Ohio university pays out $400,000 to Christian professor 'for violating his First Amendment Rights' after he was investigated for refusing to use tran

AMart

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2020
  • Shawnee State agreed to a $400k settlement with professor Nick Meriwether after a court determined that the school violated his First Amendment rights
  • Meriwether, a devout Christian and philosophy professor, sued the school after it punished him for refusing to use a transgender student's preferred pronouns
  • 'I guess this means I can call you a cu**,' the student told Meriwether when he said his religion prevented him from using their preferred pronouns
  • Meriwether said that he attempted to reach several compromises with the school over pronouns but they forced him to comply despite his religious beliefs
After class the student, who was born a male but identifies as a female, asked that Merewether refer to them as a woman and with female pronouns.

Merewether said he could not comply with the student's wishes because they violated his religious beliefs that gender is determined from the moment of conception.

Court documents say that the student became belligerent when Meriwether refused to comply, told him he would be fired, and said 'I guess this means I can call you a cu**.'

Dean Roberta Millikan repeatedly refused to compromise with Meriwether's beliefs
The student filed a complaint with the school, and Meriwether was told by Dean Roberta Millikan to refrain from using gender pronouns at all in his class. Meriwether said this was next to impossible and offered to refer to the transgender student by their last name only, which Millikan accepted.

The student then complained to the school twice more - once after Meriwether referred to them as 'Mr.' before correcting himself - and threatened legal action if they did not take action against Meriwether.

Meriwether then offered to refer to all students by their preferred pronouns if he could include a note in his syllabus stating that he was doing so 'under compulsion and setting forth his personal and religious beliefs about gender identity.'

Dean Millikan refused this option on the grounds that it would violate Shawnee's gender-identity policy.

Millikan then informed Meriwether that an investigation was being opened into the complaints against him, which later resulted in the claim that he had 'created a hostile environment' in his classroom.

• Shawnee State agreed to a $400k settlement with professor Nick Meriwether after a court determined that the school violated his First Amendment rights
  • Meriwether, a devout Christian and philosophy professor, sued the school after it punished him for refusing to use a transgender student's preferred pronouns
  • 'I guess this means I can call you a cu**,' the student told Meriwether when he said his religion prevented him from using their preferred pronouns
  • Meriwether said that he attempted to reach several compromises with the school over pronouns but they forced him to comply despite his religious beliefs
After class the student, who was born a male but identifies as a female, asked that Merewether refer to them as a woman and with female pronouns.

Merewether said he could not comply with the student's wishes because they violated his religious beliefs that gender is determined from the moment of conception.

Court documents say that the student became belligerent when Meriwether refused to comply, told him he would be fired, and said 'I guess this means I can call you a cu**.'

Dean Roberta Millikan repeatedly refused to compromise with Meriwether's beliefs
The student filed a complaint with the school, and Meriwether was told by Dean Roberta Millikan to refrain from using gender pronouns at all in his class. Meriwether said this was next to impossible and offered to refer to the transgender student by their last name only, which Millikan accepted.

The student then complained to the school twice more - once after Meriwether referred to them as 'Mr.' before correcting himself - and threatened legal action if they did not take action against Meriwether.

Meriwether then offered to refer to all students by their preferred pronouns if he could include a note in his syllabus stating that he was doing so 'under compulsion and setting forth his personal and religious beliefs about gender identity.'

Dean Millikan refused this option on the grounds that it would violate Shawnee's gender-identity policy.

Millikan then informed Meriwether that an investigation was being opened into the complaints against him, which later resulted in the claim that he had 'created a hostile environment' in his classroom.

Good for him.

Maybe now these people will start to realize the idiocy of referring to a biological male as a woman...

Seems to me that the student, Milikan, is the one that created a hostile environment.

While I agree with his practice of free speech and his religious rights and I don't support violating them.............

The Bible doesn't say this. I suppose he wasn't specific about the Bible though.

While I agree with his practice of free speech and his religious rights and I don't support violating them.............

The Bible doesn't say this. I suppose he wasn't specific about the Bible though.
Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

Genesis 1:27
So God created man in his own image,
in the image of God he created him;
male and female he created them.

Which is what we are discussing here.

"In his own image". Do you suppose God has no arm like some are born without? Do you suppose God is blind like some are born?

Forum List

Back