Ohio admits earthquakes indirect result of fracking

in the news Breaking News: Daily News from the Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A dozen earthquakes in northeastern Ohio were almost certainly induced by injection of gas-drilling wastewater into the earth, state regulators said Friday as they announced a series of tough new rules for drillers.

After quakes, Ohio plans tough gas-drilling rules *| ajc.com

Does anyone know what caused earthquakes before idiots started blaming them on fracking?

hmmm, I guess you are shooting from the lisp again. :eusa_whistle:

Can't answer that, can you? Ohio had quakes for years before they fracked anything, they are having quakes now. Unless they have a time machine somewhere, I don't see the connection.

how long before the right attacks the science? :eusa_whistle:

What science? All the real science says fracking does not cause earthquakes. The best evidence of that is that we there were earthquakes before anyone ever thought of fracking.

that just might be the dumbest thing you've ever said here. and THAT is saying lots.

you probably used to mention there was no evidence smoking cigarettes caused or contributed to lung cancer because lung cancer existed before cigarettes?

Fracking has been in use since 1947. I am pretty sure that, if it actually caused earthquakes, someone would have figured it out by now.

On the other hand, tell a bunch of idiots that fracking causes earthquakes, then tell them that there is fracking going on, and they suddenly start noticing it when the chandelier rattles a bit.

It is kinda like the link between autism and vaccinations, it only exists in idiots heads, but everyone believed it because no one had disproved it. Welcome to junk science and idiocy, any moment know you will start believing the Mayan calendar and astrology.

Do you have a link or did you just make that up?

There are exactly two reports that show any link between fracking and earthquakes, and neither of them show causation, just correlation. They both also admit that it happened in high earthquake areas, and that the quakes were minor.

"Our evidence strongly suggests that the injection fluid lubricated a previously unmapped fault and contributed to seismic activity," said Natural Resources spokesman Carlo LoParo. "It was an unfortunate situation, and the operator drilled the well to specifications and operated within all permitted levels."

The report said: "Geologists believe it is very difficult for all conditions to be met to induce seismic events. In fact, all the evidence indicates that properly located ... injection wells will not cause earthquakes."
:(

The evidence strongly suggest ... unmapped fault... contributed to...

Sounds convincing to me.

:eusa_boohoo:

There are exactly two reports that show any link between fracking and earthquakes, and neither of them show causation, just correlation. They both also admit that it happened in high earthquake areas, and that the quakes were minor.

"Our evidence strongly suggests that the injection fluid lubricated a previously unmapped fault and contributed to seismic activity," said Natural Resources spokesman Carlo LoParo. "It was an unfortunate situation, and the operator drilled the well to specifications and operated within all permitted levels."

The report said: "Geologists believe it is very difficult for all conditions to be met to induce seismic events. In fact, all the evidence indicates that properly located ... injection wells will not cause earthquakes."
:(

The evidence strongly suggest ... unmapped fault... contributed to...

Sounds convincing to me.

:eusa_boohoo:

You do know that those phrases equal certainty in the CT world, right? :D

Yep, This injection well is about a mile from my Brothers house. I'm maybe 7 miles away from it straight line. We felt one of the dozen quakes here. And I suppose it's possible the injection well is to blame, but i still have a hard time believing that we can cause an earthquake without using a nuke.....
Why?

Move enough material out from under the earth, dramatically change the pressure that formerly held a geological structure in place, and the earth is going to shift to reflect that new structure and pressure in that earth.

Fracking breaks down the structure that formerly held the ground in place.

Do enough of it and earthquakes are inevitable.

Last edited:
Yep, This injection well is about a mile from my Brothers house. I'm maybe 7 miles away from it straight line. We felt one of the dozen quakes here. And I suppose it's possible the injection well is to blame, but i still have a hard time believing that we can cause an earthquake without using a nuke.....

This is not the first time that injection from deep wells has caused earthquakes.

http://foodfreedom.files.wordpress....ction-report-to-epa-nicholson-wesson-1990.pdf

in the news Breaking News: Daily News from the Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio — A dozen earthquakes in northeastern Ohio were almost certainly induced by injection of gas-drilling wastewater into the earth, state regulators said Friday as they announced a series of tough new rules for drillers.

Although no one will ever admit it, I have always thought that the underground nuclear testing of the 60s and 70s was a factor in earthquakes. Certainly things we do on a large scale can alter the crust of the earth. Across the river from me in Missouri sink holes have been developing for years due to lowering the underground water table secondary to crop irrigation. The fields are humongous and it takes a lot of water to irrigate them. That area is feeling the repercussions of years and years of pumping water out of the ground.

Of courese, I find it rather romantic to believe that the earthquakes are caused because this is the 'end of the age' of which Christ spoke, and even perhaps because Nibiru or Planet X is headed our way bringing with it the Anunnaki who will once again advance our civilization light years beyond what it currently is. I was so disappointed when it was apparent that I would likely not be around on 12-21-12. Now, that it looks like I may be, I am ecstatic just to see what happens.

Last edited:
Why?

Move enough material out from under the earth, dramatically change the pressure that formerly held a geological structure in place, and the earth is going to shift to reflect that new structure and pressure in that earth.

As are sink holes which they are learning in some agricultural areas.

Wow, look here people I've been discussing this on a local board here for at least 6 months. Remember I am 7 miles from this injection well as the crow flies. Almost immediately the local Green Party nutcases were out protesting against the fracking and the injection well. It didn't matter to them that there are 177 injection wells in the state and there has never been one accused of an earthquake until now.

They had a local professor from YSU join with them pointing the finger and then a State representative jumped on the bandwagon. It's been a real show around here. 7 miles away and I felt one of the reported 12 quakes in a little over a year. My brother, one mile from the injection well felt 2 of them.

I accept that it may be possible that forcing this brine water into the earth 9000 ft deep might cause some type of reaction, but why now and not 30 years ago in some other injection site?

I would love to see the real earthquake experts get over here and do a real study and get rid of the possibles and maybes.

And please remember that Fracking and injection are 2 different things.

Can't answer that, can you? Ohio had quakes for years before they fracked anything, they are having quakes now. Unless they have a time machine somewhere, I don't see the connection.

Northeast Ohio had a huge earthquake in 1985 that caused a lot of damage.

Wow, look here people I've been discussing this on a local board here for at least 6 months. Remember I am 7 miles from this injection well as the crow flies. Almost immediately the local Green Party nutcases were out protesting against the fracking and the injection well. It didn't matter to them that there are 177 injection wells in the state and there has never been one accused of an earthquake until now.

They had a local professor from YSU join with them pointing the finger and then a State representative jumped on the bandwagon. It's been a real show around here. 7 miles away and I felt one of the reported 12 quakes in a little over a year. My brother, one mile from the injection well felt 2 of them.

I accept that it may be possible that forcing this brine water into the earth 9000 ft deep might cause some type of reaction, but why now and not 30 years ago in some other injection site?

I would love to see the real earthquake experts get over here and do a real study and get rid of the possibles and maybes.

And please remember that Fracking and injection are 2 different things.

Scientists who challenge the approved propaganda are punished too severely for any but the most courageous to tell the truth.

Why?

Bullshit.

Digging out tons of earth for a coal mine, which also involves pumping out millions of gallons of water, barely causes earthquakes, and that usually takes years before the strain actually shifts the earth. If it didn't, no one would ever go into a mine because there would be to many earthquakes causing them to collapse. Fracking, if we are to believe you, causes the same kind of strain after pumping a minute fraction of the water involved in mining into the ground, without actually moving any dirt, and it happens all but instantaneously. Do you see why geologists look at these claims with a large degree of skepticism?

I just heard this on the radio news too.

how long before the right attacks the science? :eusa_whistle:

The scientists are the ones saying it's not their fault, idiot. Didn't even read your own article?

reading/comprehension still your weak suit?

Fracking has been linked to two minor earthquakes in northwest England, very likely by lubricating an already stressed fault zone and thus making it easier for the land to shift (pdf). A report in August (pdf) by seismologist Austin Holland at the OGS also suggested that a swarm of nearly 50 small quakes of magnitude 1.0 to 2.8 near the center of the state might have been triggered by nearby fracking.

Still, researchers say it seems unlikely that fracking had anything to do with last weekend's magnitude 5.6 quake

"I won't say that man's activity never ever caused the release of seismic stress, but hydro-fracks are such small things," Keller adds. "If we were talking a magnitude 1 or 2 earthquake, that'd be different,..."

Did Fracking Cause Oklahoma's Largest Recorded Earthquake?: Scientific American

get it?

you stupid ideologues can't read and comprehend at the same time.

Actually very possible. There has been a great deal of observational data taken over the decades that show water injection will cause minor earthquakes. There is even a group who feel that it might be a good way to reduce major earthquakes by causing thousands of smaller ones to relieve the strain along the fault line.

Forum List

Back