is the holdup?
They paid me to run for many 20 years. Hated it. Knew it was bad for me. Gave up running and jogging when I go out. Biking much better. Great exercise and no where near as rough on the knees and hips. Got a buddy (also 65) from high school who still runs marathons. He has had both knees replaced and one of his hips. Asked him why. Says he just loves it. Not me. Biking, kayaking, skiing, swimming and some occasional hiking are much better, although skiing ripped out an ACL, tore an MCL and took out a chunck of miniscus. My Orthopedist rebuilt it two years ago after the spill, out of my own spare parts. I was back on the slopes after rehab. Started rehab with a guy that had a knee replacement. He was released before I was, or else his insurance ran out. No, seriously he was only 50, still worked, and went back to work.
Why not get the knee replaced?

What is the holdup?
They paid me to run for many 20 years. Hated it. Knew it was bad for me. Gave up running and jogging when I go out. Biking much better. Great exercise and no where near as rough on the knees and hips. Got a buddy (also 65) from high school who still runs marathons. He has had both knees replaced and one of his hips. Asked him why. Says he just loves it. Not me. Biking, kayaking, skiing, swimming and some occasional hiking are much better, although skiing ripped out an ACL, tore an MCL and took out a chunck of miniscus. My Orthopedist rebuilt it two years ago after the spill, out of my own spare parts. I was back on the slopes after rehab. Started rehab with a guy that had a knee replacement. He was released before I was, or else his insurance ran out. No, seriously he was only 50, still worked, and went back to work.
Over 600K are done in the US annually. I know more than a few who have had more than 2 replacements per leg and some with bad infections afterwards where they wish they never did it in the first place. I put up with the arthritis and will forever. Diclofenac rubbed on the knee twice a day helps some.

What is the holdup?
Over 600K are done in the US annually. I know more than a few who have had more than 2 replacements per leg and some with bad infections afterwards where they wish they never did it in the first place. I put up with the arthritis and will forever. Diclofenac rubbed on the knee twice a day helps some.
Wow. Sounds bad. I sure as heck would not get it done while Covid-19 going around in hospitals. Could be a killer. Sounds like a post surgical infection not uncommon where you are, even without a pandemic.

What is the holdup?
Wow. Sounds bad. I sure as heck would not get it done while Covid-19 going around in hospitals. Could be a killer. Sounds like a post surgical infection not uncommon where you are, even without a pandemic.
Here in CA, there is a website where you can enter the surgeons name and get specific data on how many replacements and infection rates. Some doctors do 2 a day. Everyone (patients) have their own problems. Healing rates, atrophy, etc. are big factors to consider since you need to be walking and exercising on it soon after the surgery. Some with obesity, poor health, and bad habits like smoking/alcoholism factor in. I wanted a new knee but having to remove the internal fixation and 5 screws plus 6 months minumum heal time before a replacement... I said forget it.

What is the holdup?
Here in CA, there is a website where you can enter the surgeons name and get specific data on how many replacements and infection rates. Some doctors do 2 a day. Everyone (patients) have their own problems. Healing rates, atrophy, etc. are big factors to consider since you need to be walking and exercising on it soon after the surgery. Some with obesity, poor health, and bad habits like smoking/alcoholism factor in. I wanted a new knee but having to remove the internal fixation and 5 screws plus 6 months minumum heal time before a replacement... I said forget it.
Knee surgery was most painful thing I've ever had done (worse than ripping it out) and my surgery was just cutting out part of my quad, to drill and replace ACL and trim the meniscus. You are about right on the rehab and yes at my age it truly sucked and I had to keep on with my own rehab after they finished with me to get back into skiing condition.

I'm not usually a conspiracy guy but would Ortho-Surgeons FIGHT the use of an injectable artificial cartilage because it would take money out of their pockets?
I'm sure the surgeon and the fake new joint manu's say we got them and so why stop now. They love older clients. Those joints need to be changed sooner than you think. Maybe 5-6 years and then time for another.
Cortizone worked for about as long as it took me to get home after injecting. I was getting hyaluronic acid injections every 6 months which worked for me. Then my pesky insurance co decided that the success rate of it was not sufficient to cover any longer.

Sometimes artificially grown cartilage might just be a patch. There are many metabolic, disease and even genetic processes that might have made the cartilage susceptible to damage in the first place. I had to have spinal surgery a few years ago due to multiple ruptured disks. I was talking with my surgeon before hand about how I had done so much damage to my disks and what was I doing wrong. He said he thinks there’s a genetic, heritable component. As soon as he said that, I realized all the surgeries that I and my siblings have had have all been surgeries for “structural” problems associated with cartilage, my mom also.

Forum List

Back