Only 1% of public complaints against Toronto cops led to a disciplinary hearing in past 5 years

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Remember this as you help Canadian police destroy our young. For all of you "tough on crime" "hug-a-thuggers" (as long as the thug is one of "ours") who want to justify supporting possibly the most corrupt police system in the West, you are doing similar work the Gestapo were doing.

We all support the good apples and want the bad gone. However, how can anyone be sure of who is good and who is bad when there is zero oversight? This report is stating that basically "99% of our citizens are full of shyte". Not even Putin enjoys such popularity in the polls!

Canada is not your ally, neither is Donald H, or Luiza. Book it.

"The numbers tell a story of failure," said lawyer Dave Shellnutt, who has done extensive research on the OIPRD. "The lack of enforcement and penalty is indicative of a broken, if not a failed system of review of police activity."

Between 2014 and 2019 there were 3,806 complaints made to the OIPRD about Toronto police officers, and a little over half of those complaints were investigated by either the OIPRD itself or were more often referred back to the professional standards unit within Toronto police.

Only 92 of those complaints, or two per cent, were substantiated, and only one per cent have gone before the Toronto police disciplinary tribunal.

'I was devastated,' OIPRD complainant says​

Shellnutt's client Amanda Henry filed one of the few substantiated complaints, but a disciplinary hearing was never held because the OIPRD took too long to complete its report.

"I was devastated," Henry told CBC News.

"It was kind of out of my hands … The system is not for the complainant and it's in favour of the officers you're filing the complaint against."

Henry made her OIPRD complaint after a Toronto police officer entered her apartment in October 2016 while she was at the doctor's office with two of her kids. The officer was responding to a report from a police document server that Henry's other two children, aged 9 and 10, had been left home alone.

Forum List

Back